Child process error on tar xzf

Post by Paul M Sarge » Mon, 02 Oct 1995 04:00:00

This may be a well known occurence, but I wouldn't mind knowing if it is
just my system.

When I execute `tar xzf compressed-tarfile.tar.gz` I sometimes get
(depends on the tar file) the following error message when it gets to the
end.

Quote:> gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
> tar: child returned status 1

Is this common? Whats happening here?

Oh and btw `gzip -cd compressed-tarfile.tar.gz | tar xf -` gets the same
thing. Understandable! That is basically what tar is doing. Even so,
doing a seperate `gzip -d compressed tarfile.tar.gz` and `tar xf tarfile.tar`
works without any messages.

The files it gets out of the archive all look okay, but I'm never quite
as trusting with them.

Any explanations??!!

Paul

Microelectronics,
Brunel University, London U.K.

Child process error on tar xzf

Post by Nick Ke » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>This may be a well known occurence, but I wouldn't mind knowing if it is
>just my system.

Nope, it's not just your system, it's mine as well.

Quote:>When I execute `tar xzf compressed-tarfile.tar.gz` I sometimes get
>(depends on the tar file) the following error message when it gets to the
>end.

>> gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
>> tar: child returned status 1

>Is this common? Whats happening here?

Well I've seen this error more than once as well. I've attributed it to a
pretty full file system (I was working with a 60 meg tar file as well). If
you've got loads of free space then I'm at a loss to what could be causing it.

Try grabbing the soruce to gzip and checking when it exists with a status of
1.

Not much more help here I'm afraid.