building a pc

Post by JLP » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

 Hi,
First off, I'm completely new to Linux.  I'm interested in building my
own pc to run linux on.  I'd like to be able to network to windows,
access my computer remotely if possible(I imagine so)...I guess that
means server type stuff.  Also program(probably nothing real taxing on
the cpu).
I'd like keep the budget low if possible, but I'm more than willing to
spend extra on good components.
And that brings me to the main point:
What are good components?...I know that I have to check compatibility
with linux before I buy...I'm looking for some direction on what type
of components(not necessarily the name brand) and some pointers on
where to find info on components etc.
Thanks jeremy

--
Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad.
Aldous Huxley

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

building a pc

Post by JLP » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Anyone have anything to say????

Quote:>  Hi,

--

Post by Warren Jon » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I'm interested in building my own pc to run linux on ...

See:

    http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/lj-howtobuild.html
    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html

--
Warren Jones              | To keep every cog and wheel is the first
Fluke Corporation         | precaution of intelligent tinkering.