Problem with man on Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux

Problem with man on Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux

Post by David Emp » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

...namely and to wit, it only works when I'm root.  If I
try to use it from any other account, I get the message
"Problem setting effective user id" and no output.
From the output of "man -d" is appears that the problem
is somewhere after the formatted output is copied to
catman/whatever.  Curiously, if the catman output already
exists, I do get the man page, even when I'm not root,
but I also get the error message described above.
Does anyone know what causes this?
Any help would be appreciated.
--
-Dave Empey (speaking only for myself)
 ...all Angelenos *know* that those dastardly Canadians have specially

Post by David Emp » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>: ...namely and to wit, it only works when I'm root.  If I
>: try to use it from any other account, I get the message
>: "Problem setting effective user id" and no output.
>: From the output of "man -d" is appears that the problem
>: is somewhere after the formatted output is copied to
>: catman/whatever.  Curiously, if the catman output already
>: exists, I do get the man page, even when I'm not root,
>: but I also get the error message described above.
>: Does anyone know what causes this?
>: Any help would be appreciated.
>I had assumed that I had done something to hose my system,
>since I have the exact same problem.  Would have thought
>that if Yggdrasil had screwed up something this obvious,
>that THIS would have hit the errata sheet on their site
>before some of the little nits they point up.  Tell me,
>do you also have a problem with kernel messages (like
>when mounting a CD or using a tape) puking out over your
>current console instead of logging?  (If so, obtain and
>install klogd in /sbin and make sure it gets started on
>boot.)

I thought I'd hosed my system too, but I've now installed it
three times and it's still there, so if it is me, I managed
to do it three times in a row.  I'm glad to hear I'm not
the only one with the problem.  Somebody e-mailed me with a
suggestion to check the permissions on the catman directories,
which I haven't tried yet.

Yes, kernel messages do puke over my current console.  I'll
try klogd; thanks.

Quote:>John M.            This post was 100% M$ Free!

Good!
--

Post by John M. Morr » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

[...]

1. Problem with man on Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to have this problem, as it cost
me $20 to get the answer from Yggdrasil tech support.  "man" needs to
be setuid man, not setuid root.  It worked for me.

--
Peter Fales                       AT&T, Room 9C-242
N9IYJ                             2000 N. Naperville Rd.

2. Security and logins

3. Comilation of Linux kernel for "Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux"

4. PCNFSD in Solaris

5. New Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux Release

6. Help installing infomagic CD

7. Using UMSDOS with Yggdrasil Plug-And-Play Linux

8. EV7 will never ship?

9. Yggdrasil Fall 1994 Plug-and-Play Linux

10. Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux: Fall 1994 "revB" floppy

11. New Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux Release

12. Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux CD-ROM forsale

13. Booting Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play from DOS