Help, I need to change my video card

Post by Lamar Thoma » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:22:48

I am running RH 7.1 with all of the updates with an old 4MB PCI video card.
I just bought a new 32MB PCI video card and would like to install it without
reinstalling Linux.

The specs on the new card are as follows:

Chip set: Nvidia TNT2 M64 32MB PCI.

My problem is that I don't know enough about XF386config (or the other "X"
config files). I like to run at 1152x864 resolution. I have a nice 19"
monitor that can handle it fine.

Will Linux PnP the card? Thanks for any and all help.

Lamar

Help, I need to change my video card

Post by davide_sp.. » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:36:30

Quote:> Chip set: Nvidia TNT2 M64 32MB PCI.

You have to download the new NVidia driver from their web site and
install the driver as a module in the kernel. So if your kernel does
not support/use modules, you have to recompile it.
The configuration of the NVidia is pretty much easy. Just follow the
instructions that came with the drivers. I strongly suggest you to
download the source code for the driver and compile them yourself,
since the 'prepackaged' version is known to give some trouble...

Davide

Post by root » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:29:21

>> Chip set: Nvidia TNT2 M64 32MB PCI.

> You have to download the new NVidia driver from their web site and
> install the driver as a module in the kernel. So if your kernel does
> not support/use modules, you have to recompile it.
> The configuration of the NVidia is pretty much easy. Just follow the
> instructions that came with the drivers. I strongly suggest you to
> download the source code for the driver and compile them yourself,
> since the 'prepackaged' version is known to give some trouble...

> Davide

Just in case: make sure you boot into console mode before changing the
card. Remove anything that sets the display to other than 80x25. You
can use the built in "nv" driver but it doesn't support all the features
that the NVidia driver does. Save a copy of your XF86Config file
before you swap out the card. The location of this file might be different
for you, mine is in /etc/X11/XF86Config. After you swap video cards
you can try to set up the new card using xf86config or whatever
display configuration comes with your distribution.

Post by Andreas Daa » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:21:37

> I am running RH 7.1 with all of the updates with an old 4MB PCI video
> card. I just bought a new 32MB PCI video card and would like to install it
> without reinstalling Linux.

> The specs on the new card are as follows:

> Chip set: Nvidia TNT2 M64 32MB PCI.

> My problem is that I don't know enough about XF386config (or the other "X"
> config files). I like to run at 1152x864 resolution. I have a nice 19"
> monitor that can handle it fine.

> Will Linux PnP the card? Thanks for any and all help.

> Lamar

1. Download the NVidia Kernel as Source and GLX driver as RPM
2. Does your Linux directly boot into X? If it does, disable this by
changing the following line in /etc/inittab from:
id:5:initdefault:
to:
id:3:initdefault:
3. Install the NVidia Kernel driver (a help file is included):
- extract the tarball
- Do a 'make' in the created directory
4. Does '/etc/X11/X' point to '../../usr/X11/bin/XFree86'? If it doesn't,
change this link.
5. Edit the XF86Config-4 (help is included in the
'/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0'):
- Change the Driver in the Device Section for the videocard to "nvidia"
- Go to the Section 'Screen' and change/input the line 'DefaultDepth 24'
- Edit the Display SubSection
SubSection "Display"
        Depth     24
        Modes     "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
6. Restart X
7. If it works, change the inittab behaviour, as you like.

Help, I need to change my video card

Post by David L. Johnso » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:25:31

It sort of depends on the version of linux you have.  I?just installed a new
version of debian (woody) on a new machine that had a similar card.  debian
provides an install script that is run when you install/change a program.  It
should set things up correctly for you.

BTW, with a 19" monitor you can get a much higher resolution with that card.
I use 1600x1200 at 24bpp.  It is very nice.  I?find that I want to upgrade my
other machine so I can get that kind of resolution.

Also, which runlevel corresponds to what sort of performance depends on the
system you have, so take the advice to change from runlevel 3 to 5 with a
large grain of salt.  My old system used runlevel 6 for console login, and the
new one uses that for reboot.  I _almost_ just changed to runlevel 6.  Imagine
what would have happened.

But, all that a given runlevel does is look in /etc/rc#.d to see what is
started.  Each rc#.d has a collection of symlinks to init scripts in
/etc/init.d and those that are there are started at that bootlevel.  An easy
way to remove xdm, a silly program IMO, is to remove the symlink.

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can
 _`\(,_  | assure you that mine are all greater.  -- A. Einstein
(_)/ (_) |

1. Programming video card (ATI card w/ s-video & tv-out) Need direction to correct info

Hi,
    I hope some people read this and can help me out.

I have a ATI Rage Pro pci video card that has s-video and tv-out. I want
to be able to use the s-video and tv-out on the card. Now, is this down
by the app(like what I find on Video4Linux) or is it in Xfree86?

I want to know if there has been a driver developed which accesses the
s-video and tv-out on the ATI card. If so, a pointer to the source would
be great.

If not, then I would like to know how would I go about to use the
s-video and tv-out. I just need some clarification on if the actual app
would take care of loading up the s-video interface and tv-out interface
or if it is the actual video card driver(Xfree86?).

Thanks for any help in advanced and if it isn't too much trouble, can
you also cc: you rhelp to my e-mail?

Gracias!

K.

2. Q: change from KDE to Gnome

3. mutiple tv tuner cards and video capture cards, help needed

4. can't find the scsi card on red hat 6.0 adaptec 1505

5. Can't change video resolutions for 3D Blaster Banshee Video Card

6. Ingres wview runs on Tek XP115M but not on XP214M

7. No Mouse after changing video card from an ISA card to Jaton TNT2 M64 AGP

8. STB Riva .. Problems?

9. Need help changing video servers without xf86config

10. need help setting up ImageAccel video card...

11. Need help with X setup and monitor or video card?

12. need help with video card installing

13. I need help in configuring xconfig 'Clocks' for my video card