ethernet setting to 100baseT?

Post by mark grimsha » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 18:53:20

Hi all,

RH7.0

I have a net-lynx Ethernet 10/100 NIC currently operating at 10mbps.
I've hooked it up to a network socket that I know operates at 100baseT.
How do I change the NIC to 100mbps?

I've tried:
ifconfig eth0 media 100baseT

but get the error:
SIOCSIFMAP operation not supported

ethernet setting to 100baseT?

Post by Tauno Voipi » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 02:53:02

Quote:> Hi all,

> RH7.0

> I have a net-lynx Ethernet 10/100 NIC currently operating at 10mbps.
> I've hooked it up to a network socket that I know operates at 100baseT.
> How do I change the NIC to 100mbps?

> I've tried:
> ifconfig eth0 media 100baseT

> but get the error:
> SIOCSIFMAP operation not supported

Are you sure that the socket is 10/100 Mb/s? The dual-speed interfaces are
capable of auto-setting the speed if the thing at the other end of the
socket really supports 100 Mb/s.

Another cause may be that the NIC driver is forced to use low speed only.

Which kernel, distribution and NIC driver?

Tauno Voipio

Post by mark grimsha » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:17:52

> > Hi all,

> > RH7.0

> > I have a net-lynx Ethernet 10/100 NIC currently operating at 10mbps.
> > I've hooked it up to a network socket that I know operates at 100baseT.
> > How do I change the NIC to 100mbps?

> > I've tried:
> > ifconfig eth0 media 100baseT

> > but get the error:
> > SIOCSIFMAP operation not supported

> Are you sure that the socket is 10/100 Mb/s? The dual-speed interfaces are
> capable of auto-setting the speed if the thing at the other end of the
> socket really supports 100 Mb/s.

> Another cause may be that the NIC driver is forced to use low speed only.

> Which kernel, distribution and NIC driver?

> Tauno Voipio

I'm currently checking with the network guys here about the status of that
socket.

(RH7.0, kernel 2.2, no idea about the NIC driver but it's a net-lynx that
seems to be 3com based.

1. 100BaseT ethernet cards

--
*** DePaul Online - A Service Provided by:
*** The Information Technology division of

2. Can I help me?

3. syslog problem

4. HP 100VG-AnyLAN/9000 - is it 100BaseT ethernet?

5. creating symlinks and reading and creating directories

6. What's a cheap 100BaseT ethernet card?

7. ISR and BH structure passing question

8. 100baseT Ethernet, (be vs. hme, Big Mac vs. Happy Meal)

9. 100BaseT Ethernet card

10. Good 100BaseT Ethernet card for SCO OS5??

11. Ethernet 100BaseT adaptor recommendations?

12. Cheap 100baseT ethernet hubs?