Stereo Ethernet problem...

Post by Branko badrljic » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 06:40:49

Hi to all,

one of my machines is Athlon 700 MHz (brick version, not socket), with 40 Gb
EIDE drive, 128 Mb SDRAM and two el-cheapo 10/100 Mbit Ethernet cards, based
on Realtek's 8139. Oh, yes / motherboard is Gigabyte's GA-7IX rev1.1.
I have 2.4.18pre7 kernel (latest), but also several older 2.4's and all
behave in the same way. Cards, get detected O.K. as kernel reports them and
ifconfig also reports both.

And here is the problem. Earlier, with only one card, everything worked
perfectly for months. After I added another, first one has stoped working.
I mean, kernel detects it and ifconfig reports it, but I cant reach any of
machine services through it from another machine.

If I config down the second one/eth1, then eth0 starts working just fine,
but at the moment of "ifconfig eth1 up" eth0 freezes. It's not the card,
since I have tried exchanging the cards and even other manufacturer (tried
3com's 509) with the same effect.

Someone said that it might be that my PCI slots are not for bus masters (and
Ethernet needs that capability) but one card alone works fine from any PCI
slot and two doesn't work in any slot combination (adjacent, non adjacent,
corner slots, random slots etc).

It has also been said that some motherboards have shared mastership for
several adjacent slots, so two bus masters in adjacent slots might not work
on some motherboards, but is it possible that some crappy boards have shared
mastership for ALL slots ? Also, I wouldn't consider this MB as crap.

I ifconfiged thing somewhat like this:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.55 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up
ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.54 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up

So, both cards are on local LAN 192.168.0.x. eth0 is on address 55 and eth1
is on 54.

I have two services -sshd (instead of telnet) and ftp that I'm playing with
at the moment. Both daemons work through inetd.

Is it possible that inetd gets confused about the card it should send
response to, when both cards are "up" ?

Thanks in advance,

Branko

Stereo Ethernet problem...

Post by Ian Northeas » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:50:41

> Hi to all,

> one of my machines is Athlon 700 MHz (brick version, not socket), with 40 Gb
> EIDE drive, 128 Mb SDRAM and two el-cheapo 10/100 Mbit Ethernet cards, based
> on Realtek's 8139. Oh, yes / motherboard is Gigabyte's GA-7IX rev1.1.
> I have 2.4.18pre7 kernel (latest), but also several older 2.4's and all
> behave in the same way. Cards, get detected O.K. as kernel reports them and
> ifconfig also reports both.

> And here is the problem. Earlier, with only one card, everything worked
> perfectly for months. After I added another, first one has stoped working.
> I mean, kernel detects it and ifconfig reports it, but I cant reach any of
> machine services through it from another machine.

> If I config down the second one/eth1, then eth0 starts working just fine,
> but at the moment of "ifconfig eth1 up" eth0 freezes. It's not the card,
> since I have tried exchanging the cards and even other manufacturer (tried
> 3com's 509) with the same effect.

> Someone said that it might be that my PCI slots are not for bus masters (and
> Ethernet needs that capability) but one card alone works fine from any PCI
> slot and two doesn't work in any slot combination (adjacent, non adjacent,
> corner slots, random slots etc).

> It has also been said that some motherboards have shared mastership for
> several adjacent slots, so two bus masters in adjacent slots might not work
> on some motherboards, but is it possible that some crappy boards have shared
> mastership for ALL slots ? Also, I wouldn't consider this MB as crap.

> I ifconfiged thing somewhat like this:

> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.55 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up
> ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.54 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up

> So, both cards are on local LAN 192.168.0.x. eth0 is on address 55 and eth1
> is on 54.

I suggest putting the two cards in different networks. What are you
trying to achieve by putting them both in the same one? All traffic for
that network will be sent down one or the other, although you should be
able to reach both from outside (but responses will come down a single
path).

What are you actually trying to do here?

Regards, Ian

Stereo Ethernet problem...

Post by Branko badrljic » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:26:21

Quote:> I suggest putting the two cards in different networks. What are you
> trying to achieve by putting them both in the same one? All traffic for
> that network will be sent down one or the other, although you should be
> able to reach both from outside (but responses will come down a single
> path).

> What are you actually trying to do here?

> Regards, Ian

I was rearanging the furniture  in my workplace and while reconecting
everything back I managed to smoke the hub. I have two programmers and
million of small gadgets on my machine and i pluged in Intel's hub (which is
made in China, demands pure 5V DC and has no overvoltage protection)
wall-wart from something else, which had 9V instead and... fzzt ! It is
beyond repair and i don't feel like paying $100 or more for a stupid hub.

So, since all 3 machines are on local net (192.168.0.x) and one is running
Linux and acts as a local ftp,http server to other two Winmachines and I
occasionaly use it to burn CD's, I thought it would be a good idea to plug
one more Ethernet card in it and make it act as a hub or bridge, if you
like. I was thinking about using it later as a printer server and big
storage space (Samba)...

I bought extra 100Mbit UTP Ethernet card for $12 and revired both cards in
Linux box, to act as a hub (no big deal, just rewired four pins on the
connector). Hardware works great, but software end kills me.

I have Win2k machine with ISDN on 192.168.0.1 and other Win2K machine on
192.168.0.100

Before the accident Linux machine was on 192.168.0.55. First Win2k machine
was masquerading other machines for internet/mail/etc access. (You know,
that option in Win2k under networking -"Enable Internet access to other
machines on the local network")

Since Linux machine has to have two cards now, i have put second one on
192.168.0.54, just to avoid confusion of having two cards with same IP,
although I have thought that even in that case seting IPtables latter  would
set things straight.

I thought that even without extra configuration machine A would see Linux
box on 192.168.0.55 and machine B would see it one place lower-at
192.168.0.54.

But, it obviously doesn't work that way...

Stereo Ethernet problem...

Post by Ian Northeas » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 00:57:32

> > I suggest putting the two cards in different networks. What are you
> > trying to achieve by putting them both in the same one? All traffic for
> > that network will be sent down one or the other, although you should be
> > able to reach both from outside (but responses will come down a single
> > path).

> > What are you actually trying to do here?

> > Regards, Ian

> I was rearanging the furniture  in my workplace and while reconecting
> everything back I managed to smoke the hub. I have two programmers and
> million of small gadgets on my machine and i pluged in Intel's hub (which is
> made in China, demands pure 5V DC and has no overvoltage protection)
> wall-wart from something else, which had 9V instead and... fzzt ! It is
> beyond repair and i don't feel like paying $100 or more for a stupid hub.

> So, since all 3 machines are on local net (192.168.0.x) and one is running
> Linux and acts as a local ftp,http server to other two Winmachines and I
> occasionaly use it to burn CD's, I thought it would be a good idea to plug
> one more Ethernet card in it and make it act as a hub or bridge, if you
> like. I was thinking about using it later as a printer server and big
> storage space (Samba)...

> I bought extra 100Mbit UTP Ethernet card for $12 and revired both cards in
> Linux box, to act as a hub (no big deal, just rewired four pins on the
> connector). Hardware works great, but software end kills me.

You are trying to build a bridge. There is a Howto for this, but I have
never tried it out. Try reading it.

Quote:> I have Win2k machine with ISDN on 192.168.0.1 and other Win2K machine on
> 192.168.0.100

As I said, if you want Linux to be a router, rather than a bridge,
you'll have to use different networks. This will work, but:

Quote:> Before the accident Linux machine was on 192.168.0.55. First Win2k machine
> was masquerading other machines for internet/mail/etc access. (You know,
> that option in Win2k under networking -"Enable Internet access to other
> machines on the local network")

I have no idea how Windows ISC will cope with a routed network. Probably
badly. If you can use the Linux machine as the Internet gateway that
will work fine.

Regards, Ian

Stereo Ethernet problem...

Post by Branko badrljic » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:16:14

Quote:> You are trying to build a bridge. There is a Howto for this, but I have
> never tried it out. Try reading it.

> > Before the accident Linux machine was on 192.168.0.55. First Win2k
machine
> > was masquerading other machines for internet/mail/etc access. (You know,
> > that option in Win2k under networking -"Enable Internet access to other
> > machines on the local network")

> I have no idea how Windows ISC will cope with a routed network. Probably
> badly. If you can use the Linux machine as the Internet gateway that
> will work fine.

> Regards, Ian

I'll try that. Thanks.

Stereo Ethernet problem...

Post by Ra » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 02:37:13

>I ifconfiged thing somewhat like this:

>ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.55 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up
>ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.54 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up

Here is the problem.  You first told the system to send all packets destined
for 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255 out of the eth0 interface and then follow up
by saying "now send them all out of eth1".  Your system is doing exactly
what you told it.  Try making eth1 192.168.1.54 and all of the other
machines attached to it 192.168.1.x and your problem will go away.

--
Ray

Stereo Ethernet problem...

Post by Branko badrljic » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:06:31

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:40:49 -0800, Branko badrljica

> >I ifconfiged thing somewhat like this:

> >ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.55 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
up
> >ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.54 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
up

> Here is the problem.  You first told the system to send all packets
destined
> for 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255 out of the eth0 interface and then follow
up
> by saying "now send them all out of eth1".  Your system is doing exactly
> what you told it.  Try making eth1 192.168.1.54 and all of the other
> machines attached to it 192.168.1.x and your problem will go away.

> --
> Ray

Two questions, that have somehow grown into three;o)

1. Does this mean than I can have only one card per network on machine,
without special tricks ?

2. If I were using simple koax 10 Mbit ethernet and both cards were on the
same koax (a bit silly, but still) it would probably work ?

3. Can I have two cards with the same IP in one machine ?
I mean, IP is viewed as the adress of the intefrace equally by the machine
itself as by its surrounding machines. So, when creating bridge, there might
be a need to have same IP in both physically separated parts of the net...
Probably one would have to set IP tables with route and IPchains after
ifconfig-uring the cards...

Thanks in advance,

Branko

Stereo Ethernet problem...

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:07:03

>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:40:49 -0800, Branko badrljica

>> >I ifconfiged thing somewhat like this:

>> >ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.55 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
> up
>> >ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.54 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
> up

>> Here is the problem.  You first told the system to send all packets
> destined
>> for 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255 out of the eth0 interface and then follow
> up
>> by saying "now send them all out of eth1".  Your system is doing exactly
>> what you told it.  Try making eth1 192.168.1.54 and all of the other
>> machines attached to it 192.168.1.x and your problem will go away.

>> --
>> Ray

> Two questions, that have somehow grown into three;o)

> 1. Does this mean than I can have only one card per network on machine,
> without special tricks ?

It depends upon your definition of network.  Without special tricks, the
routing path depends upon the first matching host or network in the
routing table (broadcast address or network/netmask pair).  Suppose you
have net route entries:

192.168.0.0    0.0.0.0    255.255.255.0    eth0
192.168.0.0    0.0.0.0    255.255.255.0    eth1

Where would traffic for 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254 go (hint, the first
matching route in the list, eth0 in this case)?  However, if you did

route add -host 192.168.0.254 dev eth1

Then 192.168.0.254 would have a specific local route to eth1.

You can split up a subnet by using a different netmask.  For example:

Network 192.168.0.0 Mask 255.255.255.128
IP 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.126  Bcast 192.168.0.127

Network 192.168.0.128 Mask 255.255.255.128
IP 192.168.0.129 - 192.168.0.255  Bcast 192.168.0.255

Quote:> 2. If I were using simple koax 10 Mbit ethernet and both cards were on the
> same koax (a bit silly, but still) it would probably work ?

I suppost 2baseT would work if you have old adapters and wiring for that.
Then you would just need 1 nic on each box.

Quote:> 3. Can I have two cards with the same IP in one machine ?
> I mean, IP is viewed as the adress of the intefrace equally by the machine
> itself as by its surrounding machines. So, when creating bridge, there might
> be a need to have same IP in both physically separated parts of the net...
> Probably one would have to set IP tables with route and IPchains after
> ifconfig-uring the cards...

You could have 2 nics with the same IP (incoming), but outgoing traffic
will only go out 1 of them based on the route table.  And it might cause
no end of problems for ipchains/iptables and other programs that use IP.

--
David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/

1. ATI Stereo F/X Sound - Install problems!

Has anyone had any problems installing Linux with an ATI Sound Card?
For some reason Linux won't recognize my SCSI drive with the sound
card drivers enabled. It just hangs on boot-up. I had to remove the
card to install Linux, but now I can't enable the sound drivers
in the kernel.

Anyone have any ideas???

2. Help!-Printing problem thro 16 port Digiboard

3. stereo sound problem

4. SOFTWARE:'Fast-Start' QuickTime movie tool beta testers wanted

5. Problem with ATI Stereo F/X CD card

6. lpreset

7. Problem playing stereo WAV's with GUS/Linux ...

8. where to specify location of rootfs?

9. linux269 PCTV stereo audio problem

10. X11amp Stereo Separation Problem

11. Problems with Pinnacle PCTV Stereo (saa7134)

12. Ethernet -> Dial-up -> Ethernet Routing problem

13. DOOM on PC spkr and Stereo-on-1