Peer-to-peer network between a Linux and a DOS

Peer-to-peer network between a Linux and a DOS

Post by Nick Ros » Mon, 27 Jun 1994 04:47:39

Hi!!

I'm interested in getting a couple of ethernet cards to hook up one
machine running Linux and another running DOS.  I have some tailor-made
software that's been written for both environments, and they use the same
data files... I'd like to have the Linux machine spawn processes on the
DOS machine, and use the data file output from the DOS process in an X
application.

Is this a worthwhile endeavor?  Can I do this with some kind of
peer-to-peer ethernet connection?  I assume I need to stick with ethernet
since Linux has extensive support for ethernet cards.  The data files I'm
working with are rather large, so they'd take too long to transfer over a
serial or parallel link...I'd like to use ethernet coax if possible.

Input appreciated!  Thanks!

Nick Rossi

"You generally don't find that kind of behavior in a major appliance..."

1. Peer-to-Peer Network of LINUX Workstations, IS IT POSSIBLE?

IS IT possible to create a PEER-TO-PEER network of Linux Boxes.
(We have 30 systems running in WinNT Domain and want to replace WinOS
with Linux on all the systems.)

And how can I create user accounts, so that any user can logon to any
machine in the lab (roaming profile under NT)? IS IT POSSIBLE in LINUX
to administer User A/c's on a SERVER instead of managing User A/C's
locally on each LINUX BOX.

Detailed help highly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

From :

Trainee Software Engineer,
Daffodil Software (P) Ltd.
<http://www.daffodilwoods.com>

2. Why is Linux so slow? (i.e. what am I doing wrong?)

3. how do I setup a peer-to-peer network with Linux??

4. redhat 5.1 cd in New Orleans? can i buy?

5. _Networking Ques.: Is "Peer-to-Peer" Networking Possible Among Multiple Linux Standalone Machines?

6. spaces in a file

7. Linux Peer-to-Peer networking problems

8. how do I install a peer-to-peer network on Linux??

9. Who is the gateway in a 2PC Linux Peer-to-Peer network?

10. Peer-to-peer network: Linux + Win98

11. How can I put a linux machine on a peer-to-peer network

12. web servers and peer-to-peer networks with Linux