tape

Post by david j. ki » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have a tape drive that *seems* to be working.  When i use tar -c the
tape spins.  I was wondering, if it is possible to mount the tape as a
directory and just copy files to the tape.  Also, how do you get a
directory of what is on the tape?
thx

tape

Post by Sam Mortim » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have a tape drive that *seems* to be working.  When i use tar -c the
>tape spins.  I was wondering, if it is possible to mount the tape as a
>directory and just copy files to the tape.  Also, how do you get a
>directory of what is on the tape?
>thx

read the ftape faq. it suggests backup utilities which you can use.

-Sam.

tape

Post by Chris Anders » Mon, 22 Apr 1996 04:00:00

 hb> I have a tape drive that *seems* to be working.  When i use tar -c the
 hb> tape spins.  I was wondering, if it is possible to mount the tape as a
 hb> directory and just copy files to the tape.  Also, how do you get a
 hb> directory of what is on the tape?
 hb> thx

The tape may spin but is it setting itself up ok or generating errors?
Look in the messages log.

Even with preformatted tapes I have sometinmes had to give an
'mt erase' to get the tape going.

Use tar -tv to look at what you've written.

The tape is not a block mode device with tar - so you don't need
to (and cannot) mount it.

Tar works well when you are used to it. For harder homework look
at cpio as well.