xemacs through ssh-tunnel problem

Post by Oliver Wahle » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 19:42:05

Hello everybody,
I have a strange problem with our SuSE 8.0 system:

I open a "konsole" (kde terminal) on localhost
In konsole I ssh (with X11Forwarding) to a remote host
start xemacs on remote host with ampersand (xemacs &)
close the konsole with the "x" button in the upper right

Now the xemacs windows disappears.
But on the remote host xemacs is still running and consumes a lot CPU time.
I would have expected that the "x" button kills the konsole which kills ssh
which closes the X11-tunnel which kills xemacs on the remote site.

The problem can be solved by not using the X11Tunnel (by setting DISPLAY).
But I obviously do not like this solution.
Or by omitting the ampersand (which I do not like either).

What goes wrong?

--

Institute for Integrated Signal Processing Systems
RWTH-Aachen

xemacs through ssh-tunnel problem

Post by Sean O' » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 04:54:08

This is a bit off topic, but have you tried using the program 'screen'? It
could replace your apersand, and perhaps solve your resource issue. In
essence, it allows you to disconnect, and reconnect (multiple)terminal
sessions. It won't help answer your question, but could put you in a
position where you avoid the problem.
HTH,

Sean

Quote:> Hello everybody,

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:14:02

> Hello everybody,
> I have a strange problem with our SuSE 8.0 system:

> I open a "konsole" (kde terminal) on localhost In konsole I ssh (with
> X11Forwarding) to a remote host start xemacs on remote host with
> ampersand (xemacs &) close the konsole with the "x" button in the upper
> right

> Now the xemacs windows disappears.
> But on the remote host xemacs is still running and consumes a lot CPU
> time. I would have expected that the "x" button kills the konsole which
> kills ssh which closes the X11-tunnel which kills xemacs on the remote
> site.

> The problem can be solved by not using the X11Tunnel (by setting
> DISPLAY). But I obviously do not like this solution. Or by omitting the
> ampersand (which I do not like either).

> What goes wrong?

This is a know bug in Xemacs, if you break the connection without exiting
Xemacs first you leave a crazed zombie behind which eats the entire CPU.
I don't know if anyone has fixed this yet, try asking in the Xemacs
newgroup.

xemacs through ssh-tunnel problem

Post by Bill Marcu » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:41:56

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:42:05 +0200, Oliver Wahlen

> Hello everybody,
> I have a strange problem with our SuSE 8.0 system:

> I open a "konsole" (kde terminal) on localhost
> In konsole I ssh (with X11Forwarding) to a remote host
> start xemacs on remote host with ampersand (xemacs &)
> close the konsole with the "x" button in the upper right

> Now the xemacs windows disappears.

Try
nohup xemacs &
or
nohup ssh -X remotehost xemacs &

--
bill marcum the mushroom-eating laboratory monkey
What kind of monkey are you? http://thesurrealist.co.uk/monkey.cgi

1. Trouble using VNC thru a ssh tunnel

I would like to connect from my home machine, "home" to my work
machine, "work" using VNC through a ssh tunnel with port forwarding.
I am running Redhat 7.1, openssh-3.1p1-1, and vnc-3.3.3r2-18.3 on both
machines.

I am able to run VNC without port forwarding by starting a vncserver
on work and issuing the command 'vncviewer work:1' from home.

But when I do this with port forwarding (work:5901 --> home:5902) by
first establishing a ssh connection with 'ssh -L 5902:work:5901 work'
and then issuing the command 'vncviewer localhost:2' from another
pseudotty, I get the following error.

vncviewer: VNC server closed connection

I get no errors in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure.  If I turn on
the -v option to the ssh command, I do get the following error from
the debug output while connecting to work and prior to attempting the
vncviewer command.

debug1: Connections to local port 5902 forwarded to remote address
work:5901
socket: Address family not supported by protocol  I have tried forcing
ssh protocol 1 and ssh protocol 2, but this had no effect.

The vncviewer command causes the following output from the ssh -v
command.

debug1: Connection to port 5902 forwarding to work port 5901
requested.
debug1: fd 8 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug1: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 2: new [direct-tcpip]
debug1: channel 2: open confirm rwindow 131072 rmax 32768
debug1: channel 2: rcvd eof
debug1: channel 2: output open -> drain
debug1: channel 2: obuf empty
debug1: channel 2: close_write
debug1: channel 2: output drain -> closed
debug1: channel 2: read<=0 rfd 8 len 0
debug1: channel 2: read failed
debug1: channel 2: close_read
debug1: channel 2: input open -> drain
debug1: channel 2: ibuf empty
debug1: channel 2: send eof
debug1: channel 2: input drain -> closed
debug1: channel 2: send close
debug1: channel 2: rcvd close
debug1: channel 2: is dead
debug1: channel 2: garbage collecting
debug1: channel_free: channel 2: direct-tcpip: listening port 5902 for
work port 5901, connect from 127.0.0.1 port 2104, nchannels 3

I use iptables on both home and work, so I disabled the iptables rules
on both machines for a short period of time, but this had no effect.

Any assistance in getting this working would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

2. The three queues of the scheduler....

3. ssh tunnel to non-standard ssh port

4. FreeSCO dialup links to NT RAS

5. secure ftp ? ssh-tunnel the controlchannel ?

6. xfs and sawfish

7. Setting up a localhost DNS - resolving domainnames through a ssh-tunnel

8. Display problems

9. ftp over ssh-tunnel fails

10. Odd xemacs/ssh/ppp/X/...? problem

11. reverse SSH tunnel problem

12. I have this strange problem with vmware and port tunneling/forwarding using ssh

13. Tunneling X (ssh problem)