ftp logins won't work

Post by c.. » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

For some reason, my ftp server stopped letting users in.  After I type
in any *correct* login/password pair, it says "login incorrect" and
doesn't let me in.  This happens using both the standard in.ftpd and
in.wuftpd as daemons.  All other types of logins are working just fine.

Dan Chak

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ftp logins won't work

Post by John Bair » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Dan,

Check to make sure that the /etc/inet.conf file is properly configured...
meaning that the ftp service portion is Uncommented and that inetd knows
what service to attach an incoming ftp connection with... secondly make sure
your TCPwrappers are not specifically denying incoming ftp connections
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny...thirdly make sure that the user name
you are logging in with is NOT located in the /etc/ftpusers file as this
file denies ftp access to the login names that are listed...

ummm... that is all that immediately comes to mind...

jb

Quote:> Hello,

> For some reason, my ftp server stopped letting users in.  After I type
> in any *correct* login/password pair, it says "login incorrect" and
> doesn't let me in.  This happens using both the standard in.ftpd and
> in.wuftpd as daemons.  All other types of logins are working just fine.

> Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Dan Chak

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. FTP over SLIP won't allow login.

    I have to machines set up running a SLIP connection between them, and
telnet/finger work fine, but when I try to log in to do ftp, it gives
me 'Login incorrect'  and 'login failed'. This happens with every user,
no matter whats in /conf/ftpusers. I've tried manipulating various config
files trying to figure out how they could be affecting this situation, but
nothing seems to make any difference. Any help?

-Will
--

2. Kernel Rebuild? When to do? HELP...

3. ftp won't allow users who run bash as their login shells?

4. FreeBSD-4.0 and ppp+++

5. 4.6.27 libs: now login won't work!

6. Do you want to know about ISLAM

7. CD won't work, system won't reboot...please help

8. GNU Emacs in "spin" state

9. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

10. Netatalk - login works but won't mount volume

11. login won't work with my uugetty setup ?

12. X-Login won't work 1st time round...

13. Login won't work via modem after crash