PPP Networking Performance Problems

Post by W. Scott Murr » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

My Linux box (RH50) is connected to the internet over a PPP connection. Client
applications run fine for web browsing, news, etc., and my Apache web server
works fine on non-binary files. Loading graphics, however, even small ones
takes forever it seems. When someone accesses a text-only page of say
4000 bytes, it transfers almost instantaneously, but if there's a 4K
graphic, it might take it 20 sec. or longer.

Incoming ftp is also very, very slow. I tried ftp'ing a 3K file from my
Linux box to another system and it took almost a minute. I can download
*to* my box at a rate of about 3K char/sec.

Anyone have any tips on how I can diagnose and solve this problem? It seems
to occur mainly when transmitting binary data from my system to another one.
I've looked at all the relevant log files and found nothing. Any tips would be
greatly appreciated.

PPP Networking Performance Problems

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> My Linux box (RH50) is connected to the internet over a PPP connection. Client
> applications run fine for web browsing, news, etc., and my Apache web server
> works fine on non-binary files. Loading graphics, however, even small ones
> takes forever it seems. When someone accesses a text-only page of say
> 4000 bytes, it transfers almost instantaneously, but if there's a 4K
> graphic, it might take it 20 sec. or longer.

This probably means you are using a modem with on-the-fly compression.
Most graphic formats are already somewhat compressed ans so will not
compress as well as text.

Quote:> Incoming ftp is also very, very slow. I tried ftp'ing a 3K file from my
> Linux box to another system and it took almost a minute. I can download
> *to* my box at a rate of about 3K char/sec.

What *exactly* did you do in each case?

Shot-in-the-dark: Did you drive the connection from the recieving end
in each case?  If so did you a program that starts up an ftp session
and then transfers the file in one operation?  If so is the client
machine not properly registered (both ways) in DNS?  If so then it
could be that you have... wait for it... a reverse DNS config problem!
Could be that the FTP server Linux box is trying to obtain the DNS
name of it's client but failing.

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |

1. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

Hi,

I know this newsgroup gets overwhelmed lately with questions about
PPP under Solaris, so I hope some of you still have energy to answer
this one.

I got the SunSolve Document infodoc/11976. In section 3.6 of this
document ( describing net-to-net ) it is clearly written that the
proposed config does NOT work if both parties share the same network
portion of the IP address.

So my question is, what has to change if both have the same network
portion of the IP address ?

Thanks in advance.

Bye.
David.

2. workman via /dev/mcd cannot change volume or eject??

3. Binding 2 network adapters to achieve better network performance

4. speed of network card

5. Q: ppp tunnelling through IP, performance problem

6. CDRW recommendation needed

7. PPP performance problems..

8. delete Lilo loader from the harddrive

9. ppp-2.2-0f and Linux 1.2.13 performance problem ?

10. PPP performance problems - need help

11. Help! SLIP/PPP performance problem

12. PPP Problem or network problem?