Permissions problems

Post by James Turnbul » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:55:30

I am having a weird problem under Redhat 8.

Some programs and binaries seem to have messed up permissions.

The best example is maildrop.  It is located in /usr/local/bin/ and
previously ran fine.  All of a sudden today I get a permission denied error
when trying to run it.  When I copy the binary to /usr/bin it runs fine. I
can see no difference between the permissions and ownership on both
directories.

This happens with a few other binaries too. I've tried re-installing all the
relevant binaries to no avail.

Does anyone know what could be casuing this?

Thanks in advance

James Turnbull

Permissions problems

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:24:05

> I am having a weird problem under Redhat 8.
> Some programs and binaries seem to have messed up permissions.
> The best example is maildrop.  It is located in /usr/local/bin/ and
> previously ran fine.  All of a sudden today I get a permission denied error
> when trying to run it.  When I copy the binary to /usr/bin it runs fine. I
> can see no difference between the permissions and ownership on both
> directories.

Show the data. You are not describing "permission problems". You said
the perms are the same!

So show the data - your interpretation is manifestly false.

Peter

Permissions problems

Post by Eric Moor » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:50:11

Quote:> I am having a weird problem under Redhat 8.

> Some programs and binaries seem to have messed up permissions.

> The best example is maildrop.  It is located in /usr/local/bin/ and
> previously ran fine.  All of a sudden today I get a permission denied
> error when trying to run it.  When I copy the binary to /usr/bin it runs
> fine. I can see no difference between the permissions and ownership on
> both directories.

I guess you somehow got /usr/local mounted with the noexec option
Don't do that :-)

Eric

Permissions problems

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:11:54

> I am having a weird problem under Redhat 8.
> Some programs and binaries seem to have messed up permissions.
> The best example is maildrop.  It is located in /usr/local/bin/ and
> previously ran fine.  All of a sudden today I get a permission denied error
> when trying to run it.  When I copy the binary to /usr/bin it runs fine. I
> can see no difference between the permissions and ownership on both
> directories.
> This happens with a few other binaries too. I've tried re-installing all the
> relevant binaries to no avail.
> Does anyone know what could be casuing this?

Try 'lsattr /usr/local/bin'
man lsattr
man chattr

/usr/local/bin is on a seperate partition, which has been
mounted with noexec?

Try 'file /usr/local/bin/maildrop'.

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

Permissions problems

Post by James Turnbul » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:07:24

>> I am having a weird problem under Redhat 8.
> Try 'lsattr /usr/local/bin'
> man lsattr
> man chattr

> /usr/local/bin is on a seperate partition, which has been
> mounted with noexec?

> Try 'file /usr/local/bin/maildrop'.

Thanks all for the help - the permissions problems was with a higher level
directory.  Don't know how they got changed.

Regards

James Turnbull

1. Script Problems / mqueue permission problems

I am trying to run a script using a cronjob.  It used to run on another system
but since I moved to a new system (it is a Sun OS), it does not work anymore.
I am just a user on it so I have no way to change any but my own permissions.
Is there any way to fix this or is there any other way to do this?   I have
tried using elm and pine instead of mailx.  I have also tried saving the text
to a temporary file them mailing it separately in another command.  The ld.so
thing seems ok because the file shows up, it just does not get mailed.

-nyx$$ more test.news
/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump http://www.cais.net/whatnews/whatnews.html |
/bin/mailx -s "News Summary" anon52ea

-nyx$$ ls -l test.news
-rwxr-xr-x  1 anon52ea      118 Feb  8 09:44 test.news

-nyx$$ test.news
ld.so: warning: /usr/5lib/libc.so.2.7 has older revision than expected 8
(Resetting uid)
queuename: Cannot create "qf~Z16582" in "/usr/spool/mqueue": No such file
or dir

Kerry Nice - Remove the NOSPAM from the reply address.

2. Help: Linux with Cyrix M2 processor

3. Permissions problem? Securing system resulted in keymap problem?

4. How to change vmlinuz on a standard boot disk?

5. permission problems on new disk

6. EDI

7. Permission Problem

8. Slackware 3.0 & Media Vision Kit

9. 1.3.17 permissions problem

10. Permissions problems on jdk12_pre-v2_test

11. permission problems bombing xinit for not root users

12. Setuid on shell scripts and permissions problem

13. Slackware distribution has permission problems.