Mandrake 7.2 Menus are gigantic

Post by mike » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 04:22:38

Hi,
    I had Mandrake 7.2 running and recently I added a
Jaton TNT2 M64 AGP video card. The first time I
ran Mandrake after the install I installed the new X
SVGA server for the card that is part of Mandrake 7.2.
  I ran X and was testing  / viewing the desktop and
various functions.
  The last thing that I did was to double click on the time icon
in the lower right corner and set the clock. I went back to it
and somehow all the desktop menus got gigantic. I don't
know exactly what happened.
  Is it some instability in the new video card / current video
server or did I just accidentally click on something that selected
gigantic menus?
  How to restore it?

Thanks

Mike

Mandrake 7.2 Menus are gigantic

Post by Chris Gordon-Smit » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 07:08:23

I hit a problem like this a while ago. As I recall, I had managed (more or
less inadvertently) to change the characterset in use by KDE.  I fixed the
problem by using the KDE configuration facilities.  Because menus and
dialogue boxes had become huge, the OK button on some screens was off the
screen, and the only way to get them onto the screen was to use the feature
that lets you drag a window by pressing the ALT key and then placing the
mouse cursor on any part of the window and dragging.

Chris Gordon-Smith
Londion UK

> Hi,
>     I had Mandrake 7.2 running and recently I added a
> Jaton TNT2 M64 AGP video card. The first time I
> ran Mandrake after the install I installed the new X
> SVGA server for the card that is part of Mandrake 7.2.
>   I ran X and was testing  / viewing the desktop and
> various functions.
>   The last thing that I did was to double click on the time icon
> in the lower right corner and set the clock. I went back to it
> and somehow all the desktop menus got gigantic. I don't
> know exactly what happened.
>   Is it some instability in the new video card / current video
> server or did I just accidentally click on something that selected
> gigantic menus?
>   How to restore it?

> Thanks

> Mike

1. Mandrake 7.1 vs Mandrake 7.2 ?

: What are the major differences ?

: Which do you like better ?

IMO 7.1 was considerably more polished and stable, in my experience at
least, but it included what now seem like horribly outdated versions
of everything, even though they were pretty current at the time of its
release.

I expect a new distro today to have kernel 2.4.x, glibc 2.2 or later,
XFree86 4.02 or later, a *working* gcc, KDE 2.1, and a very recent
version of Gnome.  SuSE 7.1 has all these, as will Mandrake 8.0, to
the best of my knowledge.

Joe

2. DNS problem

3. How to connect a LAN to the internet 2

4. I am having troubles installing StarOffice 5.2 from the RedHat 7.2 distribution

5. Windows fonts on Linux?

6. no gnome main menu with gnome and tcsh at suse 7.2

7. Network data compression

8. Mandrake 7.2 upgrade woes

9. Problem with Mandrake 7.2 and Sound [lack thereof]

10. DHCP configuration with cable modem (RCN) and Mandrake 7.2

11. Mandrake 7.2 and Trident 4DWave DX - no sound

12. Mandrake 7.2 huge /proc/bus/usb problem