Function keys under X-Windows: Why do the generate the keys they do?

Function keys under X-Windows: Why do the generate the keys they do?

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I think this is not a Linux question per se, but rather one related to
XFree-86 in particular and probably to IBM PC hardware based X servers in
general.

The question is: Why do the (IBM-PC) function keys generate the sequence of
keys that they do?  I have found the following:

        keys            chars generated
        =====           ===============
        F1-F5           {esc}[1[1-5]~   (That is, escape, bracket, 11-15, tilde)
        F6-F10          {esc}[17-21]~   (That is, escape, bracket, 17-21, tilde)
        F11-F12         {esc}[23-24]~   (That is, escape, bracket, 23-24, tilde)

I have two questions:
        1) Why the funny sequences in general?  I suppose this is more of a
           historical question than anything else.
        2) Why the weird numerical sequences (11-15, 17-21, and 23-24) ?

    "We trained hard -- but it seemed that every time we were
    beginning to form into teams, we would be reorganized.  I
    was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new
    situation by reorganizing.  And what a wonderful method it
    can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing
    confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."
                        --  Gaius Petronius Arbiter --
                            (First Century)

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

Post by T.E.Dicke » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: I think this is not a Linux question per se, but rather one related to
: XFree-86 in particular and probably to IBM PC hardware based X servers in
: general.
nope.  You're talking about xterm: it implements two sets of function-key
escape sequences (Sun keyboard and DEC VT220), depending on a resource.
It's not related to the PC hardware.

--
Thomas E.*ey

1. How to use function keys under X-windows

I am absolutely excited about running X on Linux. It took some
figuring out and kernel recompiles and other tricks, but it works.
EXCEPT that I haven't figured out how to get the function keys in
emacs to work like without X. I mean, I made a nice vt100.el and
keypad.el so that the PgUp key scrolls one screen up, the - and + keys
on the numeric keypad do cut and paste, and so on. This all worked
nicely on the VAX/VMS, and on Linux emacs. But now, running emacs
in X, these keys don't work anymore.

I tried to set the TERM environment variable to vt100 (is default xterm)
in the xterm window right before I launch emacs &, and emacs seems to
see this value (M-! echo $TERM shows indeed vt100), but to no avail.

Is there something I need to know about X to get my function keys back?

Thanks,

2. load-sharing for printers

3. Function of Keys ALT-CTRL key combinations

4. sound config for SB AWE64

5. Processing arrow keys, function keys, etc.

6. NFS mountable sites

7. Escape key timing issue and terminal function keys OSR5

8. Sparc5 looses network (nic freeze?)

9. Mapping keys other than the function keys

10. HELP: How do I generate function and special key signals???

11. Distinquishing escape key from arrow and function keys

12. how to distinguish enter key and key pad enter key?

13. SUMMARY: how to distinguish enter key and key pad enter key?