Age-old floppy problems not solved

Post by Paul Chan » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 04:40:23

I searched for help on this for days, and tried the suggestions people
offered. Nothing  works. So I'm hoping someone will offer some insight.

Basically I just want to copy a file to a floppy disk. I tried several
different formatted floppies and even swapped out the floppy drive. I have
two other Redhat 7.0 systems that work just fine - I can format, mount and
copy using the same diskette. So I know it's not the syntax error. Here are
the error messages I got :

# fdformat /dev/fd0H1440    (I have also tried fdformat /dev/fd0 1440
without the H)
it replies:

Double-sided, 80 tracks, 18 sec/track. Total capacity 1440 kB.
Formatting ...
 8 81 15274992
 0 90 15274992
 1 90 15274992
 2 90 15274992
 12 90 15274992
 1b 90 15274992

last result at 15274992
last redo_fd_request at 15274992
Status=50
fdc_busy=1
DEVICE_INTR=c0193f50
fd_timer
Count=c023d750
CURRENT=00000000
Command status=-1
floppy0: floppy timeout called
ioctl(FDFMTRK): Input/output error

When I tried mkfs (using ext2, vfat, or msdos)
# /sbin/mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0
it replies:

 8 81 15274992
 0 90 15274992
 1 90 15274992
 2 90 15274992
 12 90 15274992
 1b 90 15274992

last result at 15274992
last redo_fd_request at 15274992
Status=50
fdc_busy=1
DEVICE_INTR=c0193f50
fd_timer
Count=c023d750
CURRENT=00000000
Command status=-1
floppy0:floppy timeout called
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
/dev/fd0: invalid argument passed to ext2 library setting up superblock

When I tried mount (using ext2, vfat, or msdos)
# mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
it replies: EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: wrong fs type, bad options, bad superblock on /dev/fd0, or too many
mounted file systems.

I have also tried e2fsck -t ext2 /dev/fd0 with no success.

There is nothing in my mtab for floppy or /dev/fd0. In my /etc/fstab I see
this:
/dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy  auto  noauto,owner    0 0

Could the problem be with the floppy controller? The floppy is recognized on
boot up.

Age-old floppy problems not solved

Post by kd6oz » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:18:08

On Monday 10 June 2002 12:40 pm, Paul Chang took the time to write:

Quote:> Basically I just want to copy a file to a floppy disk. I tried several
> different formatted floppies and even swapped out the floppy drive. I have
> two other Redhat 7.0 systems that work just fine - I can format, mount and
> copy using the same diskette. So I know it's not the syntax error. Here
> are the error messages I got :

> # fdformat /dev/fd0H1440    (I have also tried fdformat /dev/fd0 1440
> without the H)
> it replies:

> last result at 15274992
> last redo_fd_request at 15274992
> Status=50
> fdc_busy=1
> DEVICE_INTR=c0193f50
> fd_timer
> Count=c023d750
> CURRENT=00000000
> Command status=-1
> floppy0: floppy timeout called
> ioctl(FDFMTRK): Input/output error

Since you've successfully formatted the floppy in another machine, the media
is not at fault.  Even misaligned heads would still format the disk.

Some things to check:
        - Make sure the data cable connectors are firmly seated in the dri
ve and motherboard plugs.
        - Make sure the heads are clean.  Use a wet cleaning system.
        - Try replacing the drive.  Since you have two working drives, it mi
ght be worth the few minutes needed to swap one out.

As always, if you are not comfortable inside your computer, take it to your
local repair center or a knowledgeable friend.

Age-old floppy problems not solved

Post by Bernard DEBREI » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:20:29

Hi there !

> I searched for help on this for days, and tried the suggestions people
> offered. Nothing  works. So I'm hoping someone will offer some insight.

> When I tried mount (using ext2, vfat, or msdos) # mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0
> /mnt/floppy
> it replies: EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock mount: wrong fs type, bad
> options, bad superblock on /dev/fd0, or too many mounted file systems.

By any chance, have you made sure that your floppy drive was on fd0 ? In
most cases, floppies are on fd0. However, on one of my PCs (a Compaq),
floppy drive is on hdc !   I had the same errors as those you reports,
until I started to read what shows upon boot: it was clearly stated that
my floppy was on hdc on that system !

The mounting command would then be:

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc /mnt/floppy

Quote:> I have also tried e2fsck -t ext2 /dev/fd0 with no success.

--

Bernard DEBREIL

1. X Windows and my old old old old video card

Hi. The card in question is an ISA ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (with the mach32
engine). The particular monitor that I'm using is an AST Vision 4L, and I
managed to root through the AST website (talk about counterintuitive!) so
I could get the horiz and vert scan lines etc. I can't seem to get X setup
right, when I run probe, it complains about a missing clocks line. Is
there any doc which can EXPLAIN xf86config? A man page helps, but getting
the theory fundas would be even nicer.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of support the linux community
provides. Also, being something of a DOS/Windows junkie ;=( in the past,
i'd appreciate it if I could be told where to get my hands on info that'll
help me migrate better.

regards
Aniruddha Shankar
BAngalore, India

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. how to find out the status of tcp_nodelay

3. Problem with floppy boot and SIIG enhanced disk BIOS SOLVED!

4. Adaptec ANA6944A/TX IRQ problem

5. The age old question....

6. Program that makes telnet socket emulate COM port

7. Age old cs89x0 register define 'fixes' ?

8. Strange networking problem

9. Age old question: ATI Mach 64 on 3.1.1

10. problem still not solved token ring problem (3c619rev.b)

11. Passwd Aging - What determines "age"??

12. ufstype=old = how old? SunOS fstype=4.2 old?

13. floppy problems, not a mounting problem