POP3 problem

Post by Andy Hil » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

2nd Posting of this message, as I either never got a response before, or
managed to loose it!

Hi All

I've had this problem before but forgot how I cured it.

We have several workstations (windows) accessing a linux box via POP3 to
read mail using several different mail accounts.

One account keeps giving a mailbox already being read error, this has
suddenly started happening for no apparent reason.

Any Ideas?

TIA

Andy Hill

Post by Peter Caffi » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> 2nd Posting of this message, as I either never got a response before, or
> managed to loose it!

Most likely because you didn't mention which POP3 daemon you're actually
using...

Personally, I've only seen the symptoms you described on SCO systems,
where it seems to be an infrequent, transient but often commented on
problem.
--
 _           _    _ _

| (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |  http://it.net.au/~pc |
        PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

POP3 problem

Post by Andy Hil » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hmm! I guess that would have helped!

Anyway someone did respond with the solution, it was an uncleared lock file,
which I suspected it would be because I have come across the problem before.
I just couldn't find the file in question, I now have the path tatooed on my
forehead ;-)

Andy

POP3 problem

Post by Peter Caffi » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Anyway someone did respond with the solution, it was an uncleared lock file,
> which I suspected it would be because I have come across the problem before.
> I just couldn't find the file in question, I now have the path tatooed on my
> forehead ;-)

Hi Andy,

Now that you have the answer to your problem, you really should explain
what software you're using, what was causing the problem and how you fixed
it. This way others can search for and find your explanation using Dejanews.

If you're feeling really adventurous, you could even stick the text onto
a webpage and help even more people :).

--
 _           _    _ _

| (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |  http://it.net.au/~pc |
        PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

POP3 problem

Post by Andy Hil » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Sorry guys,

I was not really behaving in the spirit of the group by not shareing my
information.

The details and solution will be posted at
http://www.hillweb.demon.co.uk/pop3/
It won't be a pretty page but it will contain the necessary information.

Andy Hill

> > Anyway someone did respond with the solution, it was an uncleared lock
file,
> > which I suspected it would be because I have come across the problem
before.
> > I just couldn't find the file in question, I now have the path tatooed
on my
> > forehead ;-)

> Hi Andy,

> Now that you have the answer to your problem, you really should explain
> what software you're using, what was causing the problem and how you fixed
> it. This way others can search for and find your explanation using
Dejanews.

> If you're feeling really adventurous, you could even stick the text onto
> a webpage and help even more people :).

> --
>  _           _    _ _

> | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |  http://it.net.au/~pc |
>         PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

POP3 problem

Post by Andy Hil » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

The page (very simple) is now posted at
http://www.hillweb.demon.co.uk/pop3.html

Andy

> Sorry guys,

> I was not really behaving in the spirit of the group by not shareing my
> information.

> The details and solution will be posted at
> http://www.hillweb.demon.co.uk/pop3/
> It won't be a pretty page but it will contain the necessary information.

> Andy Hill

> > > Anyway someone did respond with the solution, it was an uncleared lock
> file,
> > > which I suspected it would be because I have come across the problem
> before.
> > > I just couldn't find the file in question, I now have the path tatooed
> on my
> > > forehead ;-)

> > Hi Andy,

> > Now that you have the answer to your problem, you really should explain
> > what software you're using, what was causing the problem and how you
fixed
> > it. This way others can search for and find your explanation using
> Dejanews.

> > If you're feeling really adventurous, you could even stick the text onto
> > a webpage and help even more people :).

> > --
> >  _           _    _ _

> > | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |  http://it.net.au/~pc |
> >         PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

1. RH 5.0 POP3 problem

Hello,
I have a problem with RH 5.0 POP3 server: I can't connect a POP3 client and
if I look at the /var/log/secure file I read this error message:
error: cannot execute /usr/sbin/ipop3d: no such file or directory
Why there isn't this file ?? this is a fresh installation from the original
RH 5.0 CDROM, and I include sendmail suite.
I'm in trouble and any help would be appreciate.
thanks in advance

2. dual booting OpenBSD and FreeBSD

3. pop3 problem with connection

4. Changing default color ls . . . how?

5. Help! POP3 Problem.

6. Fearless predictions (was Re: Linus out-of-the-box (was Re: NT's registry hell))

7. POP3 Problem

8. Proxy? Or Firewall?

9. pop3 problem -ERR being read already

10. POP3 problems

11. pop3 problem

12. FreeBSD 4.0 server outside firewall POP3 problem

13. Red Hat 5.0 POP3 problem