Win 95 reboot to Dos killed Linux partitions.

Win 95 reboot to Dos killed Linux partitions.

Post by William R. Hutt » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

After a daring upgrade to Win 95 and successful coexistence
with Linux (both Win95 and Linux partitions on both my
Seagate 450MB and Conner 1.2GB drives on a Dell XPS);
I boldly selected the "Reboot in DOS mode" from the Win95
shutdown menu.  Voila-- my Linux partitions have magically
disappeared into the Windows ones (at least on the first
IDE drive; one of two remains mountable on the 2nd (Conner)).

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper.  Has anyone
seen this behavior; know why it happens; and, pertinently,
know how to fix it?  I've tried the restorrb from my original
Linux install diskette, but no dice.

Thanks,
Bill Huttel

*                                                                   *
*     William R. Huttel    "Hopeless? -- Why, very well! -- But    *

*                           -- Cyrano de Bergerac, Act V.          *
*                                                                   *

Win 95 reboot to Dos killed Linux partitions.

Post by Richard S Thom » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

It's possible that win95 overwrote your partition table. If you can
restore it to how it was originally, you may find it's caused no
damage to the data itself.

Can you remember how it went?

Rich

Win 95 reboot to Dos killed Linux partitions.

Post by Shankar Un » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I boldly selected the "Reboot in DOS mode" from the Win95
> shutdown menu.  Voila-- my Linux partitions have magically
> disappeared into the Windows ones (at least on the first
> IDE drive; one of two remains mountable on the 2nd (Conner)).

I guess you used FIPS - something may have gone wrong during your
repartitioning.

I've seen this a few times; one time it was bad enough that I just took the
safe route and nuked Windows (NT, it was) and re-installed it in the
smaller partition.  With Win95, I've seen this only once, and re-running
FIPS made the problem go away.

I guess the m*is, after you use FIPS to repartition a drive, boot into
both Windows, and DOS, before you try to install Linux, and make sure that
the partition info is correct.

--

Chromatic Research                            (408) 752-9488

Win 95 reboot to Dos killed Linux partitions.

Post by Dave Thaye » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

[copy emailed to original poster]

Quote:>After a daring upgrade to Win 95 and successful coexistence
>with Linux (both Win95 and Linux partitions on both my
>Seagate 450MB and Conner 1.2GB drives on a Dell XPS);
>I boldly selected the "Reboot in DOS mode" from the Win95
>shutdown menu.  Voila-- my Linux partitions have magically
>disappeared into the Windows ones (at least on the first
>IDE drive; one of two remains mountable on the 2nd (Conner)).

Microsoft has an W95 update on their web site which sounds like just
the ticket:

Quote:>Disk Type Specific Driver Update for Windows 95
>This update addresses a potential data-loss issue for customers who
>use large EIDE drives with multiple partitions on systems which
>support LBA and extended INT13 functions.

Check out http://www.microsoft.com/windows/software/updates.htm

Your Pal Dave.

--
Dave Thayer