TDFX framebuffer driver with 2.4.2

Post by Fabrice Coli » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:54:57

Hi all,

I have recently got hold of 2.4.2 and built in the 3dfx frame buffer
driver (tdfx).
At startup, the kernel detects my V3 3000 AGP fine and switches to the
framebuffer driver (or so it says). The Tux logo appears in the upper
left corner and then everything works OK. So why do I post this message
if everything works OK, you ask ?

Well, first, when switching to fbdev, the console becomes white, the
logo
appears and as the kernel keeps printing messages, only the top of the
screen next to the logo remains white. This is ugly and I am wondering
if there is any way to prevent the console to go white in the first
place.
Also, is the position of the logo configurable ?

Second, I have experimented a bit with the "vga" parameter to change the
resolution. Again, this works OK until the kernel switches to fbdev and
resets to, hmmm, 640x480-something. Is this the normal behaviour ?

The fbset utility enables to change the console resolution to, say,
1024x768-8bpp, but that happens after startup. The (obsolete) man page
recommends to put "fbset" into my rc.local script (I am using RH6.2) but
this still means that the fbdev driver is intialised in 640x480. Is it
possible to get tdfx to start with whatever resolution I want ?

I had a look at linux-fbdev.org this morning but couldn't find any
information on that.
Any help/pointer appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
 Fabrice

--
"Anything that begins well will end badly."
        -- Pudder's Law

TDFX framebuffer driver with 2.4.2

Post by Fabrice Coli » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:13:16

Quote:> Second, I have experimented a bit with the "vga" parameter to change the
> resolution. Again, this works OK until the kernel switches to fbdev and
> resets to, hmmm, 640x480-something. Is this the normal behaviour ?

Oops... It appears I hadn't read the fb documentation that comes with
the
kernel source. I have added a "video=" parameter to the kernel and it
now
starts up with the resolution I wanted.
I am still looking for information on the other items though.

1. framebuffer problem in tdfx?

Hello,

I have a question. I use framebuffer on my 3dfx voodoo3 3000 graphic card
I use framebuffer. When I only boot kernel (not using append) console switch
from 80x25 to 80x30 and booting penguin si pretty nice, colored and its
background is black.
When I instruct kernel with append using this in my lilo.conf

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda3

console switch to 128x48 writing

fb: Voodoo3 memory = 16384K
fb: MTRR's turned on
tdfxfb: reserving 1024 bytes for the hwcursor at d1818000
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
fb0: 3Dfx Voodoo3 frame buffer device

but penguin is black-white and background is white. After booting I can use
console without problem and it is color. But I like my penguin. Where is
problem? Is it on my side or problem of driver? This happens when I try to
use 60 Hz too.

Thanks a lot

Michal
-

2. "pure virtual function called" error after install of KDE3

3. Disappearing Panels in RedHat 7.2

4. agp mode 2 and tdfx driver for Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

5. Compiling on 3.2.5 and run on 4.3.0

6. Trouble with tdfx driver in RH7.1

7. How to obtain IP Address associated with a physical interface

8. xfree86 4.1 tdfx driver ignores power_saver

9. framebuffer driver for cyber2000

10. Removing framebuffer driver module?

11. Bug report 34 - Matrox framebuffer drivers don't compile

12. Plain framebuffer driver