Upgrading kernel in Red Hat

Post by Howard Man » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am currently using an "unmodified" Red Hat 5.0 with kernel 2.0.32.
I wish to upgrade to kernel 2.0.36.I would appreciate your comments
concerning the relative merits/demerits of the following two approaches:

1. Download and install the RPM's of the  kernel and modules from the 5.0
 updates directory.Edit /etc/lilo.conf appropriately. Make new bootdisk with
new kernel. Remove old kernel/modules RPM's after verifying that new kernel
 works.

2. Obtain Red Hat 5.2 CD and choose " upgrade" option.

At this time, I do not need to recompile my kernel.

Cheers,

--
Howard Mann
http://www.xmission.com/~howardm

Upgrading kernel in Red Hat

Post by Bob Tenne » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

 >I am currently using an "unmodified" Red Hat 5.0 with kernel 2.0.32.
 >I wish to upgrade to kernel 2.0.36.I would appreciate your comments
 >concerning the relative merits/demerits of the following two approaches:
 >
 >1. Download and install the RPM's of the  kernel and modules from the 5.0
 > updates directory.Edit /etc/lilo.conf appropriately. Make new bootdisk with
 >new kernel. Remove old kernel/modules RPM's after verifying that new kernel
 > works.
 >
 >2. Obtain Red Hat 5.2 CD and choose " upgrade" option.

The first approach will be quicker and easier.  But the second will
also upgrade almost all of the other packages, including several
that have security risks.  The upgrade should work okay, but there
may be some re-configuration necessary.  If you're on-line, you
should do it; if not, suit yourself.

Bob T.

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. - Major automotive website -

3. Upgrading to Linux Kernel 2.0 (Red Hat distribution)

4. How to modify the allow/deny access right ?

5. Red Hat (rpm) kernel upgrades?

6. A debate Issue...

7. Red Hat upgrade to 2.2.19 kernel -- help!

8. Netscape Linux Beta

9. Upgrading Kernel on Red Hat 4.2...

10. Upgrading kernel on Red Hat 4.2

11. Difficulty upgrading Red Hat 3.0.3 to kernel 2.0

12. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

13. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0