Red Hat Linux: cancelling actions upon bootup

Red Hat Linux: cancelling actions upon bootup

Post by Neil Zanell » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:10:29

Hello,

I am running Red Hat 7.2. I would like to know whether it is possible to
cancel on one of the initialization messages at bootup that appear after
the /dev/hdXX disks have been mounted. For instance if when starting up
some process such as sendmail the system hangs for a long time before
reporting [OK] or [Failed] then is it possible to hit some special
key sequence analogous to the CTRL-C used to kill processes so
that the bootstrap process may skip the current step and go on
to the next step?

Thanks,

Neil

Post by Dave Uhrin » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:27:35

> Hello,

> I am running Red Hat 7.2. I would like to know whether it is possible
> to cancel on one of the initialization messages at bootup that appear
> after the /dev/hdXX disks have been mounted. For instance if when
> starting up some process such as sendmail the system hangs for a long
> time before reporting [OK] or [Failed] then is it possible to hit some
> special key sequence analogous to the CTRL-C used to kill processes so
> that the bootstrap process may skip the current step and go on
> to the next step?

> Thanks,

> Neil

Since you posted using Pine, presumably you were able to boot your
Linux system.  If a process hangs during initialization the best
solution is to fix the problem which is causing the problem.

Sendmail, in particular, tends to hang if it cannot identify your
host's fully qualified domain name (FQDN).  The solution to that is to
place the FQDN into /etc/hosts file along with your hosts IP address.
In otherwords you need an entry in /etc/hosts like this:

192.168.1.5    machine.your.domain

or whatever IP address and name you have.

Post by NG_lurke » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:19:33

>> Hello,

>> I am running Red Hat 7.2. I would like to know whether it is possible
>> to cancel on one of the initialization messages at bootup that appear
>> after the /dev/hdXX disks have been mounted. For instance if when
>> starting up some process such as sendmail the system hangs for a long
>> time before reporting [OK] or [Failed] then is it possible to hit some
>> special key sequence analogous to the CTRL-C used to kill processes so
>> that the bootstrap process may skip the current step and go on
>> to the next step?

>> Thanks,

>> Neil

>Since you posted using Pine, presumably you were able to boot your
>Linux system.  If a process hangs during initialization the best
>solution is to fix the problem which is causing the problem.

>Sendmail, in particular, tends to hang if it cannot identify your
>host's fully qualified domain name (FQDN).  The solution to that is to
>place the FQDN into /etc/hosts file along with your hosts IP address.
>In otherwords you need an entry in /etc/hosts like this:

>192.168.1.5    machine.your.domain

>or whatever IP address and name you have.

Hi Dave,

I have this very same problem in my office Win2K/RH 7 PC. I cant
remember what i did last time but i think i messed up my fully
qualified domain name that is why sendmail pauses about 10 minutes or
so before completion the bootprocess. IP address i can get from
pinging myself but how do i set the correct FQDN? Is there a howto to
this? Please advise how to do this. I am in a LAN of doze PC's but I
seldom use my RedHat 7. TIA.

--
My email address: eriz00 AT yahoo DOT com

Post by Neil Zanel » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:55:46

> > Hello,

> > I am running Red Hat 7.2. I would like to know whether it is possible
> > to cancel on one of the initialization messages at bootup that appear
> > after the /dev/hdXX disks have been mounted. For instance if when
> > starting up some process such as sendmail the system hangs for a long
> > time before reporting [OK] or [Failed] then is it possible to hit some
> > special key sequence analogous to the CTRL-C used to kill processes so
> > that the bootstrap process may skip the current step and go on
> > to the next step?

> > Thanks,

> > Neil

> Since you posted using Pine, presumably you were able to boot your
> Linux system.  If a process hangs during initialization the best
> solution is to fix the problem which is causing the problem.

> Sendmail, in particular, tends to hang if it cannot identify your
> host's fully qualified domain name (FQDN).  The solution to that is to
> place the FQDN into /etc/hosts file along with your hosts IP address.
> In otherwords you need an entry in /etc/hosts like this:

> 192.168.1.5    machine.your.domain

> or whatever IP address and name you have.

This is easier said then done. As a matter of fact I have a computer at
work and one at home both running Linux, and both connect to the network
or ISP with the DHCP protocol. After connecting the machines have a valid
IP but do not have an FQDN, and there is not much I can do about it.

nslookup correctly reports: ** server can't find x1.x2.x3.x4.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

Thus, it would be handy to be able to interrupt the individual server
initializations performed at bootup. It looks like Red Hat should be
providing such a facility with their system. How hard would it be to
implement such functionality? Would init have to be patched?

Thanks,

Neil

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:09:54

> This is easier said then done. As a matter of fact I have a computer
> at work and one at home both running Linux, and both connect to the
> network or ISP with the DHCP protocol. After connecting the machines
> have a valid IP but do not have an FQDN, and there is not much I can
> do about it.

> nslookup correctly reports: ** server can't find
> x1.x2.x3.x4.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

> Thus, it would be handy to be able to interrupt the individual server
> initializations performed at bootup. It looks like Red Hat should be
> providing such a facility with their system. How hard would it be to
> implement such functionality? Would init have to be patched?

If you don't use sendmail, then just don't start the sendmail server.
If you boot to init level 5 then go into /etc/rc.d/rc5.d and remove the
link to S??sendmail.

If you do use sendmail I recommend that you either get your ISP to
properly set up DNS or change ISPs.  There is no excuse for an ISP to
fail to provide a DNS lookup for your system.  Even the M$ using dorks
at my ISP actually do provide that.

Post by Chris Conle » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:54:03

>>> Hello,

>>> I am running Red Hat 7.2. I would like to know whether it is possible
>>> to cancel on one of the initialization messages at bootup that appear
>>> after the /dev/hdXX disks have been mounted. For instance if when
>>> starting up some process such as sendmail the system hangs for a long
>>> time before reporting [OK] or [Failed] then is it possible to hit some
>>> special key sequence analogous to the CTRL-C used to kill processes so
>>> that the bootstrap process may skip the current step and go on
>>> to the next step?

>>> Thanks,

>>> Neil

>>Since you posted using Pine, presumably you were able to boot your
>>Linux system.  If a process hangs during initialization the best
>>solution is to fix the problem which is causing the problem.

Ever think of editing the /etc/rc.d/ scripts?

Red Hat Linux: cancelling actions upon bootup

Post by NG_lurke » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:38:51

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:54:03 -0500, Chris Conley

>>>Since you posted using Pine, presumably you were able to boot your
>>>Linux system.  If a process hangs during initialization the best
>>>solution is to fix the problem which is causing the problem.

>Ever think of editing the /etc/rc.d/ scripts?

Did not edited the scripts file in the mentioned location but DID
edited /etc/hosts file to match my ip address and hostname. Restarted
RedHat and VOILA, no more pausing by sendmail. Thanks!

--
My email address: eriz00 AT yahoo DOT com

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. vga library

3. How to add Red Hat Linux 7 to Powerquest BootMagic's bootup menu

4. Useradmin scripts for Solaris 2.4

5. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

6. Apocalypse!!

7. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

8. Nasty SOCKS problem on Linux

9. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

10. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

11. Class action against Red Hat

12. New class action against Red Hat

13. Which version of Red Hat is LinuxPPC 4.1 based upon