1. GUS + BusLogic BT-445S + STB Pegasus + DX2/66 + 256 kB cache = trouble
I previously wrote
The situation is even weirder. I can solve the problem by any *one*
of the following:
- disable external cache
- use 128 kB cache instead of 256 kB
- replace the DX2/66 with a DX/33
- remove the GUS (gravis ultrasound)
- replace the VL-bus BT-445S with an ISA-bus AHA-1542B
- replace the VL-bus STB Pegasus with an ISA-bus S3-801 vga card
Things that would not help:
- replacing cache SRAM
- replacing DRAM SIMMS
- replacing 20 ns TAG SRAM with a 15 ns chip
- changing any AMI BIOS setup option other than disabling ext. cache
- adding VL-bus waitstates
- slot positions (though 1 VL slot does not support busmastering)
I am now waiting for a newer revision of my Buslogic card, but
I'm beginning to think the problem is in the motherboard;
things are just getting too fast, I guess.
There is also another problem that happens *only* when
using 128 kB cache: the infamous signal 11 internal gcc error
when building a Linux kernel.
Before this all happened, I had another cache problem:
Linux would crash randomly, mainly in the swapper task,
unless I had disabled the external cache.
This was solved by building a kernel with -m386 instead of -m486.
This worked, but I could never find out the theory behind this.
This is already my second motherboard; the first one would
appear totally dead with the STB Pegasus on it.
For the record, here's my hardware setup:
motherboard: DX2/66, SiS 461 VL chipset, 3 VL slots, AMI BIOS
16 MB 70 ns DRAM
256 kB 20 ns SRAM, 32 kB 15 ns TAG RAM
BusLogic BT-445S VL SCSI host adapter rev D, BIOS 4.72, f/w 3.36
STB Pegasus VL S3-928 vga card (S3-928 is D-stepping)
Gravis Ultrasound (don't have the revision number)
no-name ISA-bus 2x16550 1xparallel I/O card
S-mail : Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70, 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands
Phone : +31 70 3542302
Fax : +31 70 3512837
2. Russian/Cyrillic fonts and keyboard setup (Chto delat'?!)
3. Buslogic 445S driver
4. web based GUI
5. Buslogic 445S & Solaris 2/x86?
6. Deskjet 855C and APS
7. BusLogic BT-445S timeout errors
8. Unix Book
9. BusLogic 445S locks up!
10. BusLogic 445S vs MC2217
11. What driver to use for BusLogic 445S or 747S?
12. Boot Image for BusLogic 445S
13. Buslogic 445s VLB vs. Adaptec 1542C ISA