Is Debian RPM compatible ?

Post by Arctic Stor » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:03:43

I read somewhere that certain Linux distributions are RPM compatible while
others aren't.
The Debian Linux web site does not mention anything about RPM compatibility.
Is Debian Linux distribution RPM compatible?
Has anyone installed RPM's in a Debian distribution?
Does RPM stand for "RehHat Package Manager" or "RPM Package Manager?
-

Is Debian RPM compatible ?

Post by Andrew Puruggan » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:16:19

[ I read somewhere that certain Linux distributions are RPM compatible while
[ others aren't.
[ The Debian Linux web site does not mention anything about RPM compatibility.
[ Is Debian Linux distribution RPM compatible?
[ Has anyone installed RPM's in a Debian distribution?
[ Does RPM stand for "RehHat Package Manager" or "RPM Package Manager?

debian uses 'deb' packages
Yes that's what rpm stands for
and there are tools so you can install RPMs in debian-based distros, and
vice-versa, but some would argue why mess with a good thing?
I have COREL on one machine which uses debian, but using alien, I ws able
to install an RPM on it. Some RPMs though have dependencies, and the
installer that came with COREL asks me first if I want to proceed when
there are some things lacking. So it becomes, do so at your own risk. But
hey, the PC at home isn't used for launching nuclear missiles ;-)

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

Is Debian RPM compatible ?

Post by Hugh Laws » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:11:19

>I read somewhere that certain Linux distributions are RPM compatible while
>others aren't.
>The Debian Linux web site does not mention anything about RPM compatibility.
>Is Debian Linux distribution RPM compatible?
>Has anyone installed RPM's in a Debian distribution?
>Does RPM stand for "RehHat Package Manager" or "RPM Package Manager?

Debian comes with its own package handler, which is different from RPM
(RedHat Package Manager).  You can get rpm and put it on a Debian system,
but  this to some degree defeats the purpose of a package manager, which
is to keep track of *all* packages installed, if possible.  So I'd say
choose one or the other, for the two different manages keep track of the
packages each installs.  The packages are different in format, and neither
handler will install the other's packages, as they are.

If you haven't learned either Debian or RedHat, I think there is no
difference in the effort required to learn the different package managers.
I started out with RedHat and now use Debian.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

Is Debian RPM compatible ?

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:56:51

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I read somewhere that certain Linux distributions are RPM compatible while
> others aren't.
> The Debian Linux web site does not mention anything about RPM compatibility.
> Is Debian Linux distribution RPM compatible?
> Has anyone installed RPM's in a Debian distribution?

As others have pointed out, Debian uses its own package format (which is
also used by Corel Linux, Storm Linux, Libranet Linux, and perhaps one
or two others). Most programs are available in both formats. One option
that other posts have not yet mentioned is to use the alien program to
convert from RPM to Debian format. This program converts one format to
the other, allowing you to install in a Debian system without
maintaining two package management systems.

Quote:> Does RPM stand for "RehHat Package Manager" or "RPM Package Manager?

The former (aside from the typo). At this point, though, Red Hat is far
from the only distribution using RPMs -- Caldera, Mandrake, SuSE,
TurboLinux, LinuxPPC, Yellow Dog, and probably several others all use
RPMs.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Is Debian RPM compatible ?

Post by John Hasle » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:47:02

Quote:Arctic Storm writes:
> The Debian Linux web site does not mention anything about RPM
> compatibility.  Is Debian Linux distribution RPM compatible?

Debian (and its derivatives, Storm, Progeny, Corel, etc) use the (IMHO
superior) Debian package management system.  Debian packages carry the
suffix '.deb'.

Quote:> Has anyone installed RPM's in a Debian distribution?

'alien' converts rpm's to .deb's (and vice-versa).  However, before using
it you should check the Debian archive to see if the software you are
considering converting is already packaged for Debian.  Most free software
is.  Considering the poor quality of many rpm's and the often imperfect job
of conversion alien does, you are much better off with a native package.

Quote:> Does RPM stand for "RehHat Package Manager" or "RPM Package Manager?

RedHat Package Manager.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

Is Debian RPM compatible ?

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:31:40

> I read somewhere that certain Linux distributions are RPM compatible while
> others aren't.

None are and none aren't. Rpm is a format. Every distro can read it with
the appropriate tools, just like they can read tar files.

That says nothing about whether they're compatible with the CONTENT of
the rpm.

Quote:> Does RPM stand for "RehHat Package Manager" or "RPM Package Manager?

Guess.

Peter

Is Debian RPM compatible ?

Post by John Hasle » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:35:28

Quote:James Vahn writes:
> RPM is based on Debian's dpkg,...

No it isn't.

Quote:> ...but RedHat saw to it that the two would be incompatible.

They were developed independently and nearly simultaneously.  No
*: sorry.

Quote:> Try "alien" to convert between them.

Yes, but look for a native package first.  There is little of interest that
is not available in both.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

Is Debian RPM compatible ?

Post by John Hasle » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:52:12

Quote:James Vahn writes:
> There are too many parallels between them to be coincidence or chance
> though.

Why?  There is nothing remarkable about different programmers arriving at
similar solutions to the same problem.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

Is Debian RPM compatible ?

Post by Gerbrand van Dieij » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 01:08:48

>> Does RPM stand for "RehHat Package Manager" or "RPM Package Manager?

>The former (aside from the typo). At this point, though, Red Hat is far
>from the only distribution using RPMs -- Caldera, Mandrake, SuSE,
>TurboLinux, LinuxPPC, Yellow Dog, and probably several others all use
>RPMs.

Unfortunately many RPM for Redhat won't install on Suse and vice versa
because of diffent naming and directory location. Basically SuSe might as
well had used it's own package format because it's hardly compatible.

1. A debian APT question, I am new at this

using my Official CDROM as the source I tried to add packages using
APT-get.  I issued the command but after initial set of instruction
and the rest of usuall text, the process comes back and tells me that
""Dbconf" is in web mode GOTO HTTP://localhost:8001".  Anyone know
what this mean and where do I go from here to solve this one.

Thank for help

Markux.

2. reading from stdin, buffer it and writing to stdout

3. how compatible are redhat/debian/slackware?

4. Can't Compile linux-2.4.20

5. iMac DV Lime network adapter problem

6. I am not impressed with Debian so far.

7. Detecting PowerUP programmatically?

8. Can't find iostream.h... what rpm pagckages am I suppose to install?

9. Am I crazy or does RPM blow

10. what am I doing wrong with RPM?

11. PKG PacKaGer - packaging system compatible with RPM