SMP (?) and Linux

Post by Martin Sohni » Wed, 16 Nov 1994 07:17:10

: Somebody may be parking a "Redcord" or some such machine in my
: room. The beastie is rumored to have multiple processors on board.
: My question: can Linux cope with multiple processors? The
: acronym SMP kept popping up, but I seem to have missed the
: meaning of the characters...

Gee, Paai, somebody is "parking" a multi-processor Tricord in your
room?  Don't tell me there is a chance you may have to give up your
beloved Linux :-).  Should I send the Novell-NL salesman around?

UnixWare 2.0 (originally known as SVR4.2MP) does (or rather, will, once
it's announced) support Symmetric Multi-Processing (SMP).  I believe
support for the first four processors is part of the out-of-the-box
configuration.  After that it's add-on time.

--
                        +----------------------------------+
Martin Sohnius          | "If you can't be funny,          |

SMP (?) and Linux

Post by J.J. Paijma » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 04:26:47

>: Somebody may be parking a "Redcord" or some such machine in my
>: room. The beastie is rumored to have multiple processors on board.
>: My question: can Linux cope with multiple processors? The
>: acronym SMP kept popping up, but I seem to have missed the
>: meaning of the characters...

>Gee, Paai, somebody is "parking" a multi-processor Tricord in your
>room?  Don't tell me there is a chance you may have to give up your
>beloved Linux :-).  Should I send the Novell-NL salesman around?

Ah, Tricord. That sounds like it. Yes... For this particular machine
and this particular job, you might.  I will probably not break
non-disclosure agreements if I say that we want to play with Lotus'
Notes for a while and see if and how it behaves under different OSses.

Quote:

>UnixWare 2.0 (originally known as SVR4.2MP) does (or rather, will, once
>it's announced) support Symmetric Multi-Processing (SMP).  I believe
>support for the first four processors is part of the out-of-the-box
>configuration.  After that it's add-on time.

Does it or doesn't it exist right now? I understand that it isn't
as yet officially announced? In that case it probably is to late
to be of use and the Novell-NL salesman can stay at home. Pity.
I always wanted to try Unixware.

Paai.

SMP (?) and Linux

Post by Martin Sohni » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 21:11:10

: Does it [UnixWare 2.0] or doesn't it exist right now? I understand that
: it isn't as yet officially announced? In that case it probably is to
: late to be of use and the Novell-NL salesman can stay at home. Pity.  I
: always wanted to try Unixware.

It's out in beta, and the final versions are currently being circulated
internally.

Unfortunately, for non-US customers, there are still serious problems
getting even previews out to them, due to US export restrictions (write to
your Congress-person!):  after all, everybody knows that * are sort-of
legal in the Netherlands, so we can be quite sure that there must be
Commies lurking behind every*!

--
                        +----------------------------------+
Martin Sohnius          | "If you can't be funny,          |
Novell Labs Europe      |  at least be interesting."       |
Bracknell, England      |     - Harold W. Ross             |
+44-1344-724031         +----------------------------------+
                        (I speak for myself, not for Novell or anyone else.)

SMP (?) and Linux

Post by J.J. Paijma » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 19:38:30

Quote:>your Congress-person!):  after all, everybody knows that * are sort-of
>legal in the Netherlands, so we can be quite sure that there must be
>Commies lurking behind every*!

Hah! Commies are the least of your worries. We also have cows, frogs
and Andy Tanenbaum. As you know, this last person is responsible for
Minix and so ultimately for Linux by driving Linus Thorvalds mad.

Paai.

SMP (?) and Linux

Post by J.J. Paijma » Tue, 15 Nov 1994 17:18:20

Somebody may be parking a "Redcord" or some such machine in my
room. The beastie is rumored to have multiple processors on board.
My question: can Linux cope with multiple processors? The
acronym SMP kept popping up, but I seem to have missed the
meaning of the characters...

Paai.

1. Best NIC card -- LInux 2.4 SMP -> LInux 2.4 SMP

Folks,

We have some nice Dell servers that are dual Pentium III's and
10,000 RPM scsi 160 disks running the new RedHat 7.2 (kernel 2.4.9...),
but we feel a bit "guilty" about using $15 Netgear FA310TX ethernet
cards in them.

Saw some PC type reviews and they liked the FA310TX -- we aren't
interested
in encryption/remote management/....   just TCP performance.

Thanks.

John Murtari

2. Can't boot Linux on Compaq Deskpro

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. accton mpx2

5. FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE Linux 6.0 SMP by 230 percent

6. rpm: shared files problem

7. List of SMP Boards that are known to Work with SMP LINUX.

8. Need some help

9. RH-Linux SMP support (kernel-smp-2.4.18-27.7)

10. Linux SMP/ 486 SMP Motherboards?

11. SMP - zombie processes with SMP enabled ...

12. SMP motherboards (760 MPX chipset) and SMP howto

13. Booting SMP kernel on non-SMP machines?