Printing Postscript to Epson using lpr??

Printing Postscript to Epson using lpr??

Post by Wayne Pilgri » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to setup my Epson Stylus Color II to print with Redhat 5.1.
I went to page http://www.u.arizona.edu/~zdw/uniprint.html which has
good instructions.  I downloaded the Glibc ghostscript-5.10-6.i386.rpm
and ghostscript-fonts-std-5.10-7.noarch.rpm and installed them

-sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 tiger.ps -c quit &) to print a postscript file to
my printer works fine.....so ghostscript works!  When I try to use lpr
to print a postscript file I get the postscript code, not the output.
When I run gv and try to print a postscript file I get the same
results....probably because I am using lpr as my print command.  What is
going on?  Explain to me the steps Linux takes when I type "lpr
testing.ps".......

Q:  How does Linux determine filetype and know to process the file as
postscript ??
Q:  I added a few "echo" lines to my ps-to-printer.fpi file in the
/usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters directory.  I wanted to see that it is
being read but I never see the echo commands executed.  They should
display.   Does this mean I am not using the ps-to-printer.fpi file in
my /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters directory when I try to print
postscript?
Q:  When does postscript.cfg get read?  Which file is supposed to call
ghostscript when printing postscript with the lpr command.

I'd really like to get this solved because as far as I know, I need
postscript to be able to print from Netscape.

Thank You for your help.

Post by Bob Tenne » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

 >I am trying to setup my Epson Stylus Color II to print with Redhat 5.1.
 >I went to page http://www.u.arizona.edu/~zdw/uniprint.html which has
 >good instructions.

I guess they should be better.  Here's what to do.  To the file

/usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/printerdb

add the following entry:

#
# Unified Printer Driver
#

StartEntry: Uniprint
  GSDriver: uniprint
  About: { \
             This driver provides support for several printers.\
             For full details on its use see the file devices.txt.\n\
             To use this driver you must enter the name of the correct\
             upp file in the "Extra GS options" box.\n\n\
             E.g. to get an Epson Stylus Color 600 to print at\n\n\

         }
  Resolution: {360} {360} {plain paper}
  Resolution: {720} {720} {plain paper}
  Resolution: {1440} {720} {inkjet paper}
EndEntry

Then execute printtool (as root) and configure for your printer.
You need to name the printer (say epsII), select the Unified Printer
Driver, and choose the appropriate driver file to fill in the
Extra GS options box.  According to the devices file that comes

Then print Postscript by doing lpr -PepsII file.ps

Bob T.

Post by Vern Hox » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I am trying to setup my Epson Stylus Color II to print with Redhat 5.1.
>I went to page http://www.u.arizona.edu/~zdw/uniprint.html which has
>good instructions.  I downloaded the Glibc ghostscript-5.10-6.i386.rpm
>and ghostscript-fonts-std-5.10-7.noarch.rpm and installed them

>-sOutputFile=/dev/lp1 tiger.ps -c quit &) to print a postscript file to
>my printer works fine.....so ghostscript works!  When I try to use lpr
>to print a postscript file I get the postscript code, not the output.
>When I run gv and try to print a postscript file I get the same
>results....probably because I am using lpr as my print command.  What is
>going on?  Explain to me the steps Linux takes when I type "lpr
>testing.ps".......

>Q:  How does Linux determine filetype and know to process the file as
>postscript ??

Get the magic-filter.tgz package.  It is probably included with most
distributions.  If not, I think I saw it on tsx-11 recently.

Then make this entry in /etc/printcap:

#for postscript
ps
 :if=/usr/local/bin/bj200-filter
 :lp=/dev/lp1
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
 :mx%0
 :sh

Then you call lpr with the -Fps option.  Of course you will want to
use the proper filter for your printer instead of bj-200.

You may also have to study the lpd instruction about how set up that
monster.  I had to add "/sbin/ifconfig dummy zebra" to my
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 script.

vern
--

3975 W. 29th Ave.                                        uucp: 303-455-2670
Denver, Colo., 80212                                    voice: 303-477-1780

1. printing postscript using 'LPR'

Would ANYBODY know what is happening here ?

I am unable to print postscript files to my printer when using
the 'LPR' command either at the shell prompt or from within a
program such as Netscape, Mosaic, or Ghostview. I have been able
to get 'GS' to convert a postscript file to a format my printer
understands. By using a command such as:

 'gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=tiger.ps tiger.epson'

 And I can print it. BUT ONLY if I log in as ROOT and use the
command:

'cat FILENAME > /dev/lp0'

If I try to print a postscript file or a converted file using
'LPR' or the above mentioned programs the output is just codes
and not a graphic. In my 'printcap' I do have a reference to an
input filter. The filter is:

'/usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=-'

But 'LPR' just prints the codes ! Even on a converted file !

Totally bewildered,

--
   Eric Trimmer

2. Redhat 5.0 and the Internet

3. Stumped by Ghostscript (Netscape printing on Epson Stylus Pro w/lpr based printing)

4. Default Shell Variable Settings

5. It's Possible Printing Postscript Documents with lpr (linux) or print command ( windows)?

6. Pre-R1

7. Using lpr + nprint to print to NW print queues

8. Network doesn't work

9. cannot print using lpr without PPP connection using Caldera (Red Hat)

10. using lpr to print only even or odd pages, using tar

11. Printing via lpr to an Epson 740

12. problem printing postscript file on EPSON Stylus 600

13. How does one print postscript correctly via lpr?????