Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Mark Lehre » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Well, folks, this is awesome.

Over the weekend I bought a super cheap $20 network card.  And on
the disk was, of all things, A LINUX DRIVER.

This is a first for me - I have never seen a third party Linux driver
included with generic hardware before.

I just had to share that story.

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Steve Fin » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Over the weekend I bought a super cheap $20 network card.  And on
> the disk was, of all things, A LINUX DRIVER.

What kind of card? In what form was the driver? (source? Do you need to
recompile the kernel to use it?)

I have absolutely no use for a network card, but I would contemplate
buying one just to encourage them and say thanks... :)

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Andrew Cos » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On 02 Oct 1997 14:56:30 -0400,

>Well, folks, this is awesome.
>Over the weekend I bought a super cheap $20 network card.  And on
>the disk was, of all things, A LINUX DRIVER.
>This is a first for me - I have never seen a third party Linux driver
>included with generic hardware before.
>I just had to share that story.

Yeah!

Which card?

If I can, I'm getting one.  Assuming the card works decently (does it?).
I'd suggest anyone else considering an ethernet purchase think about
doing the same.  Reward these guys!

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Bruce Lytl » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> > Over the weekend I bought a super cheap $20 network card.  And on
> > the disk was, of all things, A LINUX DRIVER.

> What kind of card? In what form was the driver? (source? Do you need to
> recompile the kernel to use it?)

> I have absolutely no use for a network card, but I would contemplate
> buying one just to encourage them and say thanks... :)

No time better than the present (to start a network)!, especially at
this price!

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Jason Cliffor » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On 02 Oct 1997 14:56:30 -0400,

>This is a first for me - I have never seen a third party Linux driver
>included with generic hardware before.

There are several companies selling kit with Linux drivers, and more
coming into the fold all the time.

Emerging Tech Inc ( http://www.etinc.com ) supply Linux drivers (as well
as FreeBSD) with all of their high speed sync serial cards, as do RISCom
and, I believe, Sangoma. ET provide a ready compiled module plus source
so you can use it like an API for your own work.

Most suppliers of multiport serial cards now provide Linux drivers.

Still waiting for 3COM, HP, SMC et al to provide Linux drivers with
their cards and I don't really expect that they will as there is already
support for them in the kernel.

Who was it though that makes the card you bought? The deserve some
publicity. Tell us their name!

Jason Clifford
Genesis Internet Services Limited
--
As a service I provide analysis of viruses and poor grammar to senders
of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of $500.00 per hour. Delivery

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Russell Nelso » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On 02 Oct 1997 14:56:30 -0400,

>Well, folks, this is awesome.
>Over the weekend I bought a super cheap $20 network card.  And on
>the disk was, of all things, A LINUX DRIVER.
>This is a first for me - I have never seen a third party Linux driver
>included with generic hardware before.

Please tell me who they are.  I'd like to list them on
http://www.veryComputer.com/, which lists vendors who advertise Linux
support, and whose tech support people know that they support Linux.

--

Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Taxes feed the *

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Bernhard van Staver » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: Cyclades includes Linux drivers with at least some if not all of their
: multiport serial cards.  Our Cyclades 8Zo PCI card came with a floppy
: disk for the Linux drivers and firmware loading program.  Source is
: provided for both the driver and firmware loader as well as updated
: drivers on their ftp site.  If only all companies were as open as them.
Well, it seems some companies have actually raised their IQ's =] There are
still too much companies that only do things for Windoze 95/NT because "it's
the standard".

Think "WinModem" ..

--
.-----------------------------.------------------------.

| http://www.xirian.demon.nl/ | I kill spammers...     |
`-----------------------------+------------------------'

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Teo Hong Sia » Sun, 05 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Well, folks, this is awesome.

>Over the weekend I bought a super cheap $20 network card.  And on
>the disk was, of all things, A LINUX DRIVER.

>This is a first for me - I have never seen a third party Linux driver
>included with generic hardware before.

>I just had to share that story.

What I want to know is, how do you install the driver ?
Are there instructions to patch the kernel and recompile ?

cheers,
Hong Siang
The sticker on the box said, "Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0, or better."
So I installed Linux.
Teo Hong Siang                                   Tel (H): (65)746 2598
Manager, DTG Development Office                      (O): (65)772 7114

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Frankie K.T. C » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Well, folks, this is awesome.

> Over the weekend I bought a super cheap $20 network card.  And on
> the disk was, of all things, A LINUX DRIVER.

> This is a first for me - I have never seen a third party Linux driver
> included with generic hardware before.

> I just had to share that story.

Considering that the card only cost $20, it's likely
to be one of those generic NE2000 clones. Whoever
packaged the thing probably got the driver module from
RH or something. Hate to say it, but no big deal
really.

Mind you, it's a good trend. It's a nice thought on
the vendor's side. Wise thing to do if that could
create a few more sales.

Cheers,
Frank.
--
a?? - ????-???
ASCII and BIG5 Readable...

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by Stuart Lyn » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>On 02 Oct 1997 14:56:30 -0400,

>>This is a first for me - I have never seen a third party Linux driver
>>included with generic hardware before.

>There are several companies selling kit with Linux drivers, and more
>coming into the fold all the time.

>Emerging Tech Inc ( http://www.etinc.com ) supply Linux drivers (as well
>as FreeBSD) with all of their high speed sync serial cards, as do RISCom
>and, I believe, Sangoma. ET provide a ready compiled module plus source
>so you can use it like an API for your own work.

>Most suppliers of multiport serial cards now provide Linux drivers.

>Still waiting for 3COM, HP, SMC et al to provide Linux drivers with
>their cards and I don't really expect that they will as there is already
>support for them in the kernel.

See:

        http://www.smc.com/ftpdocs/chips.html

Quote:>       SMC9000 Ethernet Controllers
>       This area contains drivers and utilities for the SMC9000 family of Ethernet
>       products.
>       linux9.tar.gz (16.9K) 17kb - 02/27/96 - SMC9000 Linux drivers. ISA
>       adapters. Source code tar-gzipped.

And search on www.3com.com, they don't have drivers, but certainly do
have easily found info on their site that lets you know where to find
them.

Quote:>      Document #: 03533

--

PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68

Amazing Linux Driver story

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

  Mark> Well, folks, this is awesome.

  Mark> Over the weekend I bought a super cheap $20 network card.  And
  Mark> on the disk was, of all things, A LINUX DRIVER.

  Mark> This is a first for me - I have never seen a third party Linux
  Mark> driver included with generic hardware before.

  Mark> I just had to share that story.

AdvanSys also provide a Linux driver on their floppies, for their SCSI
cards.

1. Quite Amazing What Linux Can Do

Beat this.

Situation:  My internet box does the following:

-> caching name server, authoritative locally
-> web server
-> email server
-> secure web server ( +email = my private web mail)
-> leafnode server

There are two problems with it:

-> It is in a horrible P166 w/external cache turned off,
   horribly slow, and..
-> Your humble narrator partitioned a 40Gig drive into one
   giant partition, somewhat limiting my flexibility (ahem).

So how to fix it?

Simple, if you are running Linux.  First, lift the HDD out of the box and
put into the new box with a completely different CPU, RAM, cd-rom, etc.
Right here you are already way ahead of MS Winders.  Boots up perfectly and
runs, but since I did that yesterday we already knew that, ho hum, yawn.

But how to fix this crappy 40Gig partition I made?  I need this on a much
smaller partition so I have some future flexibility (such as chroot'ing
into a gentoo system, hee hee).  This situation is intractable in Windows,
you are just plain stuck-o-stuck.  But not so in Linux, it is a simple
matter of copying some files.

I take a 60Gig drive that's got a 100M /boot partition and an 8Gig root
partition, a "proper" drive in other words, that is OK to boot, with LILO
and everything.  I put the drives together and boot to the monolithic
giant-single-partition system.  Mount the 8Gig partition from the other HDD
into /mnt/hdb6, and then start copying directories.  (I know there are many
other ways to get to the same place, but this worked for me and I
understood it).  I copied /var, /usr, /etc and a few others, completely
ovewriting what was there.  The only thing I changed was the /etc/fstab
file and the permissions on tmp (had to set sticky bit, can someone explain
that?).

When I removed the original drive, set the jumper on the new drive, and
rebooted, it worked perfectly, and I mean perfectly the first time all
around on every function.  Isn't that rather astounding???? The name server
worked, the web server worked, the secure web server worked, the email
server worked, the webmail CGI scripts worked, and leafnode worked.  It all
just plain worked.  That's Linux.

This is how life should be, whether it be the home hobby system or the boxes
they pay you to sheperd.
--
Ken

2. Kppp wants root's password to start..

3. Linux is an amazing OS...

4. 2 silly questions

5. Linux - No Hard Disk? Amazing

6. Upgrading kernel

7. Linux vs Linux, story by Maggie Biggs

8. filesystem quota problem!!!!!!!!

9. ...AMAZING Disappearing CD-ROM!!

10. Buying machines...amazing adventure!

11. Amazing Intel i740 display card ! Please help !!

12. Oh my god! It's amazing!

13. "Quality" Cpanel/WHM Host - Amazing Promotion!!!!!