Amoeba 5.2 now available by FTP for universities

Amoeba 5.2 now available by FTP for universities

Post by Frank Lofa » Thu, 21 Apr 1994 16:46:37

Original artical was posted to comp.os.linux.announce:

>Release 5.2 of the Amoeba Distributed Operating System is now available.

>Amoeba is a powerful microkernel-based system that turns a collection of
>workstations or single-board computers into a transparent distributed system.
>It has been in use in academia, industry, and government for about 5 years.

>The major new features of Version 5.2 are:
> -  Amoeba now runs on the SPARC, as well as the 386/486, 68030, and Sun 3
> -  Distribution by FTP (free to universities) without a signed license

>Potential users should FTP the Intro.ps.Z file from one of these sites:
>    USA:            ftp.cse.ucsc.edu        (in dir pub/amoeba)
>    Europe:         ftp.cs.vu.nl            (in dir amoeba)
>This document tells more about Amoeba and how to obtain it.

>Free FTP is only for universities wishing to use Amoeba for research/teaching.
>Companies and nonprofit organizations MUST contact our dealer:
>    ACE, Associated Computer Experts, B.V

>The full documentation for Amoeba (over 1000 pages) is available by FTP as
>described in Intro.ps.  All users (also companies) may FTP the documentation.

>--

>Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.
>--
>Linux: Generous programmers from around the world all join forces to help
>       you shoot yourself in the foot for free.

        WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING ON COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE?!  NOT
ONLY IS IT NOT ABOUT LINUX, IT IS ABOUT A COMPETING PRODUCT, FOR G*D'S
SAKE!  And the poster (the ever clueless Andrew S. Tannenbaum, yes,
the one that FLAMED LINUS TORVALDS!!!) has the NERVE to say what he
did about Linux in his signature (he wasn't joking, trust me!). That
signature is OFFENSIVE IN THE EXTREME, and should have NEVER been
approved by the moderator! Maybe if he wanted to share his product he
could have done it in comp.os.linux.misc (a BIG maybe) but not
comp.os.linux.announce. That is for important announcements about
_linux_! Wait a minute, his product is a commercial competitor to
Linux, yet another way his post is offensive, inappropriate, and
not-wanted. The right thing to do would be to post to
comp.os.linux.misc as I said before, minus the anti-Linux comment, if
he was going to post to a Linux group at all.
        I was taken aghast by the post; I even checked the headers to
make sure the moderation wasn't forged (!) that is how shocked I was.
        I usually approve of comp.os.linux.announce, and I am not
intending this as a flame of the moderators; they have done an
excellent job overall, but that post just ticked me off big time. THIS
IS A FLAME OF THE POST ITSELF THOUGH. THINGS LIKE THAT KILL THE SIGNAL
TO NOISE RATIO OF THE LINUX GROUPS! That, and people saying NetBSD is
better than Linux, Windows is better than Linux, DOS is better than
Linux, Novell is better than Linux TCP/IP, etc.

Post by Remco Treffko » Sat, 23 Apr 1994 04:21:17

: Original artical was posted to comp.os.linux.announce:

: >Release 5.2 of the Amoeba Distributed Operating System is now available.
: >
Amoeba plug deleted...
: >

: >
: >--

: >Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.
: >--
: >Linux: Generous programmers from around the world all join forces to help
: >       you shoot yourself in the foot for free.
: >

:       WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING ON COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE?!  NOT
: ONLY IS IT NOT ABOUT LINUX, IT IS ABOUT A COMPETING PRODUCT, FOR G*D'S
: SAKE!  And the poster (the ever clueless Andrew S. Tannenbaum, yes,
: the one that FLAMED LINUS TORVALDS!!!) has the NERVE to say what he
: did about Linux in his signature (he wasn't joking, trust me!). That
: signature is OFFENSIVE IN THE EXTREME, and should have NEVER been
: approved by the moderator! Maybe if he wanted to share his product he
And a very upset Frank Lofaro goes on, but we do not need it it here again...

Cool it, man !-)

The offending signature was probably added by the very moderator of c.o.l.a.
You might check it out: all the recent posts to that group have this
signature. Knowing where it is coming from, I think it is funny.
I can even see the twisted humor in posting this announcement to c.o.l.a.

I do not know the moderator, but he certainly has my kind of humor. Even
better than "BogoMips(tm)"!

Remco
--

Remco Treffkorn, DC2XT

(408) 685-1201

Amoeba 5.2 now available by FTP for universities

Post by d.. » Sat, 23 Apr 1994 07:11:29

[A lot of ranting and raving deleted]

- You must cut down on steroids.
- The signature you refer to is not AST's. It is the moderator's.
- Competition is GOOD, but who is competing?
- The fact that AST choose to post to c.o.l.a is a complement to
  the Linux community! He was obviously seeking a knowledgable
  audience for it.

... etc.

Post by John Dyso » Sat, 23 Apr 1994 12:05:00

>    WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING ON COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE?!  NOT
>ONLY IS IT NOT ABOUT LINUX, IT IS ABOUT A COMPETING PRODUCT, FOR G*D'S
>SAKE!  And the poster (the ever clueless Andrew S. Tannenbaum, yes,

I am a FreeBSD team member -- and I wish that this message would have
appeared there.  I agree that "my daddy can beat your daddy up" arguments
are garbage, but I thought that the purpose of these forums were for
technical information and exchange, among others???  We need to forget
about squabbles, quit being tribal, and just get along.

John

Post by Niels Skov Ols » Sun, 24 Apr 1994 02:54:21

>[A lot of ranting and raving deleted]
>- You must cut down on steroids.
>- The signature you refer to is not AST's. It is the moderator's.
>- Competition is GOOD, but who is competing?
>- The fact that AST choose to post to c.o.l.a is a complement to
>  the Linux community! He was obviously seeking a knowledgable
>  audience for it.

and besides, Amoeba is *not* a competitor to Linux. Amoeba is a
transparant distributed operating system Linux is far from that.

>... etc.
>--

>+--------------------------------------+

Niels
--
"here is a man who *would* not take it any more -- here is a man who stood up"
                                 -Travis Bickle

Post by Frank Lofa » Sun, 24 Apr 1994 06:20:19

>: Original artical was posted to comp.os.linux.announce:

>: >Release 5.2 of the Amoeba Distributed Operating System is now available.
>: >
>Amoeba plug deleted...
>: >

>: >
>: >--

>: >Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.
>: >--
>: >Linux: Generous programmers from around the world all join forces to help
>: >       you shoot yourself in the foot for free.
>: >

>:   WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING ON COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE?!  NOT
>: ONLY IS IT NOT ABOUT LINUX, IT IS ABOUT A COMPETING PRODUCT, FOR G*D'S
>: SAKE!  And the poster (the ever clueless Andrew S. Tannenbaum, yes,
>: the one that FLAMED LINUS TORVALDS!!!) has the NERVE to say what he
>: did about Linux in his signature (he wasn't joking, trust me!). That
>: signature is OFFENSIVE IN THE EXTREME, and should have NEVER been
>: approved by the moderator! Maybe if he wanted to share his product he
>And a very upset Frank Lofaro goes on, but we do not need it it here again...

>Cool it, man !-)

>The offending signature was probably added by the very moderator of c.o.l.a.
>You might check it out: all the recent posts to that group have this
>signature. Knowing where it is coming from, I think it is funny.
>I can even see the twisted humor in posting this announcement to c.o.l.a.

>I do not know the moderator, but he certainly has my kind of humor. Even
>better than "BogoMips(tm)"!

>Remco
>--

>Remco Treffkorn, DC2XT

>(408) 685-1201

ARRGGH! I canceled the article I posted. The d*mn cancel didn't propagate.
Sigh.

Post by Andreas Matthi » Mon, 25 Apr 1994 07:46:12

: Original artical was posted to comp.os.linux.announce:

: >Release 5.2 of the Amoeba Distributed Operating System is now available.

: >Linux: Generous programmers from around the world all join forces to help
: >       you shoot yourself in the foot for free.

:       WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING ON COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE?!  NOT
: ONLY IS IT NOT ABOUT LINUX, IT IS ABOUT A COMPETING PRODUCT, FOR G*D'S
: SAKE!

There are no "competing products" in the free software field. Even
if amoeba is not really free, it still is free for universities (and
you are posting your article from a university account) and even if
it is not a Linux product, it is of great interest to everybody that
wants to try new OS's (and that why we use Linux, I think - because
we want to experiment with our OS).

: And the poster (the ever clueless Andrew S. Tannenbaum, yes,

He has written a unix-like system by himself, long before Linux
came out. I don't know what YOU have done that gives you the right
to call anyone "ever clueless". Idiot.

: did about Linux in his signature (he wasn't joking, trust me!). That
: signature is OFFENSIVE IN THE EXTREME, and should have NEVER been
: approved by the moderator!

I don't know how you deal with freedom of speech in your country, but
we use to have a bit of it. And it surely guarantees that everyone
has the right to say that Linux is shit, if he likes to.

The job of a moderator is not to delete every mail that expresses an
opinion that YOU don't like.

: could have done it in comp.os.linux.misc (a BIG maybe) but not
: comp.os.linux.announce. That is for important announcements about
: _linux_!

If something really interesting happens in the field of operating
systems, and there is a newsgroup for people that are interested in
operating systems, why not tell them about ? Your (and my ;-)) article
waste a lot more bandwidth than his original posting did. I'm sorry
for it, but I could not read this nonsense without replying.

: comp.os.linux.misc as I said before, minus the anti-Linux comment, if
: he was going to post to a Linux group at all.

Everyone may make as many anti-linux comments as he wishes. If you
don't like it, don't read it. Idiot.

: TO NOISE RATIO OF THE LINUX GROUPS! That, and people saying NetBSD is
: better than Linux, Windows is better than Linux, DOS is better than
: Linux, Novell is better than Linux TCP/IP, etc.

You should cure that problem you have with your Linux installation.
Perhaps it would help if you used amoeba instead and would leave us
alone. Idiot. ;-)

Ciao,

Andreas

Post by Grant Tayl » Sat, 23 Apr 1994 13:53:36

> Original artical was posted to comp.os.linux.announce:

>>Release 5.2 of the Amoeba Distributed Operating System is now available.
>>[...]

>>--

>>Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.
>>--
>>Linux: Generous programmers from around the world all join forces to help
>>       you shoot yourself in the foot for free.

>    WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING ON COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE?!  NOT
> ONLY IS IT NOT ABOUT LINUX, IT IS ABOUT A COMPETING PRODUCT, FOR G*D'S
> SAKE!  And the poster (the ever clueless Andrew S. Tannenbaum, yes,
> the one that FLAMED LINUS TORVALDS!!!) has the NERVE to say what he
> did about Linux in his signature (he wasn't joking, trust me!). That
> signature is OFFENSIVE IN THE EXTREME, and should have NEVER been
> approved by the moderator!
> [...]

The Linux sig seems to be after the moderator's plug, and what's more,
it appears in several other c.o.l.announce posts that day.  You silly
person - you're complaining about the wrong man.  The `offensive
person' you should be flaming is mdw, the cola guy, the author of
several linux books, and the howto co-ordinator.  And someone who
evidently has more of a sense of humour than you do.

Linux and Amoeba are two different things.  Linux is young and
everywhere.  Amoeba is someone's research for the past 13 years, but
Linux is a useable, stable unix clone.

-grant

ps - only morons post in all caps ;)
--

  --> Read the Linux Printing-HOWTO -- get it from the URL above or <--
        ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO

Amoeba 5.2 now available by FTP for universities

Post by Rich Skren » Fri, 29 Apr 1994 05:04:26

I read about Amoeba several years ago, thought it was cool, and tried
to find out how an individual would go about getting a copy.  I wasn't
able to get squat out of ACE.

Now, after seeing the Amoeba announcement in c.o.l.a, I try again.  I sent
them a letter asking how an individual, not with a university or a company,
could get a copy to play with.  I got back a response saying that they
couldn't answer me until I provided them with my company name, fax #, etc.

Linux has nothing to worry about, but I wish it did.  I would love a
usable net transparent OS based on capabilities on my home net.

--

Post by Jon Skelt » Fri, 29 Apr 1994 23:39:55

: >  WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING ON COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE?!  NOT
: > ONLY IS IT NOT ABOUT LINUX, IT IS ABOUT A COMPETING PRODUCT, FOR G*D'S
: > SAKE!

I learned of Linux while reading an OS/2 newsgroup.  Someone needs to
chill the %&*# out.

Jon

Linux 1.0 is really cool.

Amoeba 5.2 now available by FTP for universities

Post by LOBEL RASCHKOW THOM » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 22:49:27

 Whatever has to be said about Andrew Tanenbaum, the operating
 system looks very interesting. If you have some time, read the
 introductory files.
 This system seems to be not a competitor of Linux or FreeBSD,
 but a very interesting OS on its own.
 I doubt i'll spread like linux has , cause i'ts more oriented
 to research, and it seem to need a bigger amount of hardware
 to operate well (5 motherboards!). It is, in any case, a step into
 future O/S's . I'll don't write more cause i want to encourage you
 at least to read the introduction.

 Me, I'm trying to put together the hardware to try it out, would
 be a wonderful tool for an OS course if it works as promised.

                                                                                Roberto de Iriarte

(  Writing from my boss' account cause the machine on which mine is,
   is down for the moment, sniff .... )

Post by Thomas Koen » Sat, 07 May 1994 07:32:55

>Original artical was posted to comp.os.linux.announce:

>>Release 5.2 of the Amoeba Distributed Operating System is now available.
--
>>Linux: Generous programmers from around the world all join forces to help
>>       you shoot yourself in the foot for free.

That's as good a good variation of "shooting yourself in the foot"
as I ever saw ;-)

Quote:>    WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING ON COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE?!  NOT
>ONLY IS IT NOT ABOUT LINUX, IT IS ABOUT A COMPETING PRODUCT, FOR G*D'S
>SAKE!

You're hurting my ears ;-)

Anyway, chances are that somebody who's interested in Linux is interested
in advanced operating systems.  So, I'd say, this posting is of interest
to many c.o.l.a readers.

So what?  Net.greats have fought religious wars over many issues,
flaming each other in the process.

Quote:>has the NERVE to say what he
>did about Linux in his signature (he wasn't joking, trust me!).

Well, I see the joke...

Quote:>Wait a minute, his product is a commercial competitor to
>Linux, yet another way his post is offensive, inappropriate, and
>not-wanted.

He's giving it away for free to researchers, for god's sake.  Unix started
out that way.
--

The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double
logarithmic diagram.

Post by Dan Wild » Sat, 07 May 1994 04:53:24

>: >      WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DOING ON COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE?!  NOT
>: > ONLY IS IT NOT ABOUT LINUX, IT IS ABOUT A COMPETING PRODUCT, FOR G*D'S
>: > SAKE!
>chill the %&*# out.

Yeah, amen.  I learned about Sather on an Eiffel newsgroup.  We're all
friends here (except maybe Linus Torvalds and Andrew Tannenbaum, hopefully
they're friends again now).  Let's keep it cool if we can.

---
Dan Wilder

1. Amoeba 5.2 now available by FTP for universities

[...]

2. Hmmm...That's Odd? The Password has changed.

3. FTP RH 5.2 -> RH 5.2 = NFT (No File Transfer)

4. Unresolved symbols during linking

5. only anon ftp access? 5.2 ftp question

6. Unix and Windows NT 4.0

7. Sun Solaris source made available to Universities/Researchers.

8. Eliminate compiler warnings from jbd_kmalloc

9. When is Redhat 5.2 going to be available

10. RedHat 5.2 -> 2.2.x required updates RPMs available

11. Linux 2.2 upgrade pack for Red Hat 5.2 available

12. RH 5.2 Source Code *IS AVAILABLE* from CheapBytes

13. Initio-enabled Red Hat 5.2 install floppy available