warcraft II

Post by Todd Coh » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I remember not too long ago there was a big discussion about makeing a
 WCII binary for Linux. Did anything ever come out of that?

http://cohen.ml.org/~todd Linux page
--

warcraft II

Post by Richard Stein » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>I remember not too long ago there was a big discussion about makeing a
> WCII binary for Linux. Did anything ever come out of that?

I dunno.  FWIW, I've just been playing Craft (a free game which is a
bit similar to Warcraft I), and I think the combination of some of its
features (heaping and digging <g>) with slightly better graphics and a
save game option might tempt me away from Warcraft II.

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

warcraft II

Post by David Ashl » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>spake unto us, saying:

>>I remember not too long ago there was a big discussion about makeing a
>> WCII binary for Linux. Did anything ever come out of that?

>I dunno.  FWIW, I've just been playing Craft (a free game which is a
>bit similar to Warcraft I), and I think the combination of some of its
>features (heaping and digging <g>) with slightly better graphics and a
>save game option might tempt me away from Warcraft II.

>--

>           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
>                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

I wrote a utility to display all the icons + tile graphics from the
Warcraft 2 data file (based on other programs that do the same thing only
making it vastly more tedious to do so). The hope was that it would be
able to save them out in some useful format, and then someone else could
write a Warcraft 2 clone (like Craft for example) and use the WC2 graphics,
which IMHO are the best there are (M$ AOE's look spindly and, strangely,
they have a lack of warmth about them). I stopped messing with it when I
got interested in doing a linux Sega Genesis emulator, which now works
except for z80/sound emulation (and it's too cpu intensive)...If people are
interested I can put source code on my web site...More of the cathedral
vs bizarre thing I guess.

--

http://www.epyx.com/dash
SPAMMERS: You have nothing I want, don't send me email.

warcraft II

Post by Matthew Busigi » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: spake unto us, saying:

: >I remember not too long ago there was a big discussion about makeing a
: > WCII binary for Linux. Did anything ever come out of that?

: I dunno.  FWIW, I've just been playing Craft (a free game which is a
: bit similar to Warcraft I), and I think the combination of some of its
: features (heaping and digging <g>) with slightly better graphics and a
: save game option might tempt me away from Warcraft II.

Is this 'Craft' for Linux?

warcraft II

Post by Richard Stein » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

>: I dunno.  FWIW, I've just been playing Craft (a free game which is a
>: bit similar to Warcraft I), and I think the combination of some of its
>: features (heaping and digging <g>) with slightly better graphics and a
>: save game option might tempt me away from Warcraft II.

>Is this 'Craft' for Linux?

Yes, it is.  And Solaris.  Check it out here:

  http://borneo.gmd.de/~hua/

It's actually been good enough to keep my attention for the better part
of a week now.  :-)

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

warcraft II

Post by Matthew Busigi » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: spake unto us, saying:

: >
: >: I dunno.  FWIW, I've just been playing Craft (a free game which is a
: >: bit similar to Warcraft I), and I think the combination of some of its
: >: features (heaping and digging <g>) with slightly better graphics and a
: >: save game option might tempt me away from Warcraft II.
: >
: >Is this 'Craft' for Linux?

: Yes, it is.  And Solaris.  Check it out here:

:   http://borneo.gmd.de/~hua/

: It's actually been good enough to keep my attention for the better part
: of a week now.  :-)

Ack! I went to the site on Monday morning. I am cramming all my work for the
week today because I've been playing too much!
Very, very impressive.

               matt :-)

warcraft II

Post by Richard Stein » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

>: >Is this 'Craft' for Linux?

>: Yes, it is.  And Solaris.  Check it out here:
>:   http://borneo.gmd.de/~hua/
>: It's actually been good enough to keep my attention for the better
>: part of a week now.  :-)

>Ack! I went to the site on Monday morning. I am cramming all my work
>for the week today because I've been playing too much!
>Very, very impressive.

Lots of fun.  Although I really wish there was some way to save a game
so I could play it a bit more seriously.  As it is, I have to allocate
a big block of time to it.  Games without islands are tough!