WIN98 and Suse-Linux 6.1 Problems

Post by Thomas Hoc » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi ...

i retrieved some prblems after installing the newest SuSe distibution 6.1.
After finisching yast-lilo configuration (hda1 = dos, hdb1 = linux standaard
IDE-Kernel) i restartet the system and it seem to work with the new linux
partitions.I rebooted the system again to start my old (Windows) system and
it dosn't come up until it press the reset button. in the next step I booted
in secure mode (and this is the only way to start Win) and I could not
change anything to repair my registry.
Finaly I started with a DOS-Boot Disk and used the fdisk With /mbr options
in hope to fix the Win problems. Nothing happens.

Now I need help!
It's an personal emergancy !!!!

Did anybody resolve this prob or got any idea ????

Thnax 4 reading

Thomas

WIN98 and Suse-Linux 6.1 Problems

Post by Peter Verth » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

: Hi ...
:
: i retrieved some prblems after installing the newest SuSe distibution 6.1.
: After finisching yast-lilo configuration (hda1 = dos, hdb1 = linux standaard
: IDE-Kernel) i restartet the system and it seem to work with the new linux
: partitions.I rebooted the system again to start my old (Windows) system and
: it dosn't come up until it press the reset button. in the next step I booted
: in secure mode (and this is the only way to start Win) and I could not
: change anything to repair my registry.
: Finaly I started with a DOS-Boot Disk and used the fdisk With /mbr options
: in hope to fix the Win problems. Nothing happens.

If I'm not mistaken, Windows is searching for a DOSish partition on
your second hard drive, doesn't find one, and doesn't like it...

I had this problem myself and the only solution that I found was to
create a very small DOSish partition on the second hard disk next to
my Linux partition.  This solved my problem.  I don't know if there is
a simpler solution (and haven't searched for it after I solved it, in
fact).

Also, in my case, there used to be a DOSish partition on the second disk
*before* I installed Linux, so maybe that was my problem (the fact
that it had disappeared to Windows).

Maybe someone else has a better solution ?

Best regards,
Peter.

Software Engineer Network Mgt.     Tel: (+32 3) 451 28 14 | Alcanet:
Alcatel Telecom, dept. XE60        Fax: (+32 3) 451 28 03 | (6)2681
When they start spelling your name in lower case, then you're
famous.
                                                          Hamming