Help: LOADLIN / UMSDOS installation [compaq aero]

Help: LOADLIN / UMSDOS installation [compaq aero]

Post by Perry Donh » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

I'm obviously missing some crucial bit of information.

I'm trying to load Linux on my Aero without benefit of a
floppy. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Copied the boot disk bare.b to the Aero
2. Copied the root disk umsds144.gz to the Aero
3. Unzipped both root and boot images.
4. Placed boot image in c:\
5. Placed root image in c:\linux
6. Copied Slackware a1-a4 to Aero
7. Using loadlin on the Aero:
        loadlinx c:\zimage root=c:\linux

At this point the kernel boots normally until it says:

        Mounting root
        /linux is there
        VFS: Mounted root (umsdos filesystem)

and hangs. What I expect to happen is to get a login: prompt so that I
can then run setup to load the rest of the OS.

Isn't it possible to use a single partition for both DOS and Linux
using UMSDOS? What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Perry

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.en-garde.com/kidpub

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.en-garde.com/kidpub

Help: LOADLIN / UMSDOS installation [compaq aero]

Post by Myles Willia » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>At this point the kernel boots normally until it says:

>    Mounting root
>    /linux is there
>    VFS: Mounted root (umsdos filesystem)

>and hangs. What I expect to happen is to get a login: prompt so that I
>can then run setup to load the rest of the OS.

First, you are not supposed to make the \linux directory yourself.
The setup program does that.  But the real problem is that you're
specifying a root partition without the necessary programs.  Have you
ever seen DOS boot without a command.com?  That's what you're doing
with Linux.  What would really help here (developers!) is a DOS
version of tar that supports UMSDOS, so you could put all the A series
files in place before booting.  For now, the only solution I can see
is to borrow an external floppy drive and put the root disk in it.

Myles Williams                  "When you see me again, it won't be me."

Post by Perry Donh » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

    >> At this point the kernel boots normally until it says:
    >>
    >> Mounting root /linux is there VFS: Mounted root (umsdos
    >> filesystem)
    >>
    >> and hangs. What I expect to happen is to get a login: prompt so
    >> that I can then run setup to load the rest of the OS.

    Myles> First, you are not supposed to make the \linux directory
    Myles> yourself.  The setup program does that.  But the real
    Myles> problem is that you're specifying a root partition without
    Myles> the necessary programs.  Have you ever seen DOS boot
    Myles> without a command.com?  That's what you're doing with
    Myles> Linux.  What would really help here (developers!) is a DOS
    Myles> version of tar that supports UMSDOS, so you could put all
    Myles> the A series files in place before booting.  For now, the
    Myles> only solution I can see is to borrow an external floppy
    Myles> drive and put the root disk in it.

I was hoping that the root disk image would have the equivalent of
command.com in it.

Yeah, a UMSDOS-aware version of TAR for DOS would be nice. I tried
building as much of the filesystem as I could from the A disks using a
DOS TAR, but it couldn't handle a few of the (important) file formats
(like the /dev files).

There's an interesting distribution called mini-linux which someone
pointed me to. I haven't loaded it yet, but it looks like the author
built a UMSDOS system and then zipped it. I was going to do this to
solvemy problem, but there's no sense re-inventing the wheel. The
package is at sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/distributions.

Post by Richard Delan » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

:     >> At this point the kernel boots normally until it says:
:     >>
[...]

I did sort of the same thing. I got MiniLinux because the floppy on my
machine went bad, and it's a pain to change, and I didn't feel like
waiting to install Linux :)
I just installed MiniLinux (it's Slackware) and then installed the
packages I wanted afterwards.

--

Finger for PGP key      http://www.j51.com:80/~delaney/
BBS: +1-914-639-6564   FIDO: 1:143/2625.1  -- Licensed to Think for MYself!

1. help with installation on compaq aero

i am trying to install linux on an old compaq aero.  it is an intel
486sl running at 25 mhz with 4 mb of ram.  i've tried to install red hat
5.0, red hat 4.1, and slackware 95 on it with no success.  i don't have
the exact error message hand, but what happens is that the kernal always
loads to a certain point, and then freezes, with a message such as
'kernel panic' or something to that effect.  i've recreated the root and
boot disks for all of these distributions multiple times, so i'm
confident that it's not a corrupt disk or kernel or anything like that.
i've also tried disabling the ram disk while booting the install kernel,
but that doesn't seem to work either.  my hunch is that 4 mb is not
enough ram to install.  can anybody help or share experiences?  thanks.

joe

2. Yggdrasil problems....

3. Compaq Aero APM Problem: Please help!

4. Wireless networking suggestions?

5. installing on compaq aero with pcmcia floppy -- PLEASE HELP

6. Remote Printing ?

7. Compaq Aero APM problem:Please help!

8. Locale Settings and X

9. Help with UMSDOS/LOADLIN !!!

10. floppy and pcmcia with compaq aero

11. freebsd 2.2.2 on compaq aero with shuttle

12. Where do I start for Compaq Aero 2150

13. RH 5.1 Install and LILO can't see Filesystems on Compaq Aero Laptop