Netscape on Linux

Post by Nasse » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Dear all,

>I just downloaded netscape gold v3.01 for linux, but wasn't able to get
>it run.
>When I start the program, it main screen showed up but after that as
>soon as
>I hit any options, the program will hang.

Yes, that sometimes happens to me too.

I think this is a known bug and probably there is a fix for it
somewhere I am sure.

how do you manage to get out of this when Netscape freezes?
do you reboot? I had to do that.

I use netscape 4.01 on NT now, much nicer and more solid.

Nasser

Quote:>fact I don't see any warning or error messages when netscape hang.

yep, that is true. it just freezes, it is very annoying.

Quote:>Philip

Nasser

Netscape on Linux

Post by Leslie Mikese » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I just downloaded netscape gold v3.01 for linux, but wasn't able to get
>it run.
>When I start the program, it main screen showed up but after that as
>soon as
>I hit any options, the program will hang.

>Note that I'm running RedHat 4.2, with every package installed.

It should work but look under:
ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/4.01/4.01b6/english/unix/other/
for the 4.01 version which seems pretty solid.

Les Mikesell

Netscape on Linux

Post by Philip Cha » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Dear all,

I just downloaded netscape gold v3.01 for linux, but wasn't able to get
it run.
When I start the program, it main screen showed up but after that as
soon as
I hit any options, the program will hang.

Note that I'm running RedHat 4.2, with every package installed.

Can someone tell me whether Netscape will run on plain XFree86, I mean
without motif.  I would also like to know if anyone encountered similar
problem before?  I knew it is a bid lack of sympton descriptioin here,
but in
fact I don't see any warning or error messages when netscape hang.

Thanks for your attention.
Philip

1. Can netscape/linux use the same config files as for netscape/win95?

Hi to all!

I use nescape 2 under win95 AND netscape 2 for Linux.

I'd like to know if it is possible to make netscape / linux use
the config files of netscape /win95. For example I'd like
to use the same mailbox. When I check my mail with netscape/win95
I keep my older messages, and reply them later, under linux sometimes..

It will also be easier for my bookmarks.

My linux is installed on a linux-partition (NON-UMSDOS) and my
dos partitions are mounted with the 'conv=auto' option.

Thanx a lot

                                        [FReD]

2. Routing

3. Netscape 3.0b4 says netscape not found on Linux.

4. Linux as IPX Router

5. Netscape should bundle Netscape with Linux!

6. IP Masquerade - List of compatible applications

7. Non Netscape Proxy between Netscape Commerce Server & Netscape Browser

8. Is there a good Aix Administrators mailing list?

9. netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz for Netscape 6.1 ppc?

10. Is it just me or is Netscape for linux slower than Netscape for win95?

11. Whis is faster? Netscape--Win95 or Netscape-Linux

12. linux-base-7 with linux-netscape

13. Upcoming Caldera Open Linux 2.0, Netscape-Linux 5.0