Help: occasional freeze on ethercard probe, partition check errors

Help: occasional freeze on ethercard probe, partition check errors

Post by Woodha » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Sorry this is on comp.os.linux.misc rather than c.o.l.help, but for
some reason, the local news software doesn't think c.o.l.help exists.

I have just upgraded to Slackware 3.0, and there are a couple of minor
problems when booting. Firstly, the system sometimes freezes on the
ethercard probe (about 10% of the time.) The "CSLIP" message gets
printed at the console, and nothing more happens. Ctrl-alt-delete does
not work, but the reset button does. (See below for sample messages
while booting.)

Secondly, the partition check gives a bunch of error messages every
time (see below) although this does not seem to cause any further
problem.

Booting of floppy (the Slackware idenet boot disk) seems to freeze
much more often on the ethercard probe (30% of time?) but does not
give the partition check errors.

The following may or may not be relevant. I believe I had LILO booting
off the MBR before the upgrade. When I upgraded, I decided to try
putting LILO on the partition instead, but this caused strange errors
("init: can't map '/dev/zero'" and "init: can't load library
'libc.so.5'") and would not boot, so I went back to using the MBR and
things went fine. (Even if this is irrelevant, I am curious to know
why this was happening. This caused me about a day of frustration.)

Can I alter my LILO config to sent the ethercard probe directly to my
card to avoid the occasional hangs? Should I worry about the partition
error messages, and is there an easy way to avoid them?

Thank you,

Michael W.

Extract from console messages during boot follows

[...]
hda: ST3290A, 249MB w/32KB Cache, CHS=1001/15/34, MaxMult=8
ide0: primary interface on irq 14
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a 8272A
Memory: 6868k/8448k available (760k kernel code, 384k reserved, 436k data)
This processor honours the WP bit even when in supervisor mode. Good.
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.019
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.019
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
PPP: version 0.2.7 (4 channels) NEW_TTY_DRIVERS OPTIMIZE_FLAGS
TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP line discipline registered.
SLIP: version 0.8.3-NET3.019-NEWTTY (4 channels) (6 bit encapsulation enabled)
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300: 00 00 e8 c1 43 a6
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ 10.

Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.

Partition check:
hda: DRDY error: status=0x01 { Error }
hda: DRDY error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: DRDY error: status=0x01 { Error }
hda: DRDY error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: DRDY error: status=0x01 { Error }
hda: DRDY error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: DRDY error: status=0x01 { Error }
hda: DRDY error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide0: do_ide_reset: success
  hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 > hda3 hda4
[...]

1. Partition check order in fs/partition/check.c?

Hi,

I've got a few questions regarding partition checks in fs/partition/*.c of
both Linux 2.4 and 2.5:

I ran into a situation in which an MSDOS partition table was incorrectly
interpreted as an ACORN POWERTEC partition table, resulting in no valid
partition being found. When I looked at fs/partition/acorn.c I noticed that
the powertec partition check is kept fairly generic (adding bytes 1..511 of
the MBR plus an offset and comparing the result with byte 512). In addition
to this, the acorn-specific set of partition checks comes first in the list
in fs/partition/check.c so that statistically, every one in 256 MSDOS
partition tables (they got a fixed pattern at bytes 511 and 512) would be
incorrectly identified as POWERTEC.

Now for the actual questions: what is the reason for the order of partition
checks as it is? Couldn't the acorn tests be moved further down in the list
to solve this particular problem? Also, is there a way to make the acorn test
more specific?

A workaround for this problem would of course be to deselect the
CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION_POWERTEC option, but that wouldn't work in cases both
acorn and msdos partition tables are used.

Thanks in advance for any kind of insight into this matter.

Regards,
  Peter Oberparleiter
-

2. __bouneself in Solaris threads/pthreads???

3. bad partition table error during Partition Check

4. Setup Quota

5. netatalk and printing

6. Some error checking on kmalloc()'s in ide-probe.c

7. GCC2.7.0, G77, ELF & filesizes?

8. RH 5.2 Install Freezes during Partition Checking

9. Mandrake 8.2 (Kernel 2.4.18) -- Partition check freeze

10. Compaq Presario 1500 : "Partition Check" freeze on startup

11. kernel freezes at partition check

12. Boot freezes after Partition Check