How can i find the MacAddress of a network adapter

How can i find the MacAddress of a network adapter

Post by Chris Wise aka PopinFres » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 07:56:15

hello

how can i find the mac addy of a network adapter in linux i need to do this
so i can register it with my cable account, in the very worst case my plan
is to take out the card and put it in my windows machine then write down the
mac addy and stick it back into my linux machine.

Thanks for any help i recieve

Chris

How can i find the MacAddress of a network adapter

Post by John W. Krah » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:16:50

Quote:

> hello

> how can i find the mac addy of a network adapter in linux i need to do this
> so i can register it with my cable account, in the very worst case my plan
> is to take out the card and put it in my windows machine then write down the
> mac addy and stick it back into my linux machine.

ifconfig eth0
Will display the details (including mac address) of the first ethernet
card.

John
--
use Perl;
program

How can i find the MacAddress of a network adapter

Post by John Bla » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:17:46

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:56:15 GMT, Chris Wise  aka PopinFresh

>hello

>how can i find the mac addy of a network adapter in linux i need to do this
>so i can register it with my cable account, in the very worst case my plan
>is to take out the card and put it in my windows machine then write down the
>mac addy and stick it back into my linux machine.

ifconfig eth0

or whichever device it is (or just -a to list them all).

It is listed as the HWaddr.

Frink

Post by b » Mon, 30 Jul 2001 02:54:59

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:56:15 GMT, "Chris Wise  aka PopinFresh"

>hello

>how can i find the mac addy of a network adapter in linux i need to do this
>so i can register it with my cable account, in the very worst case my plan
>is to take out the card and put it in my windows machine then write down the
>mac addy and stick it back into my linux machine.

>Thanks for any help i recieve

>Chris

Hi chris,

I thin, not sure ifconfig will show you the result.
(numbers after HWaddr)

Good luck.
Bart

1. Dnet driver (x86) can't find SMC 8432 PCI network adapter, why?

No device file in /devices/* is created. Sun phone support said no file
would be created but of course, ifconfig fails to plumb the interface
(dnet0) because there is no device found. I assume no device file is being
created because the dnet driver is unable to find the card when probing
the addresses listed in the dnet.conf. The default configuration looks at
every 8th address from 0x00 to 0x1F8. Is that far enough?

SMC's ezstart utility has no problem finding the card and reporting that
it is in slot 16 and using interrupt 9.

Also, what does the line intr=1 mean for this driver?

Thanks in advance. If I do somehow manage to get an answer from SUN I will
report it in a followup.

Harry Cline
Wheeling IL, USA

2. Problem with Linux printing

3. Finding the operating speed of a network adapter

4. lagging BIOS

5. Debian setup to Jensen - network adapter not found

6. Xtops.DE: More Linux Laptops Available

7. Network adapter compatability HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

8. Redhat 5.2 Hard Drive Install probs.

9. ftp boot but network adapter not in Network expanded driver list?

10. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

11. Binding 2 network adapters to achieve better network performance

12. Free SCO network driver for NE/2-32 MCA network adapter

13. Does AIX support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a single network interface using single IP