How to make sendmail accept mail for whole domain?

How to make sendmail accept mail for whole domain?

Post by Michael Api » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm runnung a firewall that is placed before the domain, lets say xyz.com
The firewall is named gateway and there's also an MX-entry for xyz.com
which directs mail to gateway.xyz.com .

The problem is, that gateway doesn't seem to accept mail that is directed to

Any ideas?
Thank you for your help!

Bye,
Michael
--

Snail-Mail: Boecklerweg 22, 81825 Muenchen
Homepage:   http://www.mgm.baynet.de/~micha/

Since I removed all GATES out of my computer, it finally works!

Post by Martin Reill » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I'm runnung a firewall that is placed before the domain, lets say xyz.com
> The firewall is named gateway and there's also an MX-entry for xyz.com
> which directs mail to gateway.xyz.com .

> The problem is, that gateway doesn't seem to accept mail that is directed to

You probably need an 'M' line (for Masquerade) in your sendmail config
file (assuming that's what you're using).

Alternatively, why not put a rule on the firewall to allow incoming SMTP traffic
(only) through to the 'proper' mail host? Is there a good reason you want to
have it relayed by the firewall?

--

Martin Reilly

Post by Michael Api » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>You probably need an 'M' line (for Masquerade) in your sendmail config
>file (assuming that's what you're using).

Thanks for your annotation. I already solved the problem as I added "xyz.com"
to the line Cwlocalhost in sendmail.cf.

Quote:>Alternatively, why not put a rule on the firewall to allow incoming SMTP traffic
>(only) through to the 'proper' mail host? Is there a good reason you want to
>have it relayed by the firewall?

You're right. Setting up sendmail on the bastion host was only considered as
a test run. I plan to use a sendmail wrapper that "chroot"s any
incoming mail into a subdir. Sendmail shall then be used to forward this
mail to the internal mail host.

BTW: In the sendmail docs I found the expression "relay host". May I
assume that this is the same as our internal mail host?
Thanks for any advice.

Michael
--

Post by Guilherme Carvalho Cheha » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > I'm runnung a firewall that is placed before the domain, lets say xyz.com
> > The firewall is named gateway and there's also an MX-entry for xyz.com
> > which directs mail to gateway.xyz.com .

> > The problem is, that gateway doesn't seem to accept mail that is directed to

If you want the gateway to receive the email (not relay this email to the
secure network!) you need a additional "cw" entry in your sendmail.cf,
this is done to tell sendmail whose mail domains it really is. If you want
to relay mail, I suggest that you use the mailertable feature, where you
can map domains inside the secure network and the machines responsible
for them, in this case give a look in the file cf/README in the sendmail
source tree.

I strongly suggest that if you feel need to hack the sendmail config files
use the m4 macro compiler (as described in cf/README). Give a lot of work
until you get a good m4 generated config, but once you get used to it, you
will see that dealing with the m4 is much simpler than with sendmail.cf...

Quote:> You probably need an 'M' line (for Masquerade) in your sendmail config
> file (assuming that's what you're using).

I think masquerade is only for outgoing mail, no?

Quote:> Alternatively, why not put a rule on the firewall to allow incoming SMTP traffic
> (only) through to the 'proper' mail host? Is there a good reason you want to
> have it relayed by the firewall?

Because you would open a door for mail bombs right through your secure
network! The safer option is to get mail processing in the fw machine, and
if possible doing it safely (receiving mail on a chrooted dir, for
instance) the TIS toolkit has a very good solution for safer mail
receiving, and as much as I know, it is, under certain license conditions,
freely usable.

1. virtusertable: accept mails for the whole domain

I am trying to set up a OpenBSD server as a mailhub.

The box has name mailhub.zoong.com
I want it accepts all mails for zoong.com domain and send to the
mail boxes of same username at mailhub.zoong.com.

I added FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash /etc/mail/inmap') to mc file.
Compiled the mc file with m4, copied the output to sendmail.cf, kill -HUP
the sendmail pid.

It doesn't work:

1) With MX of zoong.com points to mailhub.zoong.com, I got this
message:
Jan  2 13:21:15 mailhub sm-mta[19319]: h022KMj0026624: SYSERR(root): MX list for zoong.com. points back to mailhub.zoong.com

2) Without MX of zoong.com, I got this message:

zoong.com: no data known)

In either cases, user phamd doesn't receive any mails.

The OS is OpenBSD 3.2.
Sendmail version 8.12.6

Can someone tell me what's wrong here.

TIA,
--
Zoong PHAM                 UNIX Systems Administrator
Mercy Health and Aged Care Inc. Melbourne - Australia

PGP public key is available on request

2. problems with sendmail...

3. Setup sendmail to accept mails for user@domain

4. replace whitespace characters with spaces?

5. HELP! Sendmail accept mail from multiple domains???

6. Mouse Trouble...

7. New Domain does not accept OLD domain name mail

8. ftp into pipe?

9. sendmail mail server does not accept sending mail from remote clients

10. Sendmail and header rewriting joe@mail.domain.com to joe@domain.com

11. sendmail : cannot receive mail from some domains (mail server timeout)

12. Mail for whole domain in a single account

13. Sendmail: mails rejected with "550-unrouteable mail domain "blade150.lafr.de""