shell-init problems

Post by Steven Blai » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Whatever help I can get is greatly appreciated.

My system is a default server install of Red Hat 5.2 on a 133 Pentium,
128 MB RAM, 4 GB SCSI HD and dual homed for masquerading.

The system has been running well for several months until I installed a
new version of lib.so.1 by RPM. Whether this was the causal event, I
don't know, but the problem occurred immediately after.

Shell scripts would not execute, complaining that they could not get the
current directory. I decided to bring the system down and reboot. When
it got to the point in boot where it executed init, the next lines were:

shell-init: could not get current directory
job-working-directory: could not get current directory

This was repeated a number of times during the balance of the boot. My
masquerading and filtering, as well as executing the rrlogin program for
RoadRunner, is located in the rc.local file. These seemed to work
correctly and I logged into RoadRunner.

When the boot prompt came up, I attempted to log in (root or user, same
result) and was presented with:

shell-init: could not get current directory
job-working-directory: could not get current directory
job-working-directory: could not get current directory
job-working-directory: could not get current directory
job-working-directory: could not get current directory
job-working-directory: could not get current directory

It then simply returned me to the login.

What is working is:
IP masquerading/filtering
ftp (in)

What is not working:
samba
telnet (in, can't login)
anything associated with a shell script

I can login in single user mode and use emacs (but not vi) and get to
all partitions. Except for the inability to execute shell scripts, the
system seems intact. I can see nothing unusual about any init script
that I have examined.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

shell-init problems

Post by Stefan David » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

    Steven> Whatever help I can get is greatly appreciated.  My system
    Steven> is a default server install of Red Hat 5.2 on a 133
    Steven> Pentium, 128 MB RAM, 4 GB SCSI HD and dual homed for
    Steven> masquerading.

    Steven> The system has been running well for several months until
    Steven> I installed a new version of lib.so.1 by RPM. Whether this
    Steven> was the causal event, I don't know, but the problem
    Steven> occurred immediately after.

What do you mean by lib.so.1? This could be sort of crucial if it's an
important system library.

If I were you I'd back this `upgrade' out straight away; the fact that
this problem started immediately after installing it strongly suggests
it screwed something up badly. Was it an official Redhat RPM or a
contrib RPM?

Stefan

1. Apache 1.3.0 and CGI shell-init problems

Howdy folks.

Running Apache/1.3.0 (Unix) on Linux 2.0.33

I've tried running as user 'www' and 'nobody'.  Both these users are
members of group 'users' and that has been specified in httpd.conf using
group.

When the server tries running CGI scripts it doesn't seem to find the
home directory of the user running the web server properly.  Previously
I was getting 'shell-init: could not get current directory' but since
altered various privileges to eliminate this message appearing in the
logs.

My problem is basically that I am running PGP to send myself an
encrypted email from a CGI script (in shell) I have created.  When it
tries to find the public keyring, the randomseed file etc etc it can't
find it (since these are in the home directory of the user www).  I know
the script is running as www because I had it do a whoami during
execution.

Does anyone have any idea why it doesn't find my home directory?  (If I
run the script in a shell as user 'www' it executes fine).

If anyone can shed some light I'd be most grateful.  Maybe you could cc
a copy of your response to me (removing the nospam. from my email
address).

2. function to get the ip address of host??

3. shell-init problems with Bash

4. Speedstar 24X is blurry

5. login shell-init permission problem

6. Bug in UltraSPARC XIL libraries?

7. printing problem - shell-init:

8. bridging . How to ??

9. shell-init: Permission denied problems

10. shell-init: could not get current directory...

11. shell-init: could not get current directory:

12. shell-init permission denied

13. KDE Beta 3 on RH 5.0 : shell-init failure on getwd, crippled desktop, hang or crash...