help: killed win95 partition with lilo

Post by armin krat » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

hi,

i hope someone can help me out of this ...

i tried to install linux on a friends machine, and killed his beloved win95
installation. and that was quite easy:

for some reason the first line of lilo.conf was

boot = /dev/hda1 instead of boot = /dev/hda

after running lilo all that appears at bootup is LI

hda1 was the only (primary) partition on hda and hda1 _WAS_ the win95
partition. i am able to start up linux (which is on the second disk) via rescue disk,
but fdisk shows not much usefull  information for hda. dos fdisk crashes at
startup. obviously i've killed some important bytes.

is there anything i can do to restore the partition? or how can i at least
restore some data.

any help appreciated.

tia, armin

help: killed win95 partition with lilo

Post by Wayne Huan » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Let me give a try for this.

Two things to do:
    1. Restore Win95 to bootup correctly.
    2. Reconfigure and reinstall LILO to /dev/hda.

Step 1:
    - Assuming the orignal MBR is not over written. If it does,
      use FDISK /MBR to reset MBR so it boots to C:\ as usual.
      FDISK is the DOS or Win95 utility.
    - Boot from a Win95 bootable floppy which contains SYS.COM.
      You can copy SYS.COM from a working machine or from
      C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND directory (you should be able to
      see it when you boot from floppy. If you can't, you are in big
      trouble).
    - At A:> prompt, run:  SYS C:
      This would allow you to boot to C:>.

      The following steps allow you to bring Win95 GUI up. (These
      instructions are copied from www.v-com.com web site.  Note:
      V Communications is the maker of Partition Magic).
    - From the C:> prompt, do:
            ATTRIB C:\MSDOS.SYS -R -H -S
    - Edit MSDOS.SYS file, it should appear as follows, if not you
      have to retype it:
        [paths]
        WinDir=C:\Windows
        WinBootDir=C:\Windows
        HostWinBootDrv=c
        [options]
        BootMulti=1
        BootGUI=1

      Save and exit the editor.
    - Rehide the file: ATTRIB C:\MSDOS.SYS +R +H +S
    - Reboot and Win95 should come up.

Step 2: (You should refer to LILO-HOWTO for
    - Boot from the Linux rescue disk.
    - Modify /etc/lilo.conf, so it says
        boot=/dev/hda
      instead of boot=/dev/hda1
    - Reinstall Lilo: /sbin/lilo
    - Reboot.

Please give it a try.
And goodluck!

Wayne Huang
Rocheter, NY

>hi,

>i hope someone can help me out of this ...

>i tried to install linux on a friends machine, and killed his beloved win95
>installation. and that was quite easy:

>for some reason the first line of lilo.conf was

>boot = /dev/hda1 instead of boot = /dev/hda

>after running lilo all that appears at bootup is LI

>hda1 was the only (primary) partition on hda and hda1 _WAS_ the win95
>partition. i am able to start up linux (which is on the second disk) via
rescue disk,
>but fdisk shows not much usefull  information for hda. dos fdisk crashes at
>startup. obviously i've killed some important bytes.

>is there anything i can do to restore the partition? or how can i at least
>restore some data.

>any help appreciated.

>tia, armin

----

----

1. win95 killed lilo on scsi drive. Please help!

Well, I just recently got win95 going, after about 8 hours of hardware
problems.  I decided to do a few things in linux, so I tried booting, and
NOPE!

Details:

I'm using 1.3.14 and have a 2940W w/st15150W.  Everything works perfectly
till after installing win95.

I use bootmanager from OS2/Warp.  I have my msdos/win95 and linux
partitions on the bootmanager list.

After installing win95 I successfully reactivated bootmanager.

Linux comes up with the first line(something like 'Lilo Loading vmlinuz').

Usually some '....' appear after that and it decompresses it into memory,
but it stops there.  Just a hang, not a halt.  I can reboot and numlock
goes on/off.

I tried using my bootdisk that I made, it goes fine until after
partitions check when it tries to mount root:

<....(partitions>
< more parts >
< more>
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 0, check=n,conv=n,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,bmap]
[me=0x0, cs=0,#f=0,fs=0,f1=0,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,ts=0,ls=0]
Transaction block size 512k
HPFS: hpfs_read_super: Not HPFS

---

This is the message is gives.

I have the slackware setup disks from ftp.infomagic.com and can at least
access my scsi drive.  I can mount all my drives successfully and a
e2fsck on them yield an 'ok.'  I edited my fstab to just be the root
parition, no go.

I tried to install lilo again on that device(/dev/sda6--my root): ran
liloconfig and asked for new setup, did all that, it didn't complain, but
didn't change anything from what I already said.

-
Of course I'm thinking about just copying that stuff over and then
reinstalling a base ai1 ai2 from ftp.infomagic.com...But I think I'm just
doing something wrong.

Thanks!
Jonathan
--

--------------------------
Why does everyone put stupid stuff like encryption PGP's and such down here?

2. DIVA 2.0 ISDN Terminal Adapter Under Linux?

3. Help : win95 killed LILO

4. Linux and PCI......?

5. Installed LILO to Win95 Partition -> help me !

6. Very strange problems with files.

7. Win95 killed my LILO!

8. Can't run admintool from my PC

9. reinstalling win95 killed my lilo boot stuff?!?!

10. Win95 killed lilo

11. Win95 killed my LILO

12. UMSDOS killed win95 partition

13. Killed DOS-Partition with LILO