Help with pcmcia cd-rom on thinkpad

Post by Steve Hultquis » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I'm currently trying to install slakware 3.0 from pcmcia card based
> cd-rom (produced by panasonic.)
> My target computer is IBM thinkpad 701c.

> What kind of boot/root disk set should I select?
> And if necessary, what parameters should I write to the boot:
> prompt?

Just use the pcmcia kernel and you'll be all set. Linux will auto-detect it,
and it runs just fine!

ssh

Help with pcmcia cd-rom on thinkpad

Post by Kwon Heejeon » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hello.
I'm currently trying to install slakware 3.0 from pcmcia card based
cd-rom (produced by panasonic.)
My target computer is IBM thinkpad 701c.

What kind of boot/root disk set should I select?
And if necessary, what parameters should I write to the boot:
prompt?

Thanks for your kind advises...

Help with pcmcia cd-rom on thinkpad

Post by Kwon Heejeon » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Just use the pcmcia kernel and you'll be all set. Linux will auto-detect it,
> and it runs just fine!

> ssh

Thanks for your reply.
For your information, I'm trying to install linux 3.0 from the
first step....
And what do you mean by pcmcia kernel?
I found pcmcia root image disk in the /rootdsks directory..
If you mean this, please inform me what kind of /bootdsks file
should I select...
I tried ascsi, scsinet1, net,... until now...
I'm currently wondering if some kind of parameters are needed at
boot: prompt...

Thanks.

Post by David Hin » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: I'm currently trying to install slakware 3.0 from pcmcia card based
: cd-rom (produced by panasonic.)
: My target computer is IBM thinkpad 701c.

: What kind of boot/root disk set should I select?

As far as I know, Slackware doesn't support installation from PCMCIA
SCSI adapters.

        -- Dave Hinds

1. Problem with IBM Thinkpad 560 and Raven PCMCIA CD-ROM

Hi,

I have installed Slackware 3.3 with kernel 2.0.30 on an IBM Thinkpad
560. It contains 2 PCMCIA cards, slot 0 has a Megahertz
ethernet/faxmodem card and slot 1 contains a RAVEN CDNOTE 4X PCMCIA SCSI
card. When I boot from the diskette using pcmcia.gz image, the cd rom is
detected and I was able to install Linux from the CD. After rebooting, I
get no response from SCSI controller 0, drive 0..and my system hangs.
The CD is set to Address 5, even when changing to address 0 it doesn't
help. If I reboot from the diskette and mount my hard drive, then remove
the /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia file, reboot then I do not get the error.
Obviously I no longer have PCMCIA support!
What is the bare.i, pcmcia.gz images on the diskette doing differently
than the installed kernel?

The I/O address of the card is 230 with IRQ 10. Windows 95 sees this as
a RAVEN KXLC002 pcmcia card and linux sees it as a Qlogic card.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rob

2. ppp with isdn

3. PCMCIA cd-rom on Thinkpad

4. Booting to X windows

5. Q: Linux on Thinkpad 701C (PCMCIA CD-ROM)

6. Compiling linux kernel ver 2.1.81

7. Installing Linux on a notebook - PCMCIA/CD-ROM or PCMCIA/NE2000 card?

8. sun->solaris faq?

9. Help: Install from Ibm Thinkpad 755CD CD-ROM?

10. HELP: Panasonic KXL-D720 SCSI PCMCIA CD-ROM

11. HELP: Problem installing Redhat 4.1 using PCMCIA cd-rom drive

12. Install help: Crusoe laptop with only a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive?