Logitec Middle Button

Post by Don Mahuri » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Ive seen a recurring problem with Logtech MouseMan mice.

On some machines, when pressing and holding the middle button, the
signal that Xwindows/fvwm gets is an on,off,on,off signal.

When I hold it and move(like for a fvwm menu), its like am letting go of
the button when moving.

Has anyone had this, and know a solution?

Note, it works fine on mine.  But not on other peoples faster PCs.

Don Mahurin

Logitec Middle Button

Post by Jeff De » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Ive seen a recurring problem with Logtech MouseMan mice.

: On some machines, when pressing and holding the middle button, the
: signal that Xwindows/fvwm gets is an on,off,on,off signal.

: When I hold it and move(like for a fvwm menu), its like am letting go of
: the button when moving.

: Has anyone had this, and know a solution?

I've seen exactly the same problem.  My guess is that it's a XF86 bug.
I've experienced this with some frequency on my 486-66 since I first
installed Slackware in April, 94.

I've never found a solution.

--
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's
supposed to do.

Logitec Middle Button

Post by Ken Gaugl » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>: Ive seen a recurring problem with Logtech MouseMan mice.
>: On some machines, when pressing and holding the middle button, the
>: signal that Xwindows/fvwm gets is an on,off,on,off signal.
>: When I hold it and move(like for a fvwm menu), its like am letting go of
>: the button when moving.
>: Has anyone had this, and know a solution?
>I've seen exactly the same problem.  My guess is that it's a XF86 bug.
>I've experienced this with some frequency on my 486-66 since I first
>installed Slackware in April, 94.
>I've never found a solution.
>--
>Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's
>supposed to do.
>            -- R. A. Heinlein

If you have a 3-button mouse, be sure not to have "emulate 3-button"
enabled; this tends to mess up things nicely.
---
Ken Gaugler  Hybrid Networks, Inc.  Cupertino, Calif.

"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."

Logitec Middle Button

Post by Jeff De » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>>: Ive seen a recurring problem with Logtech MouseMan mice.

>>: On some machines, when pressing and holding the middle button, the
>>: signal that Xwindows/fvwm gets is an on,off,on,off signal.

>>I've seen exactly the same problem.  My guess is that it's a XF86 bug.

>If you have a 3-button mouse, be sure not to have "emulate 3-button"
>enabled; this tends to mess up things nicely.

I can see how it would, but that doesn't seem to relate to the problem.
I think the problem is more likely related to the ``ChordMiddle'' option.

The mouse doesn't seem to send an actual middle button signal, but rather
sends left+right simultaneously.  With this option turned off, the middle
mouse button does nothing, with it turned on, the middle mouse button
acts like it is supposed to for a while, then it starts sending these
multiple press/release signals as long as the button is pressed.

Nothing seems to reset it except for dropping the X server, but doing
a manual chord (pressing left and right buttons simultaneously) seems
to generate a single middle button event.

At first guess, I'd say it was a bug in the SVGA server.

Logitec Middle Button

Post by Jan Willem Hartm » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Ive seen a recurring problem with Logtech MouseMan mice.
>On some machines, when pressing and holding the middle button, the
>signal that Xwindows/fvwm gets is an on,off,on,off signal.
>When I hold it and move(like for a fvwm menu), its like am letting go of
>the button when moving.
>Has anyone had this, and know a solution?

There is an option of soemthing resembling 'enable chordmiddle' in
your XF86config file. DISable it, strangely enough.

Jan Willem

Logitec Middle Button

Post by Jeff De » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>>Ive seen a recurring problem with Logtech MouseMan mice.

>There is an option of soemthing resembling 'enable chordmiddle' in
>your XF86config file. DISable it, strangely enough.

Without chordmiddle, the middle mouse button generates left-button events.
So which is worse, having a middle button that often doesn't work, or
having a middle button that never works?

Logitec Middle Button

Post by Geoff Sho » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Point your web browser at the 3 button mouse mini-HOWTO at
: <http://kipper.york.ac.uk/mouse.html>.

... or failing that, get a copy from your local sunsite mirror.
(kipper died with harddrive failure when everyone was on holiday,
 normal service will be resumed shortly)

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

Logitec Middle Button

Post by mick » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>:Ive seen a recurring problem with Logtech MouseMan mice.
>:
>:On some machines, when pressing and holding the middle button, the
>:signal that Xwindows/fvwm gets is an on,off,on,off signal.
>:
>:When I hold it and move(like for a fvwm menu), its like am letting go of
>:the button when moving.

I have a simular problem (Accel-X/AfterStep), which happens *sometimes* when
I enter X-Windows.  I have discovered by accident that I could
fix the problem by unplugging and plugging back in the Mouseman.  A bit
annoying, but I guess it could be worse....
--

% Sys. Administrator % Nanospace Internet Access % 415-833-8001 Fax %

Logitec Middle Button

Post by Biswajit Sa » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

For me disabling "chordmiddle" works exactly as Jan suggested.
It does not generate left button signals!
I too have a Logitech 3-*events.

-Sain