Using Linux for user authentication

Post by Mike Jagdi » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

RB> > Does anyone know if it's possible to have a Linux (or any Unix for that
RB> > matter) server be used for user authentication when users log in?  It
RB> > would seem like a waste to have my NT server being used for this and
RB> > only this.

RB> When they log into what?  Unix has password verification
RB> when users log
RB> into it.  You can attach a modem and verify users through
RB> that.

I presume from the NT reference that he meant logging in on a '95 PC. Easy.
Just install samba on the Linux (or most other Unix) box and configure it as
a domain master as in the DOMAIN.txt. Configure the PC to run LanMan over
TCP/IP and to do a network login to an NT domain instead of a local Windows
login.

                                Mike

1. Using Linux for user authentication

When they log into what?  Unix has password verification when users log
into it.  You can attach a modem and verify users through that.  I'm using
a Linux box as a tacacs server so when people log into one of my routers
it queries the tacacs server for validity and logs the transaction.
I'm also using a different tacacs server running under linux so when
people dial into my cisco 5100 it authenticates by querying the linux
machine.  What are you doing and maybe I can be more specific.

Roger

Lazlo's Chinese Relativity Axiom:
        No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats --
        approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.

Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited
love.
                -- Charlie Brown

2. Internet Speed

3. NT users authentication using linux pswd file.

4. Server not responding

5. Wireless User Authentication using Linux?

6. Netscape 4.51 question

7. User authentication using Sybase, and implementing a 3 try lockout

8. linux booting help (SLS)!

9. apache user authentication using /etc/passwd file ?

10. Using User Authentication

11. Secure user authentication for NFS using RPCSEC_GSS [4/6]

12. User authentication using cookies. How??

13. User authentication using Oracle