Can I run executables compiled under Redhat 8 on a Redhat 7.3 system

Can I run executables compiled under Redhat 8 on a Redhat 7.3 system

Post by Joe Hil » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:57:33

We are running RH7.3 at my company.  Another component of the company
would like to give us some CFD program executables compiled under
Redhat 8.  Will this work with the different GLIBC??  Would linking
statically make this work.  Any help would be appreciated.

BB
The Boeing Company

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:14:20

> We are running RH7.3 at my company.  Another component of the company
> would like to give us some CFD program executables compiled under
> Redhat 8.  Will this work with the different GLIBC??  Would linking

It probably will not work (conmpletely, at least - I forget what the
glibc in 7.3 is, but I think it is a different major). But you can
always take the libraries too and link to them privately.

If the code is c++, that would be required, since c++ binaires
are library /and/ compiler dependent, and you will need the c++
libraries for that compiler.

Quote:> statically make this work.  Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, static would be OK. But that's the same as taking the
libraries across too and linking them privately. Well, it
is a smaller transfer, but not as useful.

Peter

Post by Markku Kolkk » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:02:45

> We are running RH7.3 at my company.  Another component of the company
> would like to give us some CFD program executables compiled under
> Redhat 8.

RHL8 comes with RHL7.3 compatibility packages, the program should be
compiled and linked using those.

--
        Markku Kolkka

1. [Fwd: Redhat 5.1 BASH compiles, but EXECUTABLEs don't run?]

--
end
"who's got seg-men-ted eyes?"

BEST PLACE TO START:
http://www.whatis.com

Tired of Windoh!s?, try Linux:
http://www.cheapbytes.com

Wanna tweak that USR modem?
http://www.usr.com/home/online/manuals/5000217.htm

TO MAKE A NEW BOOT DISK WITH CD ROM DRIVERS:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/6446/freshstart.html

[ Attached Message ]

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 01:26:44 -0500
Subject: Redhat 5.1 BASH compiles, but EXECUTABLEs don't run?
Yes, I even went down to "Hello World" and couldn't get it to run.
The progs seem to compile fine.
I am invoking the gcc compiler like this:
gcc -o myprog myprog.c
And get an error on the command line when I try to run the executable
about "invalid command" or something (it's been a few days now since I
last ran a program in Linux)
Can anyone tell me what is going on here?
For the time being, I am back on SUNOS at my University.

--
end
"who's got seg-men-ted eyes?"

BEST PLACE TO START:
http://www.whatis.com

Tired of Windoh!s?, try Linux:
http://www.cheapbytes.com

Wanna tweak that USR modem?
http://www.usr.com/home/online/manuals/5000217.htm

TO MAKE A NEW BOOT DISK WITH CD ROM DRIVERS:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/6446/freshstart.html

2. resize filesystem

3. Update from Redhat 7.0 to Redhat 7.3

4. Motif could not open display error

5. RedHat 7.3 vs RedHat 6.0 SCSI performance

6. gigcard problem

7. random lockups running redhat 7.3

8. WARNING: AHA-2940UW BIOS 1.32 INCOMPATIBLE

9. Please help: pivot_root, no init found panic when trying to run redhat 7.3

10. GUI not running at all in Redhat 7.3

11. getting VMware Workstation 2.0.x to run on RedHat 7.3

12. Newbie: Have RedHat 7.3 running, want D-Link DFE-630TX+ NIC to work too.

13. RedHat 7.3 (2.4.20) running on VMware - nfs issues