How to automatically get 80x34 screen size for bash?

How to automatically get 80x34 screen size for bash?

Post by Chr.. » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

(I'm using Slackware 3.5)
When I get the LILO prompt, instead of typing "Linux" I can type
"vga=ask" which gives me a sort of error message.  After I backspace
over it and type "Linux" , I then get a selection of modes.
I prefer to use 80x34.

How can I get this screen size to come up automatically without this
kludgey startup procedure?  I've tried putting vga=ask or vga=0F06 in
lilo.conf, but after entering "Linux" at the prompt I still get 80x25.

 Any suggestions?  Thanks.

How to automatically get 80x34 screen size for bash?

Post by Pascal Rigau » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have something like vga=5 in my lilo.conf and it works.
Seems you're not giving the right number.

Also, at lilo prompt, I think like "Linux vga=ask" should work.

Pixel.

Post by Steve Harv » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>(I'm using Slackware 3.5)
>When I get the LILO prompt, instead of typing "Linux" I can type
>"vga=ask" which gives me a sort of error message.  After I backspace
>over it and type "Linux" , I then get a selection of modes.
>I prefer to use 80x34.

>How can I get this screen size to come up automatically without this
>kludgey startup procedure?  I've tried putting vga=ask or vga=0F06 in
>lilo.conf, but after entering "Linux" at the prompt I still get 80x25.

You have to build this into the kernel to get it to come up
automatically; look for the SVGA_MODE line in the kernel Makefile.  I
can't remember the exact syntax, but I know it's easy to pre-set
either a specific vga mode, or else to set it to "ask" so it will give
you the selection of modes each time you boot.  I figured it out
pretty easily, but it's been a while, so I'm fuzzy on the details...

  -Steve

Post by the nice gu » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>(I'm using Slackware 3.5)
>When I get the LILO prompt, instead of typing "Linux" I can type
>"vga=ask" which gives me a sort of error message.  After I backspace
>over it and type "Linux" , I then get a selection of modes.
>I prefer to use 80x34.

>How can I get this screen size to come up automatically without this
>kludgey startup procedure?  I've tried putting vga=ask or vga=0F06 in
>lilo.conf, but after entering "Linux" at the prompt I still get 80x25.

> Any suggestions?  Thanks.

is this a hex value  i.e. 0xF06 ???

--
tng
when windows version 1.0 was released, a new joke was born