Syslog.conf and remote syslog entries

Post by Shawn Crosb » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to redirect messages received from a remote host via syslogd -r
into a specific file...ie something like:

I know this isn't the right way to do it.  Can syslogd do this kind of
redirect...if so, how?

Any help would be appreciated

Shawn Crosby

Post by Ben Russ » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to redirect messages received from a remote host via syslogd -r
> into a specific file...ie something like:

> I know this isn't the right way to do it.  Can syslogd do this kind of
> redirect...if so, how?

> Any help would be appreciated

> Shawn Crosby

syslog only works by facility and priority.

However you could set up your own listener process
that logs to a file (on the logging host) it could be tcp_wrapped.

and on the sending host you could configure syslogd
to write to a fifo that is listened to by your own sender
process that just sends to the logging host.

Just simple scripts would do it.

-Ben.

1. Tuning syslog/Syslog reporting/Syslog enhancement/replacements

Hello,

        I have been investigating using syslog's logging facilities. I have
currently set up our network to log to a central logging host. In my
preliminary attempts, I have set up syslog to dump everything to a single file,
which gets messy. I've sorted out the files now, and I have noticed that
certain applications such as telnetd and ftpd write to the LOG_MAIL facility.
Is there
a way to alter the logging facility that they report to, or will I have to have
modified binaries to handle this? I'm mostly concerned with our AIX machines
but we also have HPUX, Sunos/Solaris, and OSF. I could very well have it dump
all
information and sort out the data based on rules I develop using
sed/awk/perl/grep (whatever), But it would be nicer if it were done by
syslog/programs writing to syslog.

        Also, is anyone familiar with any other logging utilities? I would be grateful
for some help/advice or some pointers to where to find this information.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

2. Grepping lines from logfile reading date

3. syslog.conf/syslog

4. xhost+ question...

5. creating different syslog file /var/log/syslog.0 /var/log/syslog.1...

6. Need help on Dial-up networking in Lynix

7. SYSLOG and syslog.conf

8. Q : How to kill all my processes ?

9. syslog ignores syslog.conf?

10. Sending syslog messages to a remote syslog server

11. syslog.conf with strange entries?

12. remote-syslog entries from JetDirect

13. Syslog entries from remote hosts working?