StarDiv's StarOffice Freezes on Setup

Post by Jeffrey Dento » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

redhat 5.1 is missing a library that is needed to run star office.  goto
http://www.best.com/~aturner//RedHat-FAQ/faq_index.html  i can't remember
the name of the libray but the answer is here.

jeff, just another newbie

Quote:>   I'm trying to install Star Office under RedHat 5.1 without any

success.

Post by Bud Roger » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>   I'm trying to install Star Office under RedHat 5.1 without any success.
>   I've downloaded and uncompressed the program, but when I go to run setup it
> freezes on the very first screen before anything has appeared.  It freezes so
> much that I actually have to hard-reboot the machine.

A couple of things can cause that.

1.  Are you by chance running the S3V X server?  There is a known problem
with that server.  Later versions of the SVGA server will run an S3V card
fine, and run fine with SO5.  If you have to run the S3V server, there is a
patch on StarDivision's website.  Sorry I don't have the URL handy, but
it's not hard to find.

2.  SO5 is glibc based.  I don't know for sure, but I gather RH 5.1 is
libc5, yes?  The necessary libs are included on the SO5 cdrom.  There is a
script on the cdrom to install them in a non-destructive way, but it did
not work for me.  I think the bash script is corrupted on the cdrom.  There
are also instructions on how to install those libs manually.  It's pretty
simple.  I followed the instructions to the letter and it worked without
problems.

Quote:>   I've tried the install under the admin account as well as my normal user
> account with and both had the same effect.

Look at /cdrom/english/prod_lnx/README.  Get the glibc stuff installed
first and take care of the S3V issue if that's a problem.  Then if you have
multiple user accounts on your box, run the setup script as root with the
/net option.  Then for each user account that will be using SO5, run setup
again as that user and in their home directory.  That should get you
going.

--

have linux, will telnet