RealPlayer 5.0/G2 + Slackware 4.0

Post by William Par » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I downloaded both RealPlayer 5.0 and G2 to my Slackware 4.0 with
glibc-2.0.7 runtime support.  RP-5.0 seems to run without errors, but,
of course, I can't hear anything because I don't have sound card yet.

But, RP-G2 gives me "segmentation fault".  Why?

William

Post by Chris Sorenso » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I downloaded both RealPlayer 5.0 and G2 to my Slackware 4.0 with
> glibc-2.0.7 runtime support.  RP-5.0 seems to run without errors, but,
> of course, I can't hear anything because I don't have sound card yet.

Probably because the dynamic link libraries on the Linux box that they
used to compile the G2 binary are different from the library of the same
name on your Slackware box...

Post by p2.. » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I downloaded both RealPlayer 5.0 and G2 to my Slackware 4.0 with
> glibc-2.0.7 runtime support.  RP-5.0 seems to run without errors, but,
> of course, I can't hear anything because I don't have sound card yet.

> But, RP-G2 gives me "segmentation fault".  Why?

> William

G2 works without a glitch in Slack 7.

Post by Allen Won » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I downloaded both RealPlayer 5.0 and G2 to my Slackware 4.0 with
> glibc-2.0.7 runtime support.  RP-5.0 seems to run without errors, but,
> of course, I can't hear anything because I don't have sound card yet.

> But, RP-G2 gives me "segmentation fault".  Why?

Apparently, G2 needs the libstdc++.so library to be compiled with
glibc-2.0.7.  This was discussed in this newsgroup last year and someone
was kind enough to make it available on his ftp server.  The thread also
included the instructions to make G2 work with 4.0.  Do a search for
this at Deja.com.  If the libstdc++.so library is no longer available, I
can email it to you as a file attachment.

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

  3:00pm  up 51 days, 9 min,  1 user,  load average: 2.00, 2.00, 2.00

RealPlayer 5.0/G2 + Slackware 4.0

Post by Gerrit Hiddin » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> I downloaded both RealPlayer 5.0 and G2 to my Slackware 4.0 with
>> glibc-2.0.7 runtime support.  RP-5.0 seems to run without errors, but,
>> of course, I can't hear anything because I don't have sound card yet.

>> But, RP-G2 gives me "segmentation fault".  Why?
> Here's the fix. I mailed the RealPlayer guys for the problem and they
> pointed the URL to this library. It basically doesn't execute the code
> which causes the problem. Okay, I know I shouldn't post attachments to
> a newsgroup, but this thing is only 9K. The manual and source are also
> in it, so you can compile your own library or fiddle in the code :)

I downloaded this program from http://onramp.i2k.com/~jeffd/rpopen/
but G2 still crashes. The strace clearly shows that rpopen is loaded
before all other libraries are loaded. It crashes immediately after
/etc/localtime is loaded in _IO_sgetn (in fread) according to gdb.
Is this the "device write error" the aforementioned page talks about?

Is there any other know fix?

I have slackware x.x (can't remember what version) with all the glibc
stuff etcetera.

Grit

Post by Raydar » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Is this the "device write error" the aforementioned page talks about?

It's a fix for an audio device write error. Even for root.
After installing rpopen, you should start realplayer with:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib/realplayer5.0:/usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnulibc1"
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/local/lib/realplayer5.0/open.so" rvplayer

ofcourse in one line, but it doesn't fit in this post :)
Change the paths for your situation.
You may want to enter an alias for it in your .bashrc

alias
realplayer='LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib/realplayer5.0:/usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnulibc1"
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/local/lib/realplayer5.0/open.so" rvplayer'

Good luck,

       Boris.

RealPlayer 5.0/G2 + Slackware 4.0

Post by Al Ardueng » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have not had any such problems with slak7 and G2. I should look up the
source and see what I have. Maybe it is different than yours.

-Al

1. Realplayer 5.0/Redhat 4.0 problems...

Hi everbuddy!

Trying to upgrade realplayer 3.0, which works OK (but doesn't play some
more recent ra formats), to the latest realplayer 5.0. Followed all the
directions, the player comes up, but when I try to play a file, all I get is
static, and the mouse speed slows way down. I have a bit better luck with the
welcome.ra that comes with the install-- it plays audio/video but with alot of
static, and hesitation, though I can hear parts of it.

I've got an Ensonic 16 bit card, and as I say, ra 3.0 worked OK (though 3.0 goes
out of synch if I'm scrolling in the browser, for some reason).

Any ideas? It's nice to have music while you work!
thanks,
doug

2. can′t print!

3. realplayer 7 and slackware 4.0

4. Kernel space <-> User space

5. RealPlayer 5.0 wont work, Netscape 4.51, Slackware 4.0.0

6. Linux Institute Starts in NYC

7. realplayer g2 as plugin?

8. Changing the defenitions of pf keys ????

9. No sound for my Realplayer G2 on Redhat 6.0

10. RealPlayer G2 and WMP

11. RealPlayer G2

12. Realplayer G2

13. RealPlayer G2