Modem Not Working! help please..

Post by JASON FEINBE » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Sorry to post to this group if not the correct one, but it seems to be
the only one my server picks up.. anyhow..

I am running Slackware 3.0 (Linux 1.2.13), and i am trying to get my
modem to work properly with it... The prob is this.. I have it on Com7
(Com3 with an irq of 5) for Dos/Windows.... How can i get linux to
recognize it, etc? I cannot use dip, minicom, etc... nothing works... i
was told to type    ln -s /dev/cua6 /dev/modem    to assign cua6 (com7?)
to the modem device, which seems to do it, but the modem does nothing..
I have a gateway2000 486 DX2 , 50 mhz, 8 MB ram, and a Zoom 33.6 Internal
modem....
Any help would be greatly appreciated.. posted here or private email...
thank you in advance...

Jason Feinberg

Post by R R M Twe » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I am running Slackware 3.0 (Linux 1.2.13), and i am trying to get my
>modem to work properly with it... The prob is this.. I have it on Com7
>(Com3 with an irq of 5) for Dos/Windows.... How can i get linux to
>recognize it, etc? I cannot use dip, minicom, etc... nothing works... i
>was told to type    ln -s /dev/cua6 /dev/modem    to assign cua6 (com7?)
>to the modem device, which seems to do it, but the modem does nothing..

Don't think so...  Unless Slack 3.0 has major changes from Slack 2.x,
com7 is not com2-int5.

Here is the entry from my rc.serial for my Com3 which is on Irq9

moraga:~> grep "irq 9" /etc/rc.d/rc.serial
${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua2 uart 16450 port 0x3E8 irq 9

Although...  I use this port for my mouse, and at times, it acts
rather freaky, so IF somehow reassigning it to cua6/7 (whatever)
will fix the freakyness, please let me know... but as far as I
know, your entry should look like:

        ${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua2 uart 16450 port 0x3E8 irq 5
          [with the uart being whatever you have]

Quote:>I have a gateway2000 486 DX2 , 50 mhz, 8 MB ram, and a Zoom 33.6 Internal
>modem....

I have about the same, although double the memory and modems(cua0/1) and
will be moving the mouse to cua0 and the modems to cua1/2 on my slack3.0
configuration since DOS doesn't like a mouse on com3 with an irq other
than irq 4.

--

WWW: http://www.io.com/~tweek/       |         - Senator Ernest Hollings

Post by Perry Gri » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

|> Sorry to post to this group if not the correct one, but it seems to be
|> the only one my server picks up.. anyhow..
|>
|> I am running Slackware 3.0 (Linux 1.2.13), and i am trying to get my
|> modem to work properly with it... The prob is this.. I have it on Com7
|> (Com3 with an irq of 5) for Dos/Windows.... How can i get linux to
|> recognize it, etc? I cannot use dip, minicom, etc... nothing works... i
|> was told to type    ln -s /dev/cua6 /dev/modem    to assign cua6 (com7?)
|> to the modem device, which seems to do it, but the modem does nothing..
|> I have a gateway2000 486 DX2 , 50 mhz, 8 MB ram, and a Zoom 33.6 Internal
|> modem....
|>
|> Jason Feinberg

You modem is on COM3 (/dev/cua2).  Period.  See "man setserial"
to set your modem IRQ.

There are some serial boards out there that allow you to put
alot of UARTs in a PC.  But you probably don't have one?
If you have a PnP modem , you may need to upgrade to a 2.0.x
kernel and get isapnp tools.

--

Perry Grieb

Modem Not Working! help please..

Post by Ray Wald » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Sorry to post to this group if not the correct one, but it seems to be
>the only one my server picks up.. anyhow..

>I am running Slackware 3.0 (Linux 1.2.13), and i am trying to get my
>modem to work properly with it... The prob is this.. I have it on Com7
>(Com3 with an irq of 5) for Dos/Windows.... How can i get linux to
>recognize it, etc? I cannot use dip, minicom, etc... nothing works... i
>was told to type    ln -s /dev/cua6 /dev/modem    to assign cua6 (com7?)
>to the modem device, which seems to do it, but the modem does nothing..
>I have a gateway2000 486 DX2 , 50 mhz, 8 MB ram, and a Zoom 33.6 Internal
>modem....
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.. posted here or private email...
>thank you in advance...

>Jason Feinberg

Have a look at the setserial command. It allows you
to assign the irq and address to a specific /dev file.
If this works, then just put the setserial command
somewhere in your startup scripts.

Modem Not Working! help please..

Post by Duane Elmer Smecker » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I use to do technical support for a modem company that
practaically everryone knows ;)  But that was back then.

Anyway, I advocate the following configurations.

1) Mouse on cua1 IRQ3, Modem on cua2 IRQ4, NOTHING on cua0.
    this requires that you swap cua0 and cua1 ribbon
    cables inside the machine. not always possible.
2) Mouse on cua0 IRQ4, Modem on cua1 IRQ3, Disable Com2
   on the serial card.  This requires that you didn't lose
   the documents for the serial card. (Yeah, sure ;)

Ok!! And the solution I personally use:
3) Mouse on cua0 IRQ 4, Modem on cua2 IRQ5
   Sound card on IRQ7, and I don't know what this
   does to Jazz/Zip parallel drives on the printer port.  (Anyone?)

Duane Elmer Smeckert
Has NOTHING TO DO WITH Norcross. (Hi Brian B.)

Modem Not Working! help please..

Post by R R M Twe » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Anyway, I advocate the following configurations.

>2) Mouse on cua0 IRQ4, Modem on cua1 IRQ3, Disable Com2
>   on the serial card.  This requires that you didn't lose
>   the documents for the serial card. (Yeah, sure ;)

Believe it or not...  I still have the serial card booklet, but in
my forthcoming installation I won't need it, as my MB has two serial
ports (only com 1 and 2) and the modems are internals.  It's Interupts
that I'll be short on once I put in three coms, lpr, sound card (3,4,5,7,9)
and then try to add aything else.

Maybe I'll use my old 386dx MB (once I get a case) for the printer and
ethernet the two together... although that would mean I need to get hold
of a data booklet for the ethernet cards I have (PTC 1001S).

--

WWW: http://www.io.com/~tweek/       |         - Senator Ernest Hollings

Modem Not Working! help please..

Post by Geoff Alls » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Sorry to post to this group if not the correct one, but it seems to be
>the only one my server picks up.. anyhow..

>I am running Slackware 3.0 (Linux 1.2.13), and i am trying to get my
>modem to work properly with it... The prob is this.. I have it on Com7
>(Com3 with an irq of 5) for Dos/Windows.... How can i get linux to

        To start with, why don't you set it for a standard port & irq to see
if it works at all?  Then ask yourself why the strange setup in the first
place - don't make things harder on yourself!

Post by Evan Jeffr » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Ok!! And the solution I personally use:
: 3) Mouse on cua0 IRQ 4, Modem on cua2 IRQ5
:    Sound card on IRQ7, and I don't know what this
:    does to Jazz/Zip parallel drives on the printer port.  (Anyone?)

Ive got modem on IRQ7, sound card on IRQ 5, and my ZIP drive works fine.

===
Evan Jeffrey

Modem Not Working! help please..

Post by Evan Jeffr » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Believe it or not...  I still have the serial card booklet, but in
: my forthcoming installation I won't need it, as my MB has two serial
: ports (only com 1 and 2) and the modems are internals.  It's Interupts
: that I'll be short on once I put in three coms, lpr, sound card (3,4,5,7,9)
: and then try to add aything else.

I have never seen a printer that used the IRQ line, nor any other parallel
port device.  I have successfully shared both com ports and sound cards with
parallel ports and had no problems.  It still only frees one IRQ, but most
other cards can use high IRQs-- 10, 11, and 12 should all be open unless you
have other stuff.  Even so, that is enough for an ethernet card, a secondary
IDE, and a SCSI controller.  If you don't need 3 drive controller ;) you
will still have room for fancier cards.

Evan Jeffrey

1. beta driver did work for conexant dialup modem pci, now not anymore, please help!

I have a problem with a winmodem under Linux. :-(
Normaly it won't work, but I succeeded once to run it under
Linux, but now I don't know how I did it. Many new try-outs went to failure.

Please help me, guys!

Information:
- AMD Duron processor
- Linux Redhat 8.0
- Kernel 2.4.18-4
- KDE revision 3.00.00
- KPPP dialer version 2.1.1
- Beta modem drivers for conexant type hcfpcimodem
0.98mbsibeta02110300k2.4.18_14-1rh.athlon.rpm
- modemtype: winmodem brand sitecom, chipset conexant with rockwell chipset.
hcf 56k PCI (rev. 8) on IRQ 9, I/O poort on e800-e807(size=8) this under
configurationcenter under information! the hardware browser doesn't see the
modem!

Through netwerk device control I have installed the modem.
It makes a generic modem on device modem0. Under the tab hardware |edit
I cannot select modem0. Then my modem is not found. only tty devices. Use
touch tone dial is on.
flow control(crtscts). Under tab devices stands a modem on ppp0.
In edit on tab advanced i have selected "let ppp do all authentication" en
"make
this connection the default route" aan. Modemport is on Modem0.

If I click under tab devices on "activate" , I get the status "activating"
and this screen hangs. If I close this and click again on activate, then the
modem is activated.
I click on "connect", get a screen "search modem", then a modem is ready and
then I see "initialysing modem". On this point the modem hangs and I don't
get any connection.
My information about my provider etc. are correct. Please give me a
step-by-step plan for this. I would be very greatful!!! :-)

Please help!
If you need more information, please ask me! :-)

Again thanks for helping me out!!!

2. Status of masq and atalk in 1.3.x

3. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

4. Importance of the DOC project

5. Solaris 2.3 and HP Laserjet 4xxx

6. Q: Re: Q: Mitsumi Quad-Speed.

7. Please help me to get one of my many modems to work in Linux!!!

8. Please help me get my modem working

9. Please help me get my modem working!

10. Please Help Internal Modem won't work uner Red Hat 6.1

11. Help getting PCMCIA modem working please