utmp/wtmp: Why some, not others?

Post by Kendall Hunte » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:01:58

I've been using Linux for some time now, but I've never understood why
on some installs, an xterm will produce utmp/wtmp entries, while on
others, none. This applies specifically to two RedHat 6.1 installs, but
I've seen it happen with RH5.x & RH4.x too; I can't remember if
Slackware did it... too long ago. It seems to be independent of whether
or not the -ls option is passed to xterm.

What am I missing?

1. location of utmp wtmp in utmp.h

When building sysVinit using libc4.4 I found that 'last' was looking
for /etc/utmp and /usr/adm/wtmp.  I found that it was getting these
locations from /usr/include/utmp.h.  Why this strange inconsitency?

Is this a mistake?  Should utmp.h be changed to put both in /etc?

2. reducing linux partition

3. wtmp/utmp not registering login

4. New notebook! :)

5. Upgraded libraries - utmp and wtmp not found

6. Terminal Server - Any Sugges?

7. Why is xterm setuid root on some OSes but not others?

8. No Sound in KDE 2.1

9. Why am I not logged in wtmp?

10. NVdia, why is it not like others?

11. Why this code works on AIX, NeXT, BUT NOT OTHERS (SunOS, Ultrix) ?

12. Why does xterm not put in a utmp entry?

13. /etc/utmp not updated, why ?