help with printk

Post by Nils Wyga » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I need some help.......

I'm writing a device driver and  I can't see any of the debugging
printk's that are made from within the module code.  Printk is the kernel
equivalent to printf but it sends it's output to the console.  I've read
that when using printk's from within X  (i'm using RedHat 6.0 and Gnome)
 you won't see the output because ofX's use of "Virtual"
terminals......???
 I did a man on xterm and saw a -C option but this had no effect.
 It's suppose to redirect all Console output to the active "virtual"
terminal.
It also says that it's not guaranteed to work.   o-well....   this was the
case it seems.
 Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Nils

help with printk

Post by David Hallowel » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 >  Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions?
Try running xconsole, that displays all the console messages in an x
window. It should be included with all Linux distributions as it's a
standard part of the X window distribution.
--
RC5?-?don't?let?your?CPU?go?to?waste!
http://www.ukuug.org/rc5/

1. Help with printk

I nee some help.......

I'm writing a device driver and  I can't see any of the debugging
printk's that are made from within the module code.  Printk is the kernel
equivalent to printf but it sends it's output to the console.  I've read
that when using printk's from within X  (i'm using RedHat 6.0 and Gnome)
 you won't see the output because ofX's use of "Virtual" terminals......???
 I did a man on xterm and saw a -C option but this had no effect.
 It's suppose to redirect all Console output to the active "virtual" terminal.
It also says that it's not guaranteed to work.   o-well....   this was the case it seems.
 Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Nils

2. Reboot Problem with Pentium

3. help with printk

4. Tip Question

5. round robin dns

6. Help : Device Driver : Why I can't do printk from xxx_init !!

7. Help needed with printk and klogd

8. 2.5.45 [TRIVIAL]: Cosmetic ide-cd error message printk format

9. linux hangs with printk on schedule()

10. printk

11. Where is printk?