Problem with man on Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux

Post by -Fales,P. » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>...namely and to wit, it only works when I'm root.  If I
>try to use it from any other account, I get the message
>"Problem setting effective user id" and no output.
>From the output of "man -d" is appears that the problem
>is somewhere after the formatted output is copied to
>catman/whatever.  Curiously, if the catman output already
>exists, I do get the man page, even when I'm not root,
>but I also get the error message described above.
>Does anyone know what causes this?
>Any help would be appreciated.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to have this problem, as it cost
me $20 to get the answer from Yggdrasil tech support.  "man" needs to
be setuid man, not setuid root.  It worked for me.

--
Peter Fales                       AT&T, Room 9C-242
N9IYJ                             2000 N. Naperville Rd.

1. Problem with man on Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux

...namely and to wit, it only works when I'm root.  If I
try to use it from any other account, I get the message
"Problem setting effective user id" and no output.
From the output of "man -d" is appears that the problem
is somewhere after the formatted output is copied to
catman/whatever.  Curiously, if the catman output already
exists, I do get the man page, even when I'm not root,
but I also get the error message described above.
Does anyone know what causes this?
Any help would be appreciated.
--
-Dave Empey (speaking only for myself)
 ...all Angelenos *know* that those dastardly Canadians have specially

2. http://command.com.inter.net/~sod/

3. Comilation of Linux kernel for "Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux"

4. port mapper failure

5. New Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux Release

6. Badness in local_bh_enable at kernel/softirq.c:136

7. Using UMSDOS with Yggdrasil Plug-And-Play Linux

8. installing DBENGINE for Postgres

9. Yggdrasil Fall 1994 Plug-and-Play Linux

10. Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux: Fall 1994 "revB" floppy

11. New Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux Release

12. Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux CD-ROM forsale

13. Booting Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play from DOS