LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by Kirk Kaise » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Where can I get a copy of LINUX for free off the NET ??????

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by Bill Schoenbor » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

> Where can I get a copy of LINUX for free off the NET ??????

Try ftp.cdrom.com  There you should find a slackware distribution.

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw your post.  It is reminiscent of
the fortune teller that is included with slackware.  Just install and you will
see.

--
LinuX:  "This ain't no Blanket Draggin' OS, Charlie Brown"

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by -Lurc » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

saying:

Quote:>=>Where can I get a copy of LINUX for free off the NET ??????

try ftp'ing to sunsite.unc.edu or tsx11.mit.edu (I think that's right,
please post right one if not! Be prepared to spend a lot of time
downloading.

IMHO - you'd be better off bying a book with a cd in the back of it
that has the distribution on it. That way you might get a good book
about configuring it...
* "This is Liberty Hall - You can spit on | Brian Catlin       *

* -Commodore Grimes-  A. Bertram Chandler |                    *

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by Mark Trancha » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

>Where can I get a copy of LINUX for free off the NET ??????

Assuming you don't count the phone bill, try downloading the
Slackware distribution from, for example, sunsite.unc.edu,
in the directory pub/Linux/distributions/Slackware.

If you are a complete beginner, and don't get a kick out of the
sort of hacking that created Linux in the first place, I suggest
you get a book with the sources on CDROM.

Go for it.

Mark.

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by Alan Reiche » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

: saying:
:
: >=>Where can I get a copy of LINUX for free off the NET ??????
:
: try ftp'ing to sunsite.unc.edu or tsx11.mit.edu (I think that's right,
: please post right one if not! Be prepared to spend a lot of time
: downloading.
:
: IMHO - you'd be better off bying a book with a cd in the back of it
: that has the distribution on it. That way you might get a good book
: about configuring it...

Agree.  The Linux Unleashed book from SAMS is a good one.

- Alan

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by Kit Cosp » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

>Where can I get a copy of LINUX for free off the NET ??????

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat-3.0.3/i386/

--Kit

--

*Braves tickets available; field level, face value, email for details!*

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by Chris Pet » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

|> Where can I get a copy of LINUX for free off the NET ??????

        You can find it at tsx-11.mit.edu or sunsite.unc.edu.

        I pray to God you have a FAST modem and an auto-download
feature though, 'cuz it's about 100 MB in size.

        I recommend spending the hefty $10 or so and getting a Linux CD.

        Seriously, it's probably cheaper than what you'll be charged
for the download, particularly if you're downloading from, say, MSN or
CompuServe.  It takes about 10 hours to download.

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by John Flinchbau » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> saying:

> >=>Where can I get a copy of LINUX for free off the NET ??????

> try ftp'ing to sunsite.unc.edu or tsx11.mit.edu (I think that's right,
> please post right one if not! Be prepared to spend a lot of time
> downloading.

you may want to look around on these sights for a document called
mirrors.* or MIRRORS.*.  it's a list of other sights with the same
files, but hopefully run faster.

Quote:> IMHO - you'd be better off bying a book with a cd in the back of it
> that has the distribution on it. That way you might get a good book
> about configuring it...

i also recommend getting a cd set, but it's not necessary.  i installed
my first couple linux systems from downloaded disk sets.  i didn't d/l
much of it though before i went out and bought infomagic's developers'
kit.
the latest slackware release is 3.0--you want to watch that with some
of the books out there.  some are a bit out of date.
also the new stable kernels are soon due out, so you may want to wait
on purchasing the new disk sets until they include the new kernel.

i've managed to install a very comprehensive system without the use
of any books.  there are many text files to help you, and the linux
user base is very supportive.
--
_____________________}John Flinchbaugh{_______________________

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by Paul J. Me » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: > saying:
: >
: > >=>Where can I get a copy of LINUX for free off the NET ??????
: >
: > try ftp'ing to sunsite.unc.edu or tsx11.mit.edu (I think that's right,
: > please post right one if not! Be prepared to spend a lot of time
: > downloading.

: there are many text files to help you, and the linux
: user base is very supportive.

Check around locally too.  I carry a laptop with a copy of Slackware and
install it via ethernet on friends machines that ask for it.  As I know
some of them are passing it on as well, there may be an easy solution
right in your neighborhood.

Paul J. Mech

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by Robert Mob » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: Check around locally too.  I carry a laptop with a copy of Slackware and
: install it via ethernet on friends machines that ask for it.  As I know
: some of them are passing it on as well, there may be an easy solution
: right in your neighborhood.

        No Windows-vs-Linux here (I use both), but man the above makes
you sound like a drug dealer ;)

                              Robert L. Mobbs
                Microsoft WPG Software Development Engineer

                                     -
            "You can be the kindest of souls, but if you get a
             cannon ball in the crotch, it does you no good."
                                Knut Hamsun

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by s. keeli » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> : Check around locally too.  I carry a laptop with a copy of Slackware and
> : install it via ethernet on friends machines that ask for it.  As I know
>    No Windows-vs-Linux here (I use both), but man the above makes
> you sound like a drug dealer ;)

Pfaugh!  Linux is _much_ better than *!  :-)

--

    ------
  / ~Unix~ \     Microsoft: "One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them,

  |  1996  | \|/                        -- apologies to tolkien
  +--------+ ^^^

LINUX ...FREE ????

Post by Jim Bianc » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> > : Check around locally too.  I carry a laptop with a copy of Slackware and
> > : install it via ethernet on friends machines that ask for it.  As I know

> >       No Windows-vs-Linux here (I use both), but man the above makes
> > you sound like a drug dealer ;)

> Pfaugh!  Linux is _much_ better than *!  :-)

        <Black stretch limo pulls up to schoolyard. Tinted window purrs down.
Masculine voice is heard, asking, "Pssst. Linux, leetle gorl?">

        I could see a Really Hilarious Cheech and Chong routine built around
linux being better than * [man!] <grin>

        Cheech: Yeah, and this heavy dude named Torvalds in Finland or one
of them places..
        Chong: Finland? Where's that, man?
        Cheech: That's somewhere out by San Bernadino.
        Chong: Oh, yeah, I know that dude, man. We all jammed together once.
He played a groovy bass, man..

 ---

Eclectic Garbanzo BBS, (707) 539-1279

1. Melbourne Australia is Linux Free

2. /etc/system definition donot take effect

3. Is Linux free?

4. Gentus linux locations

5. Linux + Free ORB = Revolution?

6. problem about RARP(Reverse Address Resolution Protocol)

7. NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 9 August 2000: GNU/Linux/Free OS Beginners Group Meeting

8. shell scripts - then: then/endif not found error

9. help with Linux FreeS/Wan VPN installation

10. Database for linux - free