installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by MJS » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 08:17:23

What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM? Its
purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only task
it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh session
for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be fast
enough as a router?

                                                MJS

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by Victor Wagn » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:13:41

 : What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM? Its
 : purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only task
 : it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh session
 : for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be fast
 : enough as a router?

 Of course, it is enough to run Linux. I now run Debian distribution
 mirror on 8mb 486, which syncs with master site via rsync and serves
 files both via ftp and http.

 But you shouldn't try to install RedHat on such machine. Redhat
 "user-friendly" installation program is crap, as anything which is
 marketed as "user-friedly" and needs some 48Mb.

 Better not to try to install anything on it - just put harddisk
 into another, more powerful machine. Then, when you've do most dirty
 work, and compilied custom kernel, place disk back.

 And I'd not recommend to install RedHat on anything but end-user
 workstation.

 On the machine with limited resources one need a distribution which
 allows fine-grained selection of software. Debian is the best in this
 area. Probably Slackware would do too.

 Of course, recent installation programs of these distributions are
 memory-hungry too. When I've to setup mirroring machine mentioned above
 (that time it was 4mb) I was unable to install latest stable version.
 It's installation program needed 12Mb. So I've got installation CD of
 previous version, which supported low-memory installs, installed it
 and then upgraded. It is one additional point in favor of Debian -
 ability to upgrade without reboot.

 :                                              MJS

--
It's now the GNU Emacs of all terminal emulators.
        -- Linus Torvalds, regarding the fact that Linux started off as a terminal emulator

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by terr » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 05:54:14

> What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM? Its
> purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only task
> it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh session
> for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be fast
> enough as a router?

>                                                 MJS

Try Slackware on it.  You might have better luck.
If you must have RedHat, try v 6.0 or 6.1
--
Registered Linux User #188099
Quote:><>

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by David Bolto » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 05:52:04

> What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM? Its
> purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only task
> it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh session
> for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be fast
> enough as a router?

I installed slackware on my 486, but it has 16 megs of ram.  I haven't
done much with it yet (I'm hoping to run it as an in-house MySQL server
so I can learn a bit of database programming and networking), however in
the test drives that I've given it so far, it seems adequate.  Sure
beats having the thing sit around collecting dust.

David
--
00110010 10010110 01110110 10101110 00011110
www.ideaplace.org/dlb.html

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by Floyd Davidso » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 06:18:52

>What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM? Its
>purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only task
>it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh session
>for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be fast
>enough as a router?

It can be done rather well.  You of course can't run an X
server, nor can you edit files with Emacs.  But you can use ssh
to access it and nfs to mount everything on your regular desktop
machine, hence the minimal configuration isn't even an
inconvenience.

However, you don't want Red Hat under any circumstance.  You
might find Slackware useful if you want a starting point using
a regular distribution.  But, check this out:

    Linux Router Project (LRP) n.
    A networking-centric micro-distribution of
    Linux.

    LRP is small enough to fit on a single
    1.44MB floppy disk, and makes
    building and maintaining routers, access
    servers, thin servers, thin clients,
    network appliances, and typically embedded
    systems next to trivial.

Take a look at <http://www.linuxrouter.org>.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 07:50:44

>>What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM? Its
>>purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only task
>>it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh session
>>for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be fast
>>enough as a router?
> It can be done rather well.  You of course can't run an X

Yes you can. I use an 8MB 486sx50 as an X terminal.

Quote:> server, nor can you edit files with Emacs.  But you can use ssh

I use vi. And I launch my xterms from an application server ..

Quote:> to access it and nfs to mount everything on your regular desktop

Well, yes, but that's not necessary, since you WILL be working on
your regular desktop, via ssh or rsh, in all liklihood.

I run X and an Xconsole, a couple of getty's, init, inetd, rpc.*, and
that's it. I have 4MB swap.

Peter

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by Floyd Davidso » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:54:26

>>>What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM? Its
>>>purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only task
>>>it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh session
>>>for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be fast
>>>enough as a router?

>> It can be done rather well.  You of course can't run an X

>Yes you can. I use an 8MB 486sx50 as an X terminal.

But Peter, you are a *known* glutten for pedantic punishment.

I remember setting up X on a 486DX33 with 8 Mb of RAM.  Yeah.  I
went out and bought 4 each 4 Mb SIMMs immediately!  It
originally had 8 each 1Mb SIMMs and I took 4 of those out and
put in the 4 news ones to give me 20 Mb.  That was X11R5 still I
think, and the X server took up right at 8Mb (or to be more
precise, and idle system with X running was using 8Mb of RAM),
and all it took, with only 8Mb or RAM, was invoking anything
bigger than ls to cause it to swap!

All was fine with 20Mb, but then I changed the cpu to a DX2-66
and figured I deserved to be able to run a real editor.  So I
fired up XEmacs.  That is when I went out and coughed up more
bucks for a second set of 4 each of those 4Mb SIMMs to have a
total of 32Mb of RAM.  (Those 4Mb cards were over $100 each in
those days too, so we are talking a big chunk of change invested
in RAM.)

Quote:>> server, nor can you edit files with Emacs.  But you can use ssh

>I use vi. And I launch my xterms from an application server ..

>> to access it and nfs to mount everything on your regular desktop

>Well, yes, but that's not necessary, since you WILL be working on
>your regular desktop, via ssh or rsh, in all liklihood.

I'd prefer nfs mounted filesystems and using the pair of Athlons
in my the desktop box rather than reducing myself to suffering
vi, and especially on a 486sx.

Quote:>I run X and an Xconsole, a couple of getty's, init, inetd, rpc.*, and
>that's it. I have 4MB swap.

But you are *purposefully* trying to rough it.

--

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:46:48

>>> It can be done rather well.  You of course can't run an X

>>Yes you can. I use an 8MB 486sx50 as an X terminal.
> But Peter, you are a *known* glutten for pedantic punishment.

Not sure it's purposeful. What else can one do with a perfectly
serviceable TP500?

Quote:> I remember setting up X on a 486DX33 with 8 Mb of RAM.  Yeah.  I
> went out and bought 4 each 4 Mb SIMMs immediately!  It

I had a desktop like that. It inherited all the other machines simms as
they all died. It did indeed end up with something like 40 or 50MB
of ram. It worked fine as an X terminal too!

Quote:> originally had 8 each 1Mb SIMMs and I took 4 of those out and
> put in the 4 news ones to give me 20 Mb.  That was X11R5 still I
> think, and the X server took up right at 8Mb (or to be more
> precise, and idle system with X running was using 8Mb of RAM),
> and all it took, with only 8Mb or RAM, was invoking anything
> bigger than ls to cause it to swap!
> All was fine with 20Mb, but then I changed the cpu to a DX2-66
> and figured I deserved to be able to run a real editor.  So I
> fired up XEmacs.  That is when I went out and coughed up more

Aha.

Quote:> bucks for a second set of 4 each of those 4Mb SIMMs to have a
> total of 32Mb of RAM.  (Those 4Mb cards were over $100 each in
> those days too, so we are talking a big chunk of change invested
> in RAM.)

Yes. I hope you at least reused the case. They're OK for giant servers
nowadays!

Quote:>>> to access it and nfs to mount everything on your regular desktop

>>Well, yes, but that's not necessary, since you WILL be working on
>>your regular desktop, via ssh or rsh, in all liklihood.
> I'd prefer nfs mounted filesystems and using the pair of Athlons
> in my the desktop box rather than reducing myself to suffering
> vi, and especially on a 486sx.

The point is that the 486 _only_ runs X. The xterms and the vi or emacs
all come from the other machines processor cycles.

Quote:>>I run X and an Xconsole, a couple of getty's, init, inetd, rpc.*, and
>>that's it. I have 4MB swap.
> But you are *purposefully* trying to rough it.

Well, the 4MBb swap is a bit tight sometimes. But the disk is 170MB, of
which only 80MB is dedicated to linux. When I need more swap I put down
a 4MB swapfile in the vfat part.

Peter

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by Richard Pit » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:54:39

I'ts old but I still use it
http://edge.fireplug.net - floppy bootable firewall

richard

--
Richard C. Pitt   C.E.O. Belcarra Messaging Corp.

Embedded Linux Systems: Design, Creation, Integration
Specializing in USB, Flash, and all things TCP/IP

Quote:> What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM? Its
> purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only task
> it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh session
> for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be fast
> enough as a router?

> MJS

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by Victor Wagn » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:33:35

:>
:>> It can be done rather well.  You of course can't run an X
:>
:>Yes you can. I use an 8MB 486sx50 as an X terminal.

: But Peter, you are a *known* glutten for pedantic punishment.

: I remember setting up X on a 486DX33 with 8 Mb of RAM.  Yeah.  I
: went out and bought 4 each 4 Mb SIMMs immediately!  It

Probably you were setting an X workstation, rather than X terminal.
8MB is just enough for X server and nothing more. But nothing more
is needed for X terminal. Even window manager run on the host.

: and all it took, with only 8Mb or RAM, was invoking anything
: bigger than ls to cause it to swap!

Why would you invoke even ls on X terminal? It shouldn't have
hard disk

--
If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a lot
of different places, just write a Unix operating system.

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by Roal Zanazz » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 07:55:33

Quote:> What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM?
Its
> purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only
task
> it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh
session
> for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be
fast
> enough as a router?

This is my 2cents (of Euro, naturally ;-)
I'm (re)beginning with Linux (so I consider myself a newbie), but I've
just installed a Debian 2.2r5 on a Pentium166 with 8MB of RAM.
I think many experts would suggest you to use a distro more suited for
gateway/networking purposes, such as Debian (I'm not a Debian fan, right
now, I'm still using Mandrake to learn) or Slackware.

From what I've read on this and other Linux NGs, I think a 486 will be
fast enough as a router, if coupled to a decent 100MBit NIC.
--
Roal Zanazzi

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:19:43

>>> It can be done rather well.  You of course can't run an X

>>Yes you can. I use an 8MB 486sx50 as an X terminal.

> But Peter, you are a *known* glutten for pedantic punishment.

What means glutten?

Beware, he's known, running Linux on the cheapest/crapy/oldest/or
other wise unreliable hw he can put his fingers on....;-))

"Once", I have had a 386DX33 with 4 MB, an amazing fast box in
those times, and running X/fvwm was possible, of course setup was
not this intuitive as today, you needed to calculate the Modelines
for XF86Config on your own, well it took a monce, but teached
lots...

Today, every release of SuSE/KDE gets more bloated and you
sometimes get pop-ups on your desktop, you would only expect with
M$...;-(

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by terr » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:12:42

> > What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM?
> Its
> > purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only
> task
> > it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh
> session
> > for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be
> fast
> > enough as a router?

> This is my 2cents (of Euro, naturally ;-)
> I'm (re)beginning with Linux (so I consider myself a newbie), but I've
> just installed a Debian 2.2r5 on a Pentium166 with 8MB of RAM.

Is that a P166 or P166MMx?  ...just curious

--
Registered Linux User #188099
<><

installing linux on 8MB RAM

Post by <k.. » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:06:58

> What do You think about installing Red Hat 7.2 on 486 with 8MB RAM? Its
> purpose is only to be a gateway for subnet of 3 comps, so the only task
> it will do is routing and masquerading, sometimes opening a ssh session
> for root. Is it enough (8MB) to run linux? And would this gateway be fast
> enough as a router?

  A few things:

  1) You won't be able to do the install unless you add temporary memory
     or install from another machine (e.g., mount the drive in a more
         up-to-date machine and do an 'rpm --root' install to the temporary
         mount).

  2) The stock RedHat kernel will not run in 8Mb. You'll have to pare it
     down considerably.

  3) Whether or not the machine will serve depends on your traffic. It
     shouldn't be a bottleneck on a DSL connection, but anything faster
         will probably break it. I say this having run a router/firewall
         using a 2.2 kernel on a 486/25 with 16M RAM, so YMMV. The 2.4
         kernel is bigger and the firewalling has more features so may
         require a better machine.

  A better idea is to use of the firewall-on-a-floppy distributions.
  They're already pared down and work fine on older hardware. It's a
  simple matter to move the floppy to HD too.

1. I have 8Mb RAM, but free says only 6.8Mb ??

I have 8Mb of RAM. But when I do a free I get the following:

             total       used       free     shared    buffers
Mem:          6864       6612        252       5648         84
-/+ buffers:             6528        336
Swap:        35276       3208      32068
MemTotal:          6
MemFree:          0
MemShared:          5
Buffers:          0
Cached:          2
SwapTotal:         34
SwapFree:         31

I am looking at the "total" column, and it says that I only have 6.8Mb.

Where is my missing memory ??

Thanks for any responses!
--
Andrew Sarangan

2. how to boot NetBSD/Alpha from floppy

3. Cyrix 486, 8MB Ram: Fatal trap 1 with install floppy

4. help with systems programming

5. 8mb ram install help

6. Xscreensaver under Gnome problem

7. install RH to Compaq 486/33 SCSI 8Mb RAM

8. how do I trace packets??

9. Problems installing Slack 3.0 on 486dx 120 with 8mb ram

10. how to install RH5.1 on 386 w/ 8MB RAM??

11. can't install with 8mb ram

12. 486 install on 240mb drive w/ 8mb RAM using FreeBSD 2.2.5