free SMS sender program

Post by Cobne » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 02:09:29

Hi,

I'm looking for a free SMS sender program (for use in Belgium). If
possible, it should say when the SMS has arrived (like the program ICQ
does in windows).

hopefully this exists...

greetz
cobnet

free SMS sender program

Post by George D » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:50:25

]I'm looking for a free SMS sender program (for use in Belgium). If
]possible, it should say when the SMS has arrived (like the program ICQ
]does in windows).

http://www.styx.demon.co.uk/

free SMS sender program

Post by Cobne » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:14:54

> ]I'm looking for a free SMS sender program (for use in Belgium). If
> ]possible, it should say when the SMS has arrived (like the program ICQ
> ]does in windows).

> http://www.styx.demon.co.uk/

thx, but I've got some problems :-( I tried to install it, but when I try
to run it as user, I got following error:
!ERROR: Opening logfile: /var/adm/smslog

then, i try to run it as root (with the su command), and now the error is:
!Dialing SMSC 0640900139...
!ERROR: MODEM: stat() Failed
!
!Ensure that the device entry '/dev/modem' exists
!If you want to use a different device, change the
!value of 'MDM_device' in '/etc/sms/sms_modem' to that device.
!
!Total Elapsed Time: 0 Seconds

I'm using an ethernet card, but what do I have to write then in the
sms_modem file? What could I've done wrong so this doesn't work?

greetz
cobnet

free SMS sender program

Post by Adam Shor » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:34:01

Cobnets bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

Quote:> thx, but I've got some problems :-( I tried to install it, but when I
> try to run it as user, I got following error:
> !ERROR: Opening logfile: /var/adm/smslog

> then, i try to run it as root (with the su command), and now the error
> is: !Dialing SMSC 0640900139...
> !ERROR: MODEM: stat() Failed
> !
> !Ensure that the device entry '/dev/modem' exists
> !If you want to use a different device, change the
> !value of 'MDM_device' in '/etc/sms/sms_modem' to that device.
> !
> !Total Elapsed Time: 0 Seconds

> I'm using an ethernet card, but what do I have to write then in the
> sms_modem file? What could I've done wrong so this doesn't work?

Sounds like the program runs like a "proper" SMS client, ie it actually
dials the phone number you want to send a message to, rather than routing
the message over the internet to the network and allowing them to do the
work.

If you want to use it, it looks like you'll need a modem.

--
"CanYouPleaseHelpMeToFixTheSpaceBarOnMyKeyboard?" - Tech support email.

free SMS sender program

Post by Cobne » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:32:31

> Cobnets bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

>> thx, but I've got some problems :-( I tried to install it, but when I
>> try to run it as user, I got following error:
>> !ERROR: Opening logfile: /var/adm/smslog

>> then, i try to run it as root (with the su command), and now the error
>> is: !Dialing SMSC 0640900139...
>> !ERROR: MODEM: stat() Failed
>> !
>> !Ensure that the device entry '/dev/modem' exists
>> !If you want to use a different device, change the
>> !value of 'MDM_device' in '/etc/sms/sms_modem' to that device.
>> !
>> !Total Elapsed Time: 0 Seconds

>> I'm using an ethernet card, but what do I have to write then in the
>> sms_modem file? What could I've done wrong so this doesn't work?

> Sounds like the program runs like a "proper" SMS client, ie it actually
> dials the phone number you want to send a message to, rather than routing
> the message over the internet to the network and allowing them to do the
> work.

> If you want to use it, it looks like you'll need a modem.

D*mn, bad news... so, let me reformulate my question :-):

Does sb. knows a (free) program wich can use a ethernet card (connected to
a cable modem) to send (free) SMS's in Belgium (that is to KPN orange,
Proximus, Mobistar,...)?

Options (in order of decreasing importancy) wich would be great (but not at
all necessary, as long as it works, that's fine for me):
1. being able to see whether the SMS has arrived yes or no
2. adressbook
3. graphical user interface
4. no sign up needed

Hopefully sb understand what I'm trying to say here and is be able to help
me...